Adventure of the Seas questions

Hi, guys. We are booked on the Adventures of the Seas Southern Caribbean cruise, leaving SJ on July 31. I have searched for answers to my questions but haven't been able to find them. (Or I have found them in the past and can't find my way back to them. lol) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Which are the formal nights? Does anyone who has cruised on the aos lately remembered what the theme nights are, if there were any, or what the main menu selection nights are, like lobster night?

2. Does anyone know what night the ice shows are and how and when we get tickets? I think I saw something that said we need to line up at 10am but I don't remember which day we needed to line up. What if we normally get off the ship early for excursions? Just out of luck?

Thanks again.

Hi, guys. We are booked on the Adventures of the Seas Southern Caribbean cruise, leaving SJ on July 31.

We wre leaving on the 31st as well out of San Juan. We have 3 families totaling 11 people. Ages of the kids are 13-18.

Counting 34 days...........Wow the time has gone by.:) :) :) :)

I think that they formal nights were the 2nd and 4th nights... Usually the "at sea days;" I think. I'm almost positive that lobster is served on the 2nd formal night... which I missed the last time because we went to Portofinos. But be sure to try the Lobster Bisque, they have it as a soup on a couple of nights.

I don't remember when the ice show was, but they'll announce when the tickets are available; just watch the "cruise compass." It'll say when and where to get them, they are free you just have o pick them up... Good show, don't miss it or the comedian, or quest.

We just got back. On our itinerary, formal nights were Monday (St. Thomas) and Thursday (St. Lucia). I can't remember what we ate either night! I think the second formal night was Italian night though. We had lobster (with shrimp) on Friday night and prime rib was another choice.

Ice shows were Tuesday and Thursday night. We didn't have any trouble picking up tickets, didn't wait in line or anything. We just got them when we took the kids ice skating that day. The show was crowded, thought, and I would plan to get there early. Much better than the last ice show we saw.

Let me know if any more ?

KJ, thanks for the helpful info. I was worried that we would miss the ice show tickets because we have a tendency to leave the ship pretty early in the morning and not come back until late afternoon. Is the kids have fun ice skating? I heard it is pretty small.

Prime rib and lobster on the same night? Geez... That could be a hard one. Seconds on lobster or prime rib? ;)

KJ, anything we shouldn't miss? Did you have any fabulous excursions? We are planning snuba in St Thomas, the Eco-Tour with Eli in Antigua and the turtle swim with Thriller in Barbados.

Kris, congratulations. What a great way to spend a honeymoon!

BTW, we received our documents via email. Should we be expecting more than that?

I always order the surf and turf minus the turf, heavy on the surf. Last summer, I was following a low (no) carb, south beach/ atkins kind of diet. I had four lobster tails (no appetizers, salad or bread) with steamed vegetables. Our server told me I was the winner for both seatings (not really proud of it, but they were so good and total weight of all four tails was about 14 oz (3.50 to 4.00 each) They are sometimes small, but oh...so tasty. Cant' wait to see what AOS has to offer in 12 days~

It is a sin that they have Prime Rib and Lobster entrees on the same night. They are two of my favorites. I'm also so upset that they now use this garlic butter recipe on the lobster. I have a serious aversion to garlic and special ordered it made without. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have any butter they can melt on board (the patties at the table allegedly don't melt well) so it came out very dry and bland. Yuk, sadly unedible for me. Oh, well, not worth getting upset about since there is always an abundance of food. Interesting that on our last Voyager cruise they were able to make it without garlic recipe and it came out fine.

We did Eli's for the second time. It is a blast. Also did Silver Moon II in Barbados and it was fabulous. Both kids with us, 8 and 12, loved both of these trips! We asked Silver Moon if they could get us wet up on the net in front of the boat and we were soaked. The 8 year old was so cute, she said, "This is so much fun, I will never forget this the rest of my life!"

Did the Catamaran cruise to Fond Doux Estates in St. Lucia for the second time. It is a great way to see some of the island and we loved it as much the second time. St. Lucia is absolutely beautiful and one of our favorite islands. It is a long day and kindof boring for kids though. The kids complained but I think somewhere inside it wasn't that bad (I think the 12 year old would have complained more if it was!).

If you haven't done America's Cup in St. Maartin it is a great choice. We had a really windy day and it was a blast, even though we ended up on the Canadian boat and lost the race by a nose.

Yes, the kids absolutely loved the ice skating. Did it several times. The rink is small but it is a fun way to cool off out of the sun for awhile. My only problem is that the skates are so darn uncomfortable but it didn't bother them at all.

KJ, it all sounds great! Sorry to hear about the butter. That sounds odd to me, butter that won't melt? Oh well, a good reason to enjoy more prime rib.

Here are more questions.

I have read that dinner the first night is delayed half an hour for late arrivals and maybe muster. Was that true for you?

Did you come in early or transfer directly to the ship from the airport? How was the transfer and what was the cost? (We have folks doing it both ways.)

Did you do any shopping? Anything fun, fabulous or great for kids' souvenirs? Where did you find the best deals?

Thanks again. You are a wealth of information.

I have a friend that works in the AOS as a waiter. If you ask for him the first day, as soon as you get on the ship, you wont regret it. He is wonderful, and will give you so much food you won't believe it.We always have 2 o 3 entrees, 2 first, 2 seconds and desserts( or more). His name is Shankar Koulkarni, ( from India) and my name is Carmen, from Miami. If you are on a diet, them make sure you ARE NOT on his table, ,,,,,,

Apparently, the butter patties don't melt but only burn. Sounds strange to me. Why can't they just turn down the heat? Anyway, I survived a cruise without lobster!

Dinner the first night was 6:00 and 9:00. Only the late seating was delayed due to muster, which was 8:30. Most people ate in the Windjammer that night. Our head waiter said over 50% did not eat in the main dining room that night and I think that is typical.

We arrived the night before and stayed at the Caribe Hilton. I think we paid about $17 to get from the port to the airport coming home. When you get off your plane to go directly to the port, make sure to see the taxi dispatcher who will give you a ticket with the price you should pay for your cab trip.

We did not shop at all, believe it or not. I am not a shopper whatsoever. That being said, in the past we have found St. Maarten to be our favorite shopping port on this itinerary. St. Thomas is good too but it seems to me they have more jewelry than anything else. St. Maarten has more variety.

Finally, Honeymooner, you really should do the Silver Moon catamaran trip in Barbados. It is awesome! Check out the Barbados board for many reviews and their web site. If you can't find it, just let me know and I will look for you. Basically, 18 people on the Silver Moon II. We swam with turtles, snorkeled 2 shipwrecks, went to beach and swam, and had a blast riding on the catamaran. Also a great lunch. Can't be beat.

Any more questions, ask away.

We didn't arrive until late Saturday night. I know there are some Subway shops and I think a Burger King in Old San Juan. My husband and I ate at a great local place once but I know my kids wouldn't like it. Maybe someone on the San Juan board could give some good ideas for dining with kids.

Before boarding we went to San Cristobol (sp?) fort. We have previously been to the other fort, El Morro, and they are both interesting. However, my 12 year old liked San Cristobol better. It is definitely worth it to walk around downtown Old San Juan to see the huge wall built around the city and the forts.

I have been reading the boards for a while and the Silver Moon keeps coming up as THE thing to do. Should I opt not to go that route, what would be the next best thing to do in Barbados? Is the island "amazing" and a "must see" that I'd be foolish to be on a CAT all day? or...is this THE excursion that will show me all I need to see of this island.

Any advice is helpful!! Adam

KJ, when did you arrive in San Juan? Any good ideas for dinner with the kids that first night? Also, did you do anything in San Juan before boarding? What time did you board and how did that go? Thanks.

For something a bit more "island-y" than Subway or BK, there is a good Cuban restaurant called Metropol in Isla Verde across from the Wyndham El San Juan Hotel. It is really reasonably priced and the food is delicious.

Archived