Review: Tahitian Princess 6-13-05 Part I

RNay

The soda you find on most of the islands is "light" soda, not diet. The cost is the same as on the ship.

Also, be careful if you purchase a bottled soda. My sister did and didn't notice until she was on the ship that it had been opened and refilled with water (no sprite in it). Check the tab around the neck to make sure it hasn't been opened..

JRoeT,

We found this excursion inside the open air building on the dock at Raiatea. The board was titled "Faaroa River Tour". I do not remember our guide's name, if she told us, but she was excellent. She spoke very good English. A man drove the canoe, which by the way, did have a motor on it. There were three tours listed on this board, I believe, so you choose the one you want. We were limited by time, so we could not take any of the tours that went over to Tahaa. Our tour left at 9:30 am and returned about 12:30 pm.

Renee

We spent four nights pre-cruise at the Moorea Beachcomber. We had originally reserved a beach bungalow, but when we arrived they offered us an OWB for $80/night. They had a map showing which OWB's were available; and since there was one in a perfect location (we felt), we decided to go for it. It was wonderful. We snorkeled off our deck and fed the fish at night (including an octopus). The sunrises were spectacular (I don't usually see the sunrise, but I could never adjust to the time change).

The hotel is exactly what you would hope for ---- beautiful grounds, gorgeous views, solitude (we very rarely saw another guest when we walked around in the evenings). The bugalows are beautiful ---- especially the bathrooms --- and very well maintained. Also, everyone we met was extremely friendly.

As for restaurants, I would definitely recommend Te Honu Iti. The restaurant is located on a covered deck, and they feed the stingrays so you can watch them swim around while you eat. We did not make a reservation and got a table right by the railing. The price was reasonable for Tahiti, about $30/person without drinks. The seafood/fish is especially good.

Another enjoyable evening is to attend the dinner and show at Tiki Village. I have seen some negative reviews about going there during the day, but the buffet and show were exceptional. The buffet has a large variety of mainly tahitian dishes --- be sure to try the coconut balls and breadfruit fries. The show is the best I've seen, and I've been to two luaus on Hawaii plus all of the polynesian shows you will see while you're in Tahiti.

The hotel has two restaurants ---- one very expensive and one slightly expensive ($12 chocolate mousse/$17 caesar salad with shrimp). If the cheaper one is closed downstairs, they have a similar menu in the back of the expensive restaurant. We only ate at the cheaper restaurant since we were getting on the cruiseship. However, the food was very good.

We also spent one night post-cruise at the ICB in Papeete, which is nice but doesn't compare to the one in Moorea.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

wyocruiser The thing that my husband and I love to do best on this cruise is snorkel. What was the water like under your bungalow? Was there any coral? Could you snorkel off the beach? Last time we went on excursions with Marc and Bruno. The reef that Bruno took us to in Tahaa was amazing. We will book both of these excursions again. Jan

Renee,

Thanks for your review. I have been in need of information for our cruise as well and little is to be found. I pretty much planned everything best I could but was wondering if you heard anything about the drift snorkel through princess? Anyone get cut on the coral?

Thank you,

Judith

Judith,

We didn't take the drift snorkel, but did hear about it from our tablemates and others. They all say it's a great place to snorkel, but yes, cuts are very common. It seems you should try to get in a small group, or else be in the front of the group, as the farther back you are, the harder it is to follow the path. They were able to do the course twice.

Renee

Judith,

We didn't take the drift snorkel, but did hear about it from our tablemates and others. They all say it's a great place to snorkel, but yes, cuts are very common. It seems you should try to get in a small group, or else be in the front of the group, as the farther back you are, the harder it is to follow the path. They were able to do the course twice.

Renee

Thanks Renee. Glad I booked through Princess on this one. I read it was best to do this through Princess since people were getting pretty badly cut on Bruno's tour with the larger groups and all the stopping and starting. Still these coral cuts have me freaked out and I am going to try my best to stay at the front of the line then. How bad did these cuts look on people?

Hoping you could answer another question. On Celebrity I can order full room service anytime. Fresh made pizza's 24 hours, lunch at breakfast time etc.. This is my 1st princess sailing, is this available on Princess as well? I just sailed RCCL last week and they drastically limited their room service. Breakfast foods only at breakfast time, pizza (one very small slice) no personal pizzas only 6:30pm-9:30pm, etc...

One of the reasons why I ask is my husband and I are planning on renting a boat ourselves and explore some motus without facilities and such. I usually bring a little cooler bag and some press & seal wrap and order some sandwiches and cookies to take wth us. Never had a problem doing this on Celebrity. In fact my cabin steward has brought us our room service breakfast then has taken our lunch order for our own little picnic and brought it right to us all wrapped up. On Royal Caribbean last week you couldn't even get sandwich foods in the morning. Someone told me in a post that passengers are not allowed to take food off the ship and they must have been catching onto what I was doing. Which I don't think I beleive becuase Celebrity was more than accomadating this past April with it. I just personally think RCCL is getting cheaper and cheaper. I don't do this to save money, I do it becuase it is easier for us to get to an obscure beach and not have to worry about being hungry.

Any thoughts on the subject? From what you experienced from room service do you think we will have any problems getting lunch foods in the morning?

Thank you for your help!!

Judith

Judith,

I didn't witness any bad cuts. Our tablemates had minor scratches, I think. She bumped into some fire coral accidentally. I think the local remedy is to pee on it! My husband and I brought gloves for snorkeling, though where we went we didn't need them. I think if you're with the smaller group, you'll be fine. I here it's awesome to see.

We did not use room service on this trip. I guess we were always getting plenty of food, but I do see your point. Princess has room service available 24 hours a day and the menu is in the room. There are definitely sandwiches and salads on the menu. I have not every heard of Princess restricting food leaving the ship, except for debarkation, of course. I'm sure you would have no problems with your requests and I bet that your room steward will be very helpful. From what I hear on these boards, Princess will deliver anything you like to your room.

Renee

Sorry about the lateness of this reply --- I've been out of town but decided to respond just in case you're still reading this thread.

The water under our bungalow at the IC Moorea was very nice with coral and fish (we even saw an octopus). From our bungalow, it was a short swim out to the main reef (located straight out from the dolphin center). The Sheraton also has good snorkeling.

I'm sure that you've already read about the excellent snorkeling area on Rarotonga; but if not, let me know.

Hi Could anybody recommend any hotels that are reasonable on Papeete or Mooera there will be 3 of us. Also I guess we will have to arrive early to be able to check in If you go to Mooera Beachcomber does anybody know the rates? If you have to take a ferry is there room for your luggage and do you have enough time to get to the ship for check in? Or is it better to stay in Papeete any suggestions? We will be arriving 1 or 2 days early We are taking the TP on Oct 31st. Thank You John

Cheapest rates for Intercontinental is via their website - intercontinental.com

We are going to Intercontinental Moorea, but are arriving 3 days ahead and probably will take Air Moorea since we are arriving after dark and then the ferry from Moorea to Papeete on embarkation day.

Good luck!

Laura

there are tons of wonderful smaller pensions( kind of like b&b's) on Moorea. check out http://www.thetahititraveler.com. prices are much more reasonable than the resorts. when you take the ferry, there is a large container to put your luggage in. it is safe, but to be honest, we watched it until it was loaded onto the ship. you could carry it with you if you feel the need. the ferry runs back to Papeete several times a day, you won't have any problems getting back to board the ship. we will be going back to Moorea for 3 nights precruise next time we go , in Jan. 07. if you decide to stay in Pateete, the intercontinental is the best!

Archived