Things to do in Progreso

Go to Autoprogreso's website and check out their tours. We use them every time we go. Cheaper than Carnival and we've never had a bad time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I827 using Forums mobile app

We went to Uxmal and it was fabulous.

We used Carnival's tour, which we don't normally do. The price was almost the same as autoprogresso, and we got to the site earlier and left at about the same time (so we had more time there). The guides were fabulous, the bus was very clean, Uxmal was incredible to see. I didn't meet anyone who took the autoprogresso tour, so I can't compare directly.

Here is my review of the day, includes pictures from the site: http://skittl1321.blogspot.com/2012/05/carnival-triumph-cruise-day-3-april-16.html

Progreso is one of the best ports for Mayan ruins. There are several sites within driving distance.

Beaches, they aren't great, as it's the Gulf and not the Caribbean. But if Mayan ruins interest you at all, that's the thing to do in Progreso.

We visited Uxmal and Chitchen Itza on two different cruises with Carnival. Both are well worth it.

You might enjoy looking at pictures my wife took and posted on her website at the links below.

Happy Cruising!

We went to Uxmal to see the ruins. It was the best Mayan citiy I have visited yet. not only do you get to see them they have one large temple that they let you climb to the top. It was a great tour good guide and clean air conditioned buses . I will go back it was well worth it. They even have a game court( Mayan not Video)

We were just there last week; booked the excursion through Carnival. It is about an hour and a half bus ride one-way; we were back at the pier around 2:30-2:45 and had to be on the ship by 3:30. For that reason, I would be cautious about booking NOT through the cruiseline, just because it's a long trip.

But it is very worth it. Amazing pics. TAKE MOSQUITO REPELLANT! I sprayed some and they were still biting, even through our clothes. And take a hat and at least one bottle of water per person; it was very hot and humid there last week. They do have a small shopping area with a restaurant or two, and some really nice and clean restrooms.

Progresso is one of my favorite ports and we don't do shore excursions there. We take the shuttle down the pier...yes the pier is longggggg. There is a craft market when you first get off of the shuttle. Then we walk into town. There are vendors on the streets. Lots of bars and Corona's are only $1 or $2 each and a shot of tequila was included if you wanted it. We liked sitting at one of the bars on the second floor that over looked the ocean.

The beach was clean, there was some sea weed on the beach but there was someone cleaning it off of the beach.

We also take the double decker bus around town. A do not miss. It is $3 pp I believe now.

Was in Progreso in Nov. 2012 for the first time. Heard so many bad things about it, but we had a nice relaxing time. Went down on the street by the beach, found a bar with an open front, got a table right there and drank margaritas in the ocean breeze. The manager arranged for 3 of us to get 40 minute massages for $15 right next door - good massage, too! Shopped a little on the way back to the ship. Friendly people, nothing fancy. Planning on going back in February. Ship really wasn't in port long enough to go to Mayan ruins.

We have used autoprogresso twice and had great experiences each time. We went to Uxmal and the cost was about 1/2 of Carnivals cost.

Any questions feel free to ask.

When did you go? It was $10 difference pp when we went, which is why we went with Carnival (which we very rarely do)

ETA: I see Carnival is now charging $79.99 and Autoprogresso $49, so I'd probably go with AP now.

We went to Uxmal and it was fabulous.

We used Carnival's tour, which we don't normally do. The price was almost the same as autoprogresso, and we got to the site earlier and left at about the same time (so we had more time there). The guides were fabulous, the bus was very clean, Uxmal was incredible to see. I didn't meet anyone who took the autoprogresso tour, so I can't compare directly.

Here is my review of the day, includes pictures from the site: http://skittl1321.blogspot.com/2012/05/carnival-triumph-cruise-day-3-april-16.html

I'm surprised the prices were close. Usually Autoprogresso is ALOT cheaper. I don't know about if you prebook but if you just carry some cash you will get the tours uber cheap right there at the port. And really the same exact guys drive the buses there. The men who drive the bus down the long port and the guys who drive to the tours are one and the same so the ship wont be leaving without you since they need those guys to transport all of the passengers from the port down the long dock to the ship.

We've been there three times and will be there again next week. Uxmal is well worth the price of the excursion and I preferred it to Chichen Itza. Almost park like, and it is so quiet that you can feel the atmosphere of a truly old place. Either place I would only do it through Carnival, the buses are frequently late back and the ship always waits.

The Autoprogresso tours are very good, last time we went to one of the small sites, one of the stops was at the 1,000 year old salt pans where they wpo;d evaporate the water off and gather the salt. Still working, you can see drifts of salt crystals around the edges of the pans. Next week we will be going to Merida on Autoprogresso to look at the main square and the cathedral, what I've heard is that it's well worth the visit. Only $10 a person for the ride there and back.

And of course there is nothing wrong with an ice cold local beer on the beach, the water is not the same color as Cozumel but it's still a great way to spend an hour.

Has anyone done the Autoprogreso open bar , beach deal at Technotel for $35 PP ? Looks like you pay up front with Autoprogreso. Any problems with that ?

We did it a few weeks ago! We had a great time...gorgeous beach!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I827 using Forums mobile app

Progresso is one of my favorite ports and we don't do shore excursions there. We take the shuttle down the pier...yes the pier is longggggg. There is a craft market when you first get off of the shuttle. Then we walk into town. There are vendors on the streets. Lots of bars and Corona's are only $1 or $2 each and a shot of tequila was included if you wanted it. We liked sitting at one of the bars on the second floor that over looked the ocean.

The beach was clean, there was some sea weed on the beach but there was someone cleaning it off of the beach.

We also take the double decker bus around town. A do not miss. It is $3 pp I believe now.

This. Different stroke for different folks but it was one of our favorite ports as well. I wish it was a stop on 7 day itins.

I'd take Progresso over Cozumel any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty to do and see:

Visit some ruins, Uxmal, Chichen Itza, or Dzibilchaltun,

Swim in an underground cenote,

Go into Merida, have lunch and spend the day wandering around the city center,

Ride the double decker bus in Progreso,

Get a cheap massage on the beach,

Walk the Malecon,

Have a couple beers or other drinks on the beach,

Shop,

Head to an all-inclusive beach,

Combine a few of the above,

Or just wander Progreso and find an out of the way restaurant and try it out.

There is plenty to do!

Archived