Avoiding a shocking revelation!

teeoc79

While ship's have 110 and 220v outlets, I heard that the amperage on ships is less than in the home which makes things like hair dryers run slower. Is this correct?

Never had a problem here - voltage is regulated amperage is not.

To clarify, each cabin has two 110V outlets. The 230V outlet is in the bathroom and is rated for shavers only.]

We plug our night light into the shaver socket in the bathroom with no problem. It is a 5W 120V item.

We plug our night light into the shaver socket in the bathroom with no problem. It is a 5W 120V item.

We carried a night light for the first time last week and did the same. It provided just enough light for navigation at night without being too bright.

Mike:)

In our balcony cabin on Ruby, the left hand side bedside lamp plugged into a European socket (thank goodness). We had a 4 way extension with us which was plugged into a European adaptor and into the under bed socket. Anything charging was under my husband's side of the bed and I could dry my hair looking in the mirror over the bed. There were 2 US sockets at the desk area which were ok for charging but not for my 240v hair items. Uk passengers will need both a European adaptor and a US one, both of which can be picked up at Poundland or similar.

Loved the Ruby.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk.

In our balcony cabin on Ruby, the left hand side bedside lamp plugged into a European socket (thank goodness). We had a 4 way extension with us which was plugged into a European adaptor and into the under bed socket. Anything charging was under my husband's side of the bed and I could dry my hair looking in the mirror over the bed. There were 2 US sockets at the desk area which were ok for charging but not for my 240v hair items. Uk passengers will need both a European adaptor and a US one, both of which can be picked up at Poundland or similar.

Loved the Ruby.

Some posters have said that there is an outlet under the bed - I have looked for it on the Ruby and Emerald and have never found it.
As jaceyar stated, the plug for the light on the nightstand closest to the bathroom will have an accessible socket but you will need a power strip to still use the light.

Euro+Outlet.JPG

There also also a 110 volt duplex outlet behind the tv - this is where we plug in our nitelite - everyone else seems to want to put the nitelite in the bathroom which does not make any sense - for us the purpose of the nightlight is to be able to find the bathroom door - if you put the nightlight in the bathroom the only way you can find the bathroom door is if you are already in the bathroom - I guess I am just weird??

There also also a 110 volt duplex outlet behind the tv - this is where we plug in our nitelite - everyone else seems to want to put the nitelite in the bathroom which does not make any sense - for us the purpose of the nightlight is to be able to find the bathroom door - if you put the nightlight in the bathroom the only way you can find the bathroom door is if you are already in the bathroom - I guess I am just weird??

For me the main purpose having it in the bathroom is to provide enough light in there to avoid needing to turn on the main light for the bathroom when using it at night.

For me the main purpose having it in the bathroom is to provide enough light in there to avoid needing to turn on the main light for the bathroom when using it at night.

Likewise. We keep the bathroom door open so there is no problem finding the way in or out.

Mike:)

Close the door?

We keep the bathroom door closed in case the ship's movement causes it to bang to and fro. We always take a small, battery operated votive candle that gives off a feint, flickering glow, and place that on the lower shelf of the bathroom, right next to the trash recepticle. In that lower position, it eeks out just enough light under the door so that if you get up in the middle of the night, you can clearly see the door in the darkness, and be reminded to STEP UP, lest you crush your toes on the threshold. Learned that the hard way.

just enough light under the door so that if you get up in the middle of the night, you can clearly see the door in the darkness, and be reminded to STEP UP, lest you crush your toes on the threshold. Learned that the hard way.

Boy Have I learned that lesson also. :) Never needed a nite light on DCL ships, the light coming in from the passageway outside under the cabin door provides just enough light to see where the head is located

As jaceyar stated, the plug for the light on the nightstand closest to the bathroom will have an accessible socket but you will need a power strip to still use the light.

Euro+Outlet.JPG

Thanks for the image, can't tell what kind of outlet this is, we have an Italian adaptor with the three round pegs (one is the ground) will that fit in this outlet under the bed?

We keep the bathroom door closed in case the ship's movement causes it to bang to and fro. We always take a small, battery operated votive candle that gives off a feint, flickering glow, and place that on the lower shelf of the bathroom, right next to the trash recepticle. In that lower position, it eeks out just enough light under the door so that if you get up in the middle of the night, you can clearly see the door in the darkness, and be reminded to STEP UP, lest you crush your toes on the threshold. Learned that the hard way.

I really like the idea of the votive candle, use em at home, never thought about taking one on the ship.

Thanks for the image, can't tell what kind of outlet this is, we have an Italian adaptor with the three round pegs (one is the ground) will that fit in this outlet under the bed?

It had 2 holes for a standard european plug.

uploadfromtaptalk1378226707545.jpg.492c4f9af652c47575486523b8e93edc.jpg

This is one of my adaptors.

Anyone who would now think to bring a night-light to be plugged into the razor outlet in the cabin's bathroom should understand that the two prongs of the night-light should be the same size. Lights with one larger prong (ground fault) will not fit into the socket.

This is a subject that I never had to worry about since we've never sailed beyond the Caribbean, Hawaii, or Canada.

However, we are taking a cruise out of Sydney in 2015 on the Diamond. We've sailed her sister, Sapphire, and know the outlets currently used. But will those be changed when they are relocated to Asia?

What kind of adapter will we need for a digital camera, phone, etc.?

Thanks!

[ATTACH]285233[/ATTACH]

This is one of my adaptors.

Thanks!, will need to buy another adaptor, the travel store guy sold us the three prong because so many people want the ground plug to protect their electronic devices.

Archived