Just curious ...

Lady Chew

I have never cruised with a minor child for whom I was responsible ... but of course here on CC I read about needing birth certificates and letters from non-custodial parents, etc etc ... and now I'm wondering - what do you need in this post-9/11 world when you fly with your minor child?

The last time I flew with my sons when they were minors, they had their drivers licenses, and when I flew with them when they were little I don't recall needing anything.

I have never cruised with a minor child for whom I was responsible ... but of course here on CC I read about needing birth certificates and letters from non-custodial parents, etc etc ... and now I'm wondering - what do you need in this post-9/11 world when you fly with your minor child?

Sounds like your own kids are adults and you're taking grandkids? There are international laws that address child trafficking and parental abduction. A letter from the bio parent(s) is required giving permission for the other parent or a non-parent to take minors internationally. The letter doesn't need to be lengthy or details...just giving you (and possibly your spouse) permission to take the named kids, where you're going, and what date you will return. The letter does need to be notarized. That said, my ex- and I have gladly let the other take our son all over the world, and neither of us has ever been asked for the letter...but you never know. Various "traveling with kids" websites have sample letters you can use.

Just as important is to have a separate letter giving you medical authority for the minors, should they just need some meds for a minor bug, or something more serious. Also, copies of the kid's insurance card.

Hope that helps!

Sounds like your own kids are adults and you're taking grandkids? There are international laws that address child trafficking and parental abduction. A letter from the bio parent(s) is required giving permission for the other parent or a non-parent to take minors internationally. The letter doesn't need to be lengthy or details...just giving you (and possibly your spouse) permission to take the named kids, where you're going, and what date you will return. The letter does need to be notarized. That said, my ex- and I have gladly let the other take our son all over the world, and neither of us has ever been asked for the letter...but you never know. Various "traveling with kids" websites have sample letters you can use.

Just as important is to have a separate letter giving you medical authority for the minors, should they just need some meds for a minor bug, or something more serious. Also, copies of the kid's insurance card.

Hope that helps!

We just returned from taking our 12 year-old granddaughter to Paris, JFK-CDG-JFK. We had all the documentation you described. Our son-in-law found a form online that they used for the permission letter. We weren't asked for the letter either at JFK or CDG. However, we were separated at immigration leaving CDG and our granddaughter was asked if she was traveling alone. We felt very comfortable having the letter and insurance info because, as Kenish said, you never know.

That said, my ex- and I have gladly let the other take our son all over the world, and neither of us has ever been asked for the letter...but you never know.

It often depend which countries you travel to. In some countries, they have had serious problems with child trafficking in the past. A cruise will be a little different than a land-based holiday, of course, since your documents have already been checked at the port of departure, the child has its own ship card, etc. Countries where you possibly can be asked to provide documentation that I am sure of are the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Venezuela, Ukraine and Romania.

Archived