Non-tour Glacier kayaking recommendation

scubamom4

We're hoping to be able to just rent kayaks and do our own kayaking near a glacier. Is this possible, and if so, does anyone know which place to plan for this? Or any recommendations? (we're going to Icy Strait, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan) We'll be on a B2B from July 22-Aug. 5 if that helps.

Thank you in advance!

Thanks BudgetQueen, probably just what we're looking for. Do you know if Mendenhall Lake has some of the ice floes/iceburgs in it that we would kayak around while seeing the glacier? (we'll be there near end of July) Hope it's not too silly of a question-I've just no idea if the ice stays year round on the lake, as I've seen many pictures that look amazing!:rolleyes:

We just did this kayaking excursion in Juneau last week in Mendenhall Lake by Above and Beyond. I would recommend the trip. There were definitely icebergs in the lake which you can kayak around, plus you will get significantly closer to the glacier itself than the vantage points at either the visitor center or the hike to the falls. The only downside we had with the kayaking was the weather, as it poured rain while we were out on the lake, but still really enjoyed the trip. Above and Beyond was very professional and provided everything we needed.

We also did this last week off the Celebrity Millennium. We were lucky enough to have great weather and it was awesome!

Something to note...if you have a choice of morning or afternoon, take the morning. When we signed up, both were available and we chose morning simply so we would have the afternoon free to schedule other things. However, when we were there, the person setting us up said that the water gets rougher in the afternoons and they often have to cancel the afternoon groups because of safety issues. She said that they had cancelled multiple (forget the exact number) afternoon groups in the week prior to our trip.

Sounds great, thank you! About how far/how long to paddle to the glacier itself from the put-in point? We have a bit of a tight schedule, but think we can make it. Luckily, we only have the morning available so we'll hope for better weather & lake conditions. Just wanted to get other's opinion on paddle timing.

Sounds great, thank you! About how far/how long to paddle to the glacier itself from the put-in point? We have a bit of a tight schedule, but think we can make it. Luckily, we only have the morning available so we'll hope for better weather & lake conditions. Just wanted to get other's opinion on paddle timing.

You need to allow at least 1 1/2 hours and that is a tight timeframe. How are you getting there? You can NOT use the Mendenahall shuttle bus, without also using a cab, adding more time.

The round trip paddle to/from the glacier is about 5 miles believe it or not, and we spent ~2hrs on the water, although we could have spent more time if the weather wasn't so poor. You definitely will get an upper body workout with the paddling, and I wouldn't have believed the distance but we had our gps tracking us which came up with the 5 miles. If you call Above & Beyond and tell them your time frame you have available, they should be able to let you if you're too tight for time, as you need to factor in the transport time from Juneau to their little shop to get your equipment, then drive to the lake and get instruction, then everything in reverse getting back to town. Assuming you have the time, this is a great excursion for people looking to really get out in nature and get a little exercise.

The round trip paddle to/from the glacier is about 5 miles believe it or not, and we spent ~2hrs on the water, although we could have spent more time if the weather wasn't so poor. You definitely will get an upper body workout with the paddling, and I wouldn't have believed the distance but we had our gps tracking us which came up with the 5 miles. If you call Above & Beyond and tell them your time frame you have available, they should be able to let you if you're too tight for time, as you need to factor in the transport time from Juneau to their little shop to get your equipment, then drive to the lake and get instruction, then everything in reverse getting back to town. Assuming you have the time, this is a great excursion for people looking to really get out in nature and get a little exercise.

Overall, round trip from the dock, I would look at at least 4 hours.

A car rental is what I use, and makes better use of time, as, I'm then able to get direct to my whale watching, and stop at Mendenhall glacier visitor center side.

We are docked from 7-1. Called Above & Beyond (very helpful and friendly on the phone) and they thought it would work. Does anyone know if there are other vendors that rent kayaks at Mendenall Lake, that are set up at the cruise docks where you can sign up the morning you arrive? We would rather wait until that morning to see what the weather is doing before we commit.

Thanks very much for all the help!

MacDaddy-glad you had fun, but also wished you had better weather. :(

bloomcruisers-how lucky for you to have such a great day! Sounds fun!

We are docked from 7-1. Called Above & Beyond (very helpful and friendly on the phone) and they thought it would work. Does anyone know if there are other vendors that rent kayaks at Mendenall Lake, that are set up at the cruise docks where you can sign up the morning you arrive? We would rather wait until that morning to see what the weather is doing before we commit.

Thanks very much for all the help!

MacDaddy-glad you had fun, but also wished you had better weather. :(

bloomcruisers-how lucky for you to have such a great day! Sounds fun!

Nope, only one that I know of.

How are you getting there?

Archived