Driving - San Francisco to LA

bronbeth

Hi -

We've decided to fly into San Francisco (staying about a week) before we go to LA (staying a few days) to board our ship in January. We would like to drive to between the two and have a couple of questions.

Which route - 101 or I5 - would be best?

We expect the drive to take around 7 hours - is that realistic?

Is there anything extra we should be aware of?

Thanks for your help.

Beth

I5 is fast but quite boring. You are going down the west side of the San Joaquin valley for most of it and there isn't much to see. US 101 is much more scenic and also fairly fast. It is mostly freeway and what isn't freeway is 4 lane divided highway and might as well be.

With no/minimal stops, you can do 5 in as little as 6 hours if you are lucky with traffic at either end. 101 will take 7 or so with no/minimal stops.

Both have their pros/cons.

The 5 is faster, but in January, the freeway can close down on the Grapevine (between Bakersfield and Castaic) due to snow/ice on the road.

The 101 is more scenic, but will take longer and depending on the time of day, there are traffic jams in Santa Barbara and Los Angeles.

I would take the 5 over the 101, unless the 5 is closed.

There are many places to stop on the 101--

Monterey (with it's beautiful aquarium), Hearst Castle, many of the Spanish Missions, BBQ in Santa Maria (now I have a craving).

The 5 is a bit (very) boring, passing thru grasslands and farmlands. No tourist attractions to speak of. I can only think of two- Harris Ranch for a meal and Fort Tejon. Fort Tejon's claim to fame is this is where camels were stationed in the 1850's. Not all the rest stops were open back in May along the 5.

If you are from out of the country and have the extra time, I would take the 101 and highway 1 through Big Sur. Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) is argueably the most scenic drive in the USA. It will take about 12-14 hours. You will not be disappointed.

Would definitely check the weather conditions on the I-5 before leaving SF. If there's even a possibility of snow (eg. if it's raining in LA), I would consider the 101 so you don't get trapped at a truck stop by the Grapevine.

It's a nice scenic drive by the coast, but takes longer, and you'll want to take some rest stops. I remember having to make reservations for Hearst Castle some years ago, and I'm guessing it's still the case, but plenty of other attractions on the way.

One of our favorite day trips (or overnight stays) in Ventura Harbor.

Just a few things to add to the other posts... I-5 is heavily patrolled by aircraft, and so are certain sections of 101. Traffic is fast and free-flowing (especially on (I-5) so watch your speed or make good use of the cruise control if the rental car has that.

I also agree with others that 101 is far more scenic. There can be pretty bad traffic congestion through Santa Barbara, especially on Sunday afternoons. If you're into wine, there are many wineries in the Buellton area where "Sideways" was filmed. Although 101 is the "coastal" route, be aware that you won't see the ocean except for the section between San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria (about 50km), and between Gaviota Beach and Ventura (about 100km). Using Hwy 1 through Big Sur between Monterey and San Luis Obispo is very scenic...somewhat similar to your Great Ocean Road but spectacular in a different way. The road has frequent landslides in winter, so check to be sure it's open and take 101 if Hwy 1 is closed.

As someone who was born and raised in California's San Joaquin Valley (where I-5 is located , I would definitely take Coastal Hwy 101! Especially since you'll be traveling in January. At that time of year, you can encounter our "famous" tule fog. It's a very thick, low ground fog that can be miserable to drive in, even if you're a local.

Take 101 if even it's a little slower. And if your time allows, break up the trip overnight somewhere on the Central Coast (midway between SF and LA) such as Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach, etc.

Enjoy California! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tule_fog

If you are from out of the country and have the extra time, I would take the 101 and highway 1 through Big Sur. Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) is argueably the most scenic drive in the USA. It will take about 12-14 hours. You will not be disappointed.

+1 on this suggestion!! If you have the kind of time you're talking about to spend in San Francisco and LA, shave a day off somewhere else and make this a two-day drive (or even three days), down Highway 1. It is one of the most beautiful drives on earth--mile after mile of jaw-dropping, spectacular scenery.

I would recommend that you take Highway 280 south out of San Francisco, and cut over to the coast on Highway 17, just before San Jose. That will bring you out on the coast at Santa Cruz, a pretty beach town with a university and a great boardwalk. Take Highway 1 south from there (alternatively, you can take Highway 280 to where it joins Highway 101, and take 101 to Salinas, where you could cut over to the coast on Highway 68 and pick up Highway 101 near Monterey). Monterey or Carmel would make good stop-overs if you're making this into a three-day excursion. Carmel is very twee and touristy, in a pretty, upscale way. There are lots of galleries and shops and some very good restaurants. Monterey is a little less posh, and it has a world-class aquarium that's definitely worth a visit.

From there, Highway 1 runs through Big Sur, and some of the most spectacular vistas you'll ever find. This road is not for the faint of heart--you're driving along the cliff overlooking the ocean much of the way. Try not to spend too much time looking at it unless you pull over (and do pull over!!) A second great place for a stop-over is somewhere around San Simeon. There, you can visit Hearst Castle, the home of William Randolph Hearst. Have you seen the Orson Welles movie "Citizen Kane"? It was based on William Randolph Hearst, and he was a fascinating character. They call this place a castle for a reason--it's enormous, and lavish beyond belief. There is so much to see, they've divided it into multiple tours--and it's actually worth taking at least a couple of them while you're there.

South of there, Highway 1 joins up with Highway 101 at San Luis Obispo. The road goes inland, and it's four-lane and divided most of the way now. You'll pass Solvang, a very touristy little town whose gimmick is trying to replicate an old Danish village. Solvang is located in the Santa Ynez valley, which is a very good wine-producing region, and worth a few stops if you enjoy wine-tasting. Santa Barbara is a little farther down the road, and also worth a visit. It's a lovely beach town, very posh, with a nice downtown shopping area and a beautiful Spanish mission that's nearly 250 years old. From there, you could continue on Highway 101 into Los Angeles (there are a couple of additional segments of Highway 1 south of San Luis Obispo, but you can skip them and stay on Highway 101 without missing too very much--you've seen the best parts of Highway 1 by that time).

One final tip about travel in January--you may run into winter weather on any of these routes (I-5, Highway 101, or Highway 1). If it's very stormy, Highway 1 could be a little scary. But I-5 has a hazard that the other roads don't: tule fog. In the winter, the valley sometimes develops a low, ground-hugging, very dense fog that reduces visibility substantially. I grew up in the very north end of the central valley, and went to college in Los Angeles--and I remember one year, driving back to school after Christmas, driving into a fog bank around Stockton and not coming out of it until I hit the Grapevine, 400 miles later!! Watch the weather reports and plan accordingly. It's well worth it to drive, but be prepared for a little bit of winter!

Having done it all three ways mentioned here, this is my take

5 - Definitely the fastest way to go (I do it in 5 1/2 - 6 hours except for one time when there was a rock slide on the Grapevine which tuned it into a nine hour trip :mad:)

1 - Very slow (count on at least 10 hours,) but beautiful drive.

101 - Splits the difference between the two. Budget 7 hours for this one.

Enjoy your trip!

Unless you have a lot of free time I'd avoid 1. When its not fogged in it is very scenic. However, between slides, fog, rubberneckers, people that can't do the speed limit in corners and accidents it quickly becomes a frustrating drive - not something I'd want to spend my vacation doing.

Hi Bronbeth, fellow Aussie here.

We drove from San Fran to LA over three days a couple of years ago and we loved it so much we are thinking of doing it again. Big Sur is beautiful and Carmel is so quirky.

I would recommend shaving a couple of days off San Francisco (less interesting than I had anticipated) and doing the drive properly!

If you take 280 from San Francisco to 17 (very scenic; see the San Andreas earthquake fault to your right; the land on the other side of Crystal Springs reservoir used to be in Mexico), if you have time, stop off in San Jose to see the Winchester Mystery House. Quite a sight. Google it. Mrs. Winchester's attempt to appease the spirits of those killed by Winchester rifles.

Anyway, I've lived here all my life, and I always prefer 101. Highway 1 is very long, can be tedious, though good to see the elephant seals along the way. Highway 5 is flat ranch and farmland. May have killer fog in January. Highway 101 usually has good traffic, till Santa Barbara, is scenic, and has a lot of unspoiled land. Visit Mission San Miguel in the little town of San Miguel along the way. Right by the freeway and very evocative and moving. A piece of old, old California.

Have fun!

If you take 280 from San Francisco to 17 (very scenic; see the San Andreas earthquake fault to your right; the land on the other side of Crystal Springs reservoir used to be in Mexico),.....................

Have fun!

Don't scare the tourists! ;) Earthquakes didn't move the land. Earthquakes can be strong but not THAT strong.:D

(Alta) California revolted against Mexico in 1846.

We drove from SF to LA via Calif. Hwy. 1 this past January, stopping for a couple of days in Monterey en route.

If you have the time, this is one of the most scenic drives in the US.

Some photos from those days -

One of several jellyfish tanks at the Monterey aquarium -

0118-6a.JPG

Migrating Monarch butterflies, Pacific Grove (next to Monterey) -

20130124_187b.JPG

The coastline near Big Sur on Calif. Hwy. 1 -

20130119_17a.JPG

Elephant seal breeding colony, San Simeon (a mile from the Hearst Castle turnoff) -

20130119_90a.JPG

Mission Santa Barbara (1820), the "queen" of the California missions -

20110205_8a.JPG

The butterflies and seals will be around in January - close to peak viewing times.

A drive not to be missed.

Don't scare the tourists! ;) Earthquakes didn't move the land. Earthquakes can be strong but not THAT strong.:D

SadieN - Actually, it's true. The land mass on the coast side of the San Andreas fault is grinding north relative to the North American continental plate land mass. That coastal land matches exactly land in Mexico. It broke off and it creeps north. But nothing anybody is going to notice! Don't worry about the earthquakes, have a great time. This is all happening in geologic time, not people time. Enjoy your drive, whichever route you take.

SadieN - Actually, it's true. The land mass on the coast side of the San Andreas fault is grinding north relative to the North American continental plate land mass. That coastal land matches exactly land in Mexico. It broke off and it creeps north. But nothing anybody is going to notice! Don't worry about the earthquakes, have a great time. This is all happening in geologic time, not people time. Enjoy your drive, whichever route you take.

Geologically speaking, I concede.:) All land was connected if we go back far enough.

Just wanted to clarify that it creeped and didn't get there in one swift motion!

But if there is an earthquake, what a travel story! The 101 hasn't had major problems in earthquakes. The 5 in LA (Sylmar) has always collapsed.

Geologically speaking, I concede.:) All land was connected if we go back far enough.

Just wanted to clarify that it creeped and didn't get there in one swift motion!

But if there is an earthquake, what a travel story! The 101 hasn't had major problems in earthquakes. The 5 in LA (Sylmar) has always collapsed.

But no place in California is immune from them. Most of US 101 is west of the San Andreas, and so is on the Pacific plate, not the North American plate.:D

Oh well, on 5 you cross the San Andreas near Gorman...

But then, when the Big Bear quake hit in 1992 (just a few hours after the Landers one), I was watching my entertainment center move a few inches. Not kidding about that. And I lived some 100 miles away at that time.

And during the 1994 Northridge quake (was just 10 miles away for that one), my TV actually unplugged itself.

Most likely you won't feel any quakes during a short stay in California, though.

Archived