Live From the Star Princess July 6 - 13

shootingstar07

Juneau, July 8, 2013

We are cruising toward Juneau and should arrive around 10:30. The seas are very calm now that we are protected by land on both sides. According to Captain Bain, it will take about 30 minutes to clear the ship. Until we are cleared, the longshoremen will not bring the gangways to the ship. It is cold, 55 degrees, and raining. We are and “all go” with Harv and Marv. We have Jayleen as our naturalist and Shawn as our Captain. Their 12 pax boat was already rented out when my group changed from 5 to 9, so they have leased a boat from another Captain. Will report back on this situation. I am looking forward to meeting Jayleen, Jay’s daughter. She takes some of the most beautiful pictures. You can check them out on their website.

But to pass the time until disembarkation, we headed off to another round of trivia. Somehow our group of 9 split up a little unfairly – 6 on one team and 3 on the other. I was in the group of 3. Somehow we managed to come up with 16 correct answers and win the ever so popular Princess belt hook/harbinger!!

What a sign of good things to come!! The weather was anything but predictable. We started out in fog at 11 a.m. After wandering around the port area, went back near the ship to board our transfer to the dock. By 1:30, we were in a downpour. By 3 the sun was out with a beautiful rainbow low on the horizon. Then more rain as it was time to re-board the Star at 6:30!! Just crazy – dry…wet…dry and then wet again. But what a marvelous tour we had with Harv & Marv!! Shawn was our captain and Jayleen our naturalist. Once upon the boat, in the pouring rain, we made our way out the channel to start looking for humpbacks. Finally found a solitary whale. It was starting to look like it would be a long day. Then Shawn had a call from another boat saying a mother and calf were spotted about 5 minutes into the pass. Off we went and sure enough, “there she blows”. The baby came and played around the boat – so close I thought we could reach out and touch her. The mother did seem to stay under longer periods of time. Jayleen explained she needed to eat in order to nurse her calf. She thought the calf was out 6 months old. At one point we got photos of them side by side swimming and a great fluke shot of the mother – almost a farewell to us since we had to head back to the dock shortly thereafter. I highly recommend Harv & Marv. They do try to make sure you have an enjoyable tour!! On the way back we stopped for 15 minutes at Mendenhall Glacier. We planned to stop in town to walk around, but as I mentioned, the downpour came again – so sadly we passed on Red Dog Saloon.

When we got back, we were all hungry but too late for early traditional dining, so went up to Horizon Court. Surprisingly, it was not crowded. We capped off the evening going to the comedy ventriloquist’s show – Dan Horn. He was ok. Perhaps I was just too tired.

By the way, the laundry rooms have remained open and will stay that way for the entire cruise. I was able to confirm this with my friend Fred who cleans the area.

That is it for this installment. I will try to answer any questions. Tomorrow we arrive in Skagway at 6:30. Our group is splitting up. Four of us are renting a jeep to drive up to the Yukon. Three are zip lining and two are going on the train to Carcross. So it will be another long day and sadly, I think it will be another wet one.

Hello Kathleen,

Your walk-around Sunday and today's arrival/departure from Juneau should have given you an idea of passenger composition. My thought is a lot of children and extended families? Your observations? How bundled up are the kids and what's it like standing on a balcony? (REALLY enjoy a balcony in the Mediterranean and the Caribbean in the winter!)

Seems like Juno is in 50s, Skagway maybe 60, Ketchikan warmer and Seattle now in low 70s. Look forward to your next posting.

DJ:)

There are a lot of children on board. Today we needed a lot of layers. Very warm on the ship. But I went topside to come into port - it was drizzling but only needed a light jacket. But later, during our tour, I had to wear a vest plus rain gear. My friend said it was cold yesterday on his balcony. I think when ship is under full steam it is hard to be on the balconies for any period of time.

Hi Kathleen. We love the Star, too. Took her for 30 days around the Horn to SFO a couple of years ago. Also a Baltic and an Alaska cruise. We're going to try the Emerald for the next two cruises.

Enjoy the Alaska cruise - wishing you good weather. Janeen says "Hi"

Howard

Howard, great to hear from you!! Hello to Janeen as well!!

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

I just found your "live" and am enjoying reading it. We love Alaska and have been there 6 times. :) There is always something new and different happening. Have also been on whale watching trips with Harv & Marv. They are the best and I hope you see lots of whales. Hello to Carlos!!:D

Meredith

Hi Meredith,

sure thought about you and Bob today remembering our tour last May with H&M!!! I even showed Shawn Bob's photo of the jumping seal!!! Hugs to both of you!!

Looks like water-proof outerwear is absolutely required! Hope you and your crowd have a good day in Skagway (wonder with 6am dinning how often tables go empty?). Would be great if you report back on all three of your selected activities.

My best,

Tuesday July 9, Skagway

Weather dawned cold and dreary, again. Rain in the forecast. All sweatshirts and raingear was in our carryon bags. Temps in the mid 50’s. I was on deck (bow of the ship, deck 8) as we came into Skagway. Cute little mining town and gateway for the White Pass Railway. For anyone visiting Skagway for the first time, the ship docks way out on a pier. It is a long walk down the pier – perhaps ½ mile. Into town might be 1 mile. If weather or walking is an issue, and you are not on a Princess tour, then purchase the shuttle ticket. Cost: $2 pp each way or $5 all day.

As previously mentioned, we rented our own Jeep for the drive to Carcross and Emerald Lake. We were actually late leaving the ship – 9:30 and walked to town to fill out the paperwork and get our Jeep. It was 10 a.m. by the time we headed out of town on the one and only highway. No getting lost here!! It was very nice being in our own vehicle; we could stop whenever and wherever we pleased and stay as long as we wanted. The company “Green Jeep” provided a map and book listing the sights along the route. We stopped along the way taking photo ops. As we approached Carcross, (about 70 miles from Skagway) the sun came out!! So we headed straight to Emerald Lake – worth it because of the beautiful colors of the lake with the sun reflecting off it. We drove back the 5 miles to town and headed to “the Chilkoot Trail Authentic Sourdough bakery” – a great place for soup, sandwich and the best homemade pastries around (like we need more pastries!!)

After lunch we walked around (not a lot in Carcross, but another cute little town) we headed back down the highway to Skagway. We had to have the Jeep back by 5 p.m. As we approached town, the heavens opened and the rains came. The walk back down the pier was rough, carrying everything with a cold wind driving the rain.

It was great getting back on board into the warmth of the ship and cabin. After a quick shower and change, off to Amalfi DR for our early traditional dinner. The evening agenda was centered around the Princess Theater and a performance by Tom Franken. This time he was backed by the orchestra. What a performance!! Do not miss him if you get the chance. He said he has been with Princess for 7 years and moves from ship to ship in the fleet.

Tomorrow: Glacier Bay!!

Looks like water-proof outerwear is absolutely required! Hope you and your crowd have a good day in Skagway (wonder with 6am dinning how often tables go empty?). Would be great if you report back on all three of your selected activities.

My best,

Yes, have your outwear, just in case.

Last night, there were a lot of empty tables in the MDR!! I think a lot of folks were late getting back from their trips on White Pass RR.

My grands had a marvelous time on their zip line experience. They said they were doing all kinds of back flips off the platform, doing 360's, etc. Our friends loved their trip on RR. We actually ran into them in Carcross.

Hope that your time cruising Glacier Bay includes some blue skies and that the captain guides the Star to give you some really good views! My memory of a distant visit was watching the series of glaciers to our right on the sail-out (experienced from atop of a treadmill looking through large picture windows). I guess the viewing will be interspersed with visits into the ship to warm-up? Ketchikan and then Victoria will be much warmer (and maybe at least Victoria will be dry?)!

Much thanks for the postings,

Tuesday July 9, Skagway

Weather dawned cold and dreary, again. Rain in the forecast. All sweatshirts and raingear was in our carryon bags. Temps in the mid 50’s. I was on deck (bow of the ship, deck 8) as we came into Skagway. Cute little mining town and gateway for the White Pass Railway. For anyone visiting Skagway for the first time, the ship docks way out on a pier. It is a long walk down the pier – perhaps ½ mile. Into town might be 1 mile. If weather or walking is an issue, and you are not on a Princess tour, then purchase the shuttle ticket. Cost: $2 pp each way or $5 all day.

As previously mentioned, we rented our own Jeep for the drive to Carcross and Emerald Lake. We were actually late leaving the ship – 9:30 and walked to town to fill out the paperwork and get our Jeep. It was 10 a.m. by the time we headed out of town on the one and only highway. No getting lost here!! It was very nice being in our own vehicle; we could stop whenever and wherever we pleased and stay as long as we wanted. The company “Green Jeep” provided a map and book listing the sights along the route. We stopped along the way taking photo ops. As we approached Carcross, (about 70 miles from Skagway) the sun came out!! So we headed straight to Emerald Lake – worth it because of the beautiful colors of the lake with the sun reflecting off it. We drove back the 5 miles to town and headed to “the Chilkoot Trail Authentic Sourdough bakery” – a great place for soup, sandwich and the best homemade pastries around (like we need more pastries!!)

After lunch we walked around (not a lot in Carcross, but another cute little town) we headed back down the highway to Skagway. We had to have the Jeep back by 5 p.m. As we approached town, the heavens opened and the rains came. The walk back down the pier was rough, carrying everything with a cold wind driving the rain.

It was great getting back on board into the warmth of the ship and cabin. After a quick shower and change, off to Amalfi DR for our early traditional dinner. The evening agenda was centered around the Princess Theater and a performance by Tom Franken. This time he was backed by the orchestra. What a performance!! Do not miss him if you get the chance. He said he has been with Princess for 7 years and moves from ship to ship in the fleet.

Tomorrow: Glacier Bay!!

Sounds like the jeep trip was nice...can't wait to do ours! We are enjoying "your cruise".

Our love to you & Carlos! (Are you needing the duct tape for Trivia??) :)

Joyce

Sounds like the jeep trip was nice...can't wait to do ours! We are enjoying "your cruise".

Our love to you & Carlos! (Are you needing the duct tape for Trivia??) :)

Joyce

Hi Joyce,

yes, Green Jeep was the "way to go" for do it yourself!! As I mentioned, it was just so nice having the flexibility to stop when we wanted. Phil & Peggy went on Princess tour to White Pass RR - they missed Emerald Lake!! Instead they were taken to dog mushing camp. Too bad.

Lucy loved our Jeep - said it handled well in the strong winds. BTW: yes, next time duct tape gets packed!!! Will call when we get home!!

Love to you and Tom

Kathleen

Hi Joyce,

yes, Green Jeep was the "way to go" for do it yourself!! As I mentioned, it was just so nice having the flexibility to stop when we wanted. Phil & Peggy went on Princess tour to White Pass RR - they missed Emerald Lake!! Instead they were taken to dog mushing camp. Too bad.

Lucy loved our Jeep - said it handled well in the strong winds. BTW: yes, next time duct tape gets packed!!! Will call when we get home!!

Love to you and Tom

Kathleen

Good to hear abou the jeeps...can't wait!

Also can't wait to hear about the duct tape for next time!!

Love you, Joyce

Good to hear abou the jeeps...can't wait!

Also can't wait to hear about the duct tape for next time!!

Love you, Joyce

forgot to tell you....we are #10 on the MTP list!!! Lowest was 86 days. The reason a cocktail party and not luncheon - not enough sea days. Only sea day is the first. They would never do Glacier Bay since Capt is on bridge during lunchtime.

Love

Kathleen

forgot to tell you....we are #10 on the MTP list!!! Lowest was 86 days. The reason a cocktail party and not luncheon - not enough sea days. Only sea day is the first. They would never do Glacier Bay since Capt is on bridge during lunchtime.

Love

Kathleen

I forgot there was only 1 sea day...congrats on being #10!! Have you seen Lisa (FCC)?

Love, Joyce

Kathleen,

Was the Most Traveled Cocktail party on Formal night? If not, were suits or jackets for men a must?

We have 269 days and will probably make it on our Star cruise.

Gloria,

MTP cocktail party is tonight in Glacier Bay. Dress is "smart Casual". Nice. Carlos is going to wear a sports coat - no tie. I have a pants suit. Will let you know if folks show up dressier than that. Time is 7 p.m. between the 2 dinner hours. Tough for early seating - eat then go eat some more!!!

Kathleen

Kathleen,

Was the Most Traveled Cocktail party on Formal night? If not, were suits or jackets for men a must?

We have 269 days and will probably make it on our Star cruise.

Gloria...Tom just wears slacks and shirt for the MTP cocktail parties...he does not wear a jacket. He will bring a suit for formal night only.

Tuesday July 9, Skagway

How much of a walk would you save if you used the shuttle? I assume you would still have to walk down to the end of the pier?

thanks for your review ... it is full of helpful info.

Hope that your time cruising Glacier Bay includes some blue skies and that the captain guides the Star to give you some really good views! My memory of a distant visit was watching the series of glaciers to our right on the sail-out (experienced from atop of a treadmill looking through large picture windows). I guess the viewing will be interspersed with visits into the ship to warm-up? Ketchikan and then Victoria will be much warmer (and maybe at least Victoria will be dry?)!

Much thanks for the postings,

Actually, when cruising the glaciers it's better to have overcast skies. You will see "windex" blue icebergs and the brilliant blues of the glaciers will be visible. The sea water will also take on an emerald green hue.

Gloria...Tom just wears slacks and shirt for the MTP cocktail parties...he does not wear a jacket. He will bring a suit for formal night only.

Just wondering how many days/cruises do you need to qualify for most travelled? Thanks!

Just wondering how many days/cruises do you need to qualify for most travelled? Thanks!

It really varies and, at times, depends on the itinerary, length of cruise, etc. Most times the 7 day Alaska or Caribbean cruises have fewer "seasoned" Elite travelers. We have been on some 7 days cruises where the top 40 Most Traveled cutoff is over 300 days and some where it is only 50 days. We have been one of the top 3 on many cruises (both long & short) and then there have been some 7 day cruises when we were 4th, 5th or 6th place (we have over 800 days with Princess). So you really never know...it is pretty much luck of the draw. :)

It really varies and, at times, depends on the itinerary, length of cruise, etc. Most times the 7 day Alaska or Caribbean cruises have fewer "seasoned" Elite travelers. We have been on some 7 days cruises where the top 40 Most Traveled cutoff is over 300 days and some where it is only 50 days. We have been one of the top 3 on many cruises (both long & short) and then there have been some 7 day cruises when we were 4th, 5th or 6th place (we have over 800 days with Princess). So you really never know...it is pretty much luck of the draw. :)

Thanks! So it is the 40 most travelled? Wow lots of days-going on 3 yrs!

Thanks! So it is the 40 most travelled? Wow lots of days-going on 3 yrs!

Yes, the top 40 most traveled passngers on the ship are invited to either a cocktail party or a special lunch with the Captain & senior officers. We love the lunch best but both are very nice.

We have been sailing on Princess since 1982...love cruising! :)

Archived