Visiting the Colosseum

moshek

Looking for some advice please

We are going to Rome and have decided to make our first stop the Colosseum. I have looked at pre-booking tickets to shorten our wait time but it seems I can only pre-book adult tickets then have to go to group booking booth for reduced tickets for teenagers. Does anyone have experience of this, how long is this queue?

How are you travelling to Rome?

If by train, get off at Ostiense (between San Pietro & Termini), & take the metro (metro station is called Piramide but it's part of the Ostiense complex & very well-signed). http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rome.info/metro/rome_metro.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.rome.info/metro/&h=545&w=680&sz=24&tbnid=MYKBnWyNfDmhqM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=107&prev=/search%3Fq%3Drome%2Bmetro%2Bmap%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=rome+metro+map&usg=__jOsVoxsPuiJ4zQt5bYf9GGa4XWg=&docid=MPNYqQ4j-R2eZM&sa=X&ei=A4TaUY7_HMH30gWn_4HQAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFAQ9QEwAQ&dur=1424

Your BIRG day-return train ticket from Civi (costs 12 euros) allows you free use of the metro & regular buses all day.

Take the metro in the direction of Rebibbia. The second stop is Colosseo, but get off at the first stop, Circo Massimo.

From here, walk down the hill toward the Arch of Constantine/Colosseum. On your left is Palatine Hill. Get your tickets at the entrance to Palatine Hill, where queues are generally short. All tickets, regardless of where you get them, cover three sites - Colosseum, Palatine Hill & Forum.

Then carry on down the hill to the Colosseum. Here the queues for tickets can be very long indeed but you can bypass the ticket lines & go straight to the entrance.

Total distance Circo Massimo metro station to Colosseum is 750 yards, 10 mins walk.

Tickets are free for EU citizens under 18 & over 65, and concessionary rates for under 25s & some teachers etc. Take your passport or other proof.

http://www.060608.it/en/cultura-e-svago/beni-culturali/beni-archeologici/colosseo-anfiteatro-flavio.html

JB :)

We are going to Rome and have decided to make our first stop the Colosseum. I have looked at pre-booking tickets to shorten our wait time but it seems I can only pre-book adult tickets then have to go to group booking booth for reduced tickets for teenagers. Does anyone have experience of this, how long is this queue?

It looks like you're going in 2 weeks? You're better off paying the fee, IMO. The lines there were insanely long when I was there. Depending on how many kids you have, I would consider the extra payment as a way to forgo waiting in line. Someone else might be more specific. I went in early June before schools got out.

We pre-booked the adult tickets, skipped the huge line... once inside, you can go directly to the "special" window where the line was much shorter for the kid's tickets.

But the other suggestion to buy them at one of the other sites is a good one too.

We pre-booked the adult tickets, skipped the huge line... once inside, you can go directly to the "special" window where the line was much shorter for the kid's tickets.

Thanks that is what I had read and just wanted to check it was the case that I could avoid the main queue.

We are using RCI organised transport of shuttle and private train from port to Rome, it goes to to station closest to Vatican and I think we may get taxi to Colosseum then walk back towards St. Peters via Trevi Fountain. We are not planning to go to Vatican museum so guess we have a couple of hours to do Colosseum and forum area.

We are first time cruisers and are really looking forward to our adventure on Adventure. Have never visited any of the ports/cities ( well apart from flying into Malaga on visit to Costa del Sol.

Michelle

We are using RCI organised transport of shuttle and private train from port to Rome, it goes to to station closest to Vatican and I think we may get taxi to Colosseum

Don't be discouraged if there are no taxis at the San Pietro station, there often are not.

If you can't find one there you have three options. You could call a taxi (there will be a phone number posted in the station), you could take the bus (the #64 bus starts/ends at Roma San Pietro station), or you could walk to another taxi stand.

If you decide on the bus you'll need to get tickets. They probably sell them in the station but I don't know that for sure as I've never tried to do it and haven't paid a lot of attention to what's in the station. The downside of the bus option is that it's slow; there are 10 stops before the Ara Coeli/Piazza Venezia stop, which is the closest to the Colosseum. Plus, you're still a half mile from the Colosseum. Not the best option if you're in a hurry.

The taxi stand closest to Stazione Roma San Pietro that I know of is on Via delle Fornaci, right where Via Alessandro III dead-ends into it, 3/10ths of a mile from the station. The next one after that that I'm aware of is Piazza San Pietro.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I have now purchased 2 adult tickets online and printed them at home, these allow us to go straight to entrance then I can get boy's tickets inside at group booking desk.

There is a 1.50 euro service charge on top of 12 euro ticket, under 18s are free.

11 more sleeps.

You do know that the other tickets are for EU citizens only.

Your children unless they are EU citizens must buy adult tickets.

http://www.ticketclic.it/Gb/HTML/musei/colosseo.cfm

You do know that the other tickets are for EU citizens only.

Your children unless they are EU citizens must buy adult tickets.

http://www.ticketclic.it/Gb/HTML/musei/colosseo.cfm

Thank you we are indeed from the UK therefore my boys are EU citizens and get free entry, yeah at last an advantage of belonging to the EU.( Note for non Europeans many British people would like our country to leave the EU). That will just be more cash to spend on ice cream lol

Not long now, suitcases coming out in next few days.

Michelle

Archived