The Baths on our own or an Excursion

Kingisacruiser

I am trying to finalize all of our plans for our upcoming cruise. One of our stops will be Tortola. I would like to see The Baths but I can't figure out whether we should take a ferry by Speedy's (which looks like it covers a taxi ride), use an independent excursion company such as Dion's or ship excursion.

Does anyone have any ideas about which is the most cist effective and enjoyable. I know that ship excursions tend to be overpriced and seriously crowded. So that is really not my first choice.

We will be in Tortola from 8 am- 3 pm. We are a family of 6 (2 adults and 4 kids ranging in age from 16 to 5).

TIA

King there are several threads here on that topic, some for Dion are great while some are absolutely terrible. Many ppl take advantage of the ferry/taxi combo while others like us just hop the first available ferry and get our own taxi. We will also pay the extra $10 for the other ferry to get more time on VG.

So take a look at all of those discussions to see what risks you're willing to take with an independent.

I would definitely do a self-excursion rather than through the ship.

Enjoy!

The ferry schedule for Virgin Gorda depends on whether you're in port on Mon - Sat or on a Sun. On Mon - Sat Speedy's has a 9AM ferry to VG, on Sun you'd want Smith's 8:50 AM ferry departure.

For the return on Mon - Sat you'd want the Speedy's 12:40 PM departure from VG. There is no return on Sun that works for you.

It's a 30 min ferry ride each way so you'd have a little over 2.5 hrs for the short taxi to the Baths, the walk down the trail and through the boulders, back up the trail and taxi back to the ferry dock and ferry back to Road Town. You'd have to determine if it's worth the travel time for the time you have there.

I do recommend a visit to the Baths because they are a unique sight that you won't see elsewhere in the Carib.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived