On Board Credit

Chesneygirl

Yes, both. As even the OBC that you get when buying the Future Cruise Reward will cancel out part of it's own price, all other OBCs will too.

Edited by Demonyte

We are receiving 2 separate OBC's - One from our TA and the other from NCL.

Can either of these OBC's be used to purchase a Future Cruise Credit while on our cruise?

On the last day of our cruise I had some leftover OBC and that's exactly what I did with it.

For gratuities YES - for the Daily Service Charge NO

Wrong again, only certain types of OBC can be used for the DSC, but not all OBC. Any promotional booking OBC cannot, but the OBC from the FCC can.

Edited by SilentHill

Wrong again, only certain types of OBC can be used for the DSC, but not all OBC. Any promotional booking OBC cannot, but the OBC from the FCC can.

Have you done this since they fixed the onboard billing system to actually prevent using the "forbidden" OBC to DSC some time last year or so?

Edited by Demonyte

Have you done this since they fixed the onboard billing system to actually prevent using the "forbidden" OBC to DSC some time last year or so?

They fixed the system back in August / September of 2011 and I sailed last in Oct 2011, there was a big thread about it back then.

Edited by SilentHill

Unfortunately it will be impossible for me to confirm on my upcoming sailing, as I have $150 in "Unrefundable" OBC and I plan on buying a FCC which will in essence make itself 0.

I have my receipt from the Gem, but unfortunately I bought some other stuff on the last day, but I will swear that the $100 came right off the bill from the FCC when I bought it, and all I had up to that point was OBC, DSC, and FCC.

Do they show you your account on the Breakaway? I will take a picture of the screen after I buy the FCC.

Unfortunately it will be impossible for me to confirm on my upcoming sailing, as I have $150 in "Unrefundable" OBC and I plan on buying a FCC which will in essence make itself 0.

I have my receipt from the Gem, but unfortunately I bought some other stuff on the last day, but I will swear that the $100 came right off the bill from the FCC when I bought it, and all I had up to that point was OBC, DSC, and FCC.

Do they show you your account on the Breakaway? I will take a picture of the screen after I buy the FCC.

The $100 came right off the Freestyle Cruise Reward not your DSC. You are giving out outdated information which will help no one. The only OBC that can be used for the DSC is OBC you purchase yourself or that is purchased for you.

Edited by peg013

It's a shame you keep telling people with up to date information they are wrong when you are the one distributing incorrect information. I clearly said NO to using most OBC for the DSC. The only type OBC you can use to pay the Daily Service Charge is OBC you purchase yourself or is purchased for you. When my TA purchases OBC for me, it pays my DSC. When they pass on NCL's OBC, it cannot be used for the DSC.

It really doesn't matter if the FCR OBC can be used for the DSC because it comes right off the price of the FCR. :D

They fixed the system back in August / September of 2011 and I sailed last in Oct 2011, there was a big thread about it back then.

The system was fixed Jan 1, 2012 - maybe that's why you don't understand the way it currently works.

The system was fixed Jan 1, 2012 - maybe that's why you don't understand the way it currently works.

That or, maybe it was this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1840946&highlight=obc+for+dsc

I remember the TV in the room showing that the OBC I got for the FCC came right off on the account screen, even though I had enough OBC to cover the FCC in it's entirety.

Luckily I bought some souvenirs for the folks back at home the last day.

No it is 100% correct. I've done it numerous times.

It's 100% incorrect. Your information is at least two years old. Things change pretty quickly on NCL. We have cruised eight times since your last cruise so I am confident my information is more accurate than yours.

There is a simple solution for the dilemma....if on the day prior to disembark you have unused OBC (no matter the type, or source of it) which they have not applied for DSC, simply go to guest relations and ask them to apply it. If they refuse, then advise them that you wish to reduce the DSC by an identical amount....they will then find a way to apply it, trust me!!

We are receiving 2 separate OBC's - One from our TA and the other from NCL.

Can either of these OBC's be used to purchase a Future Cruise Credit while on our cruise?

Onboard credit just takes the amount off the first purchase(s) on board. We had 100 dollars obc on our cruise. It shows up on the interactive tv as well.

I was thinking that you could cash out and use for tipping the butler and such.

Can't say about the OBC but in general there is a fee of 3% for taking cash from onboard account. For tipping you can request vouchers written directly to a specific crew member from guest services, no extra fee.

I would love to know the answer to this myself. I was thinking that you could cash out and use for tipping the butler and such.

No need to cash out to use for tipping the butler, concierge, kids club, room steward or anyone else you care to tip. All you have to do is go to Guest Services and tell them the full name of the person you want to tip and their position and they will fill out a voucher (like any other receipt you sign) to that person and give you a copy and an envelope to give to the person you wish to tip. I bring along Thank You cards and put it inside one of them before giving to the recipient. As I said above - any OBC can be sued to tip anyone on the ship - you just can't have non-refundable OBC applied to your Daily Service Charge.

Edited by peg013