Gain Weight With Exercise?

TNIris

Hi all! :)

I am low-carbing (30-50g per day) and no more than 1200 calories per day. The first few weeks, I lost great! Then, I added in walking and not only did I not lose, but I gained two pounds! :eek:

When I mentioned this to the doctor, he said it is because of the walking. :confused:

Don't want to give up walking, because I want to have endurance, especially with the upcoming cruise, but wanted your thoughts on this.

I skipped walking for five days, and lost 5 pounds!

I'm back to walking, but a little freaked out!

My doctor said it is because you are working/building muscles, and they are swollen and retain fluid.

Geeeez....you try to do the right thing! LOL :mad:

Much has been written about how women cannot bulk up weight training, but I definitely do. I put on muscle and weight. I have to be very careful about bulking up and must do very light weights.

But one thing I'm not sure I agree with on what your doctor said--you built two pounds of muscle in just a few days of walking? It is hard to build muscle that fast even for me.

Maybe you are holding water, but I can't figure out why walking would make you hold water especially if you are sweating in this heat. Did you drink a lot of water to compensate after your workouts?

I do understand your frustration. Sometimes it just seems as if no health, diet or fitness authority knows what they are talking about because what works for one person may not work for another.

One thing--muscle does weigh more than fat, so you may be losing inches and trimming down even if you do weigh slightly more. Plus, you will be building stamina. Don't give up your efforts.

Yep...walking.

When you started increasing the labor load of your muscles by engaging them in an activity above and beyond "normal," your muscles reacted by also increasing their storage of energy (glycogen) and water so that they can meet the new demand you are placing on them. This weight isn't a result of changed muscle fibers that would equate to "building muscle" but this weight IS counted in your lean body weight.

It is for this reason that measurements can often be a saving grace in the battle to "lose weight." Really...most people want to change the shape of their body (flatter tummy, etc.) and lose some fat...weight is just a relatively easy methodology for gauging progress toward these goals. But there is a lot that can fluctuate in body weight that has nothing to do with fat gain or loss.

I have been keeping tabs on my weight now for way too long to be phased by 2 pounds. I regularly see my weight fluctuate by as little as nothing to as much as 8+ pounds within 24-hours. It's ridiculous. I've learned to pay attention to the way clothes fit, my best effort at measuring myself in the same place with the same tautness of the measuring tape, the scale, and in general, the way I feel to gauge whether or not I am making headway in my health and fitness goals. Don't worry about 2 pounds. Keep walking.

As Anita said, its probably better to just keep tabs on how the clothing fits you. My scale can stay the same for a few weeks but my clothing be better fitting. I just try to remember it is not about the scale but its about I feel and look.

• 1 month later...

You are gaining weight because at 1,200 calories, your body is in starvation mode. When your body is in starvation mode, it holds on to the fat because it doesn't know when the next meal is coming. Exercise does not make you gain weight. Training with Weights does not make you bulky. Fat makes us bulky. Make sure to eat balanced meals. Include all food groups. Avoid salt and fried foods. Season your food with lemon, garlic, onions, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Eating foods that contain salt make you retain water.

You are gaining weight because at 1,200 calories, your body is in starvation mode. When your body is in starvation mode, it holds on to the fat because it doesn't know when the next meal is coming. Exercise does not make you gain weight. Training with Weights does not make you bulky. Fat makes us bulky. Make sure to eat balanced meals. Include all food groups. Avoid salt and fried foods. Season your food with lemon, garlic, onions, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Eating foods that contain salt make you retain water.

This! Is there a reason why you're restricting yourself to only 1200 calories a day?

You are gaining weight because at 1,200 calories, your body is in starvation mode.

Starvation mode varies from person to person. It isn't logical to say this is the cause. Starvation mode begins when you consume calories that amount to less than your base metabolic rate minus 500 calories. It in generally acceptable to consume up to that 500 under BMR and lose fat weight. Beyond that and the body does resist fat loss.

There are several calculators available to calculate BMR. Consuming 1200 calories is actually likely to be reasonable.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Starvation mode varies from person to person. It isn't logical to say this is the cause. Starvation mode begins when you consume calories that amount to less than your base metabolic rate minus 500 calories. It in generally acceptable to consume up to that 500 under BMR and lose fat weight. Beyond that and the body does resist fat loss.

There are several calculators available to calculate BMR. Consuming 1200 calories is actually likely to be reasonable.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Exactly! Without knowing the persons BMR, you have no way of knowing if they are in starvation mode or not. For me, as long as that's my NET after I eat back exercise calories, it is not starvation mode and I'll lose weight. In fact my current caloric goal is a net of 1100, as I'm working towards 22% body fat.

Archived