Having lost.......Am I going to put it all back on?

Canugess

Avoid the buffet... Use the gym and chose one meal to have dessert at each day ( not all 3!) and walk round all the ports and 6 times round the ship on sea days!... Either that or resign yourself to putting it all back on..,

I wouldn't weigh yourself as soon as you get home. Eat as you have before the cruise and continue this for a few weeks. The reason I say this is "they say" that your skin will absorb the sea salt in the air. SO if you do gain, it may just be that. I wouldn't want you to be discouraged and resort to unhealthy eating because you think you gained weight.

I would stop worrying for one...stress is NOT GOOD with regards to weight management.

Understand this too...the likelihood that you will gain water weight is high. It is very difficult to eat restaurant prepared food for any length of time and not retain water. The seasoning in restaurant prepared food is generally heavy handed and no matter how "good" you think you are being...you can't completely avoid the sodium. For instance, even if you order grilled chicken...it is likely that the chicken was brined prior to being grilled and then it is also likely that it was seasoned or rubbed prior to being grilled. So even though there may be no fat added to your grilled chicken...your body may react to it and retain some water because of the methodology that restaurants use for seasoning. This type of weight gain is temporary. Just think of your body being out of balance for a bit...once you return to your plan at home, your body will regain its balance and let go of that water.

So to help combat this...pay very close attention to your water intake. Do your very best to stay hydrated, drinking water throughout the day and compensating for any caffeine and/or alcohol that you drink.

Additionally, I think your maintenance strategy on board will be partially determined by what lead to your weight gain in the first place. You have to know what it is that starts you on the road to weight gain and devise some strategies for dealing with these triggers. First and foremost though...is the power of a premade decision. The power of your thoughts. It isn't necessarily setting up a bunch of do's and don'ts...it is thinking through the different scenarios and knowing in advance what decision you will make.

The biggest decision that you can make is to just simply not overeat. I understand...harder said than done...but you have to just make a decision here and stick with it. Be the annoying person with the special requests. Think of your meals as a balancing act...have a clue what dessert, if any, you want. And plan your meal accordingly. Ask for the starch to be left off your dinner plate if you want dessert or bread. Make adjustments as needed. Don't eat everything on your plate! Eat slowly and enjoy your food. Put your fork down. Focus on conversation.

You can do it!

I exercised for half hour plus a day and I came back only putting on a single pound . And trust me I was still eating well ( not too naughty but naughty enough ! )

It's easy if you are disciplined !!

Good luck

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I just came off the Star Princess. I had lost 25lbs during the 2 months prior to the cruise, by doing a low cal diet. I knew that I was going to put on weight during the trip and decided to go "all in" and enjoy my vacation, and get back to the healthy eating when back on land.

I ate VERY WELL, and I only gained 5lbs....which is just fine with me! This wall all food...almost no alcohol and sugar drinks.

It's very possible to not gain weight. I avoid elevators and use the stairs. I eat like I do on land, but allow myself to indulge a little. I avoid the buffet because its miles of empty carbs... I may hit it once during the cruise because its convenient... But don't go for broke trying to eat everything in the line. And drink lots of water... Hydration is key and will keep you from eating too many snacks. And no guilt about not following your diet... Make a promise to yourself that on x date after the trip you will resume life pre-cruise. I guess I do swing by the buffet occasionally to grab a few pieces of fruit for my cabin so I have a healthy snack available. I also bring some protein bars as well... These come in handy for excursions... Some times they push meal time late, and a late meal makes me grumpy... Or I will go back and stuff myself silly if at been too long between meals.

Kari

Archived