Has the Maurice Williams Band left Cunard?

Slow Foxtrot

Having danced on the QM2 to dance-bands of very differing abilities (some appalling) it was a pleasure last December to dance to the Maurice Williams Band. For ballroom-dancers, in particular, their dance tempos were perfect.

However, it appears that this band is no longer on the QM2. Does anyone know if the band has left Cunard completely or are they playing on another Carnival vessel?

Having danced on the QM2 to dance-bands of very differing abilities (some appalling) it was a pleasure last December to dance to the Maurice Williams Band. For ballroom-dancers, in particular, their dance tempos were perfect.

However, it appears that this band is no longer on the QM2. Does anyone know if the band has left Cunard completely or are they playing on another Carnival vessel?

I may be completely wrong but is this not the "fill in band" which "spells off " the more resident band on each Cunard vessel in turn? If it is the band I am thinking of, they also have a resident singer called Paul (not Paul Ritchie) .

Perhaps they are currently working on a different Cunard vessel?

To Dancer Bob on off chance he will see this thread: Thanks for your patience and endurance during my travel travails on Monday 01 July, and for your pick up and delivery service provided me during my brief stay in Toronto.

Hope to see you and your pals on another cruise in future.

tangoll

Posted on the LGA flight thread before I saw this, will pass on your thanks to Maria. I wish we could have taken you to some of the local dance places for a comparison.

I believe lwh is correct about Maurice being the fill-in band. Although overall I found Trevor Newbie's tempos more correct, Maurice didn't have the same fixation on Quickstep, so I did prefer Maurice's music.

Maurice Williams and his band and singer Paul Christopher were on the QM 2 crossing Soton to NY, 24 June - 01 July 2013.

Word has it that the Maurice Williams Band may be moving to another Cunard vessel next month, probably Queen Victoria, and then the band may leave Cunard altogether shortly afterwards.

If true this would be a regrettable situation for all serious dancers who enjoy ballroom dancing to the correct tempos.

One only hopes that their successors on QM2 take a leaf out of Maurice Williams' book, so to speak.

Foxy

Word has it that the Maurice Williams Band may be moving to another Cunard vessel next month, probably Queen Victoria, and then the band may leave Cunard altogether shortly afterwards.

If true this would be a regrettable situation for all serious dancers who enjoy ballroom dancing to the correct tempos.

One only hopes that their successors on QM2 take a leaf out of Maurice Williams' book, so to speak.

Foxy

We'll be on QV on 3 August and should find out if Maurice and the band are aboard then as we go dancing every night We usually catch up with the singer with the band for an update. We've got to know both Paul C and Paul R over several cruises so we might hear what's happening with whichever band is working.

We'll be on QV on 3 August and should find out if Maurice and the band are aboard then as we go dancing every night We usually catch up with the singer with the band for an update. We've got to know both Paul C and Paul R over several cruises so we might hear what's happening with whichever band is working.

Not been on Queen Victoria yet but we'll be on Queen Mary 2 yet again in a couple of months so, between us, we should be well informed as to what's going on dance-wise.

Foxy

Not been on Queen Victoria yet but we'll be on Queen Mary 2 yet again in a couple of months so, between us, we should be well informed as to what's going on dance-wise.

Foxy

Hi Foxy,

When we were on QE in April it was Maurice with Paul C ...but never thought to ask Paul C how long their stint on QE was going to be or how it was determined how long they do/where they go next. I could see individual contracts for each individual musician perhaps working, but Maurice surely will have a say in his band composition and once OK'd , will the band stay as a (more or less) permanent group and move as one?

Any thoughts?

Hi Foxy,

I could see individual contracts for each individual musician perhaps working, but Maurice surely will have a say in his band composition and once OK'd , will the band stay as a (more or less) permanent group and move as one?

Any thoughts?

I would have thought that as far as possible his band members stay together although I know that musicians are often replaced/changed in the ship's orchestra. I hope that the Maurice Williams Band does not leave Cunard - we shall have to wait and see.

Incidentally, are you a ballroom dancer or mainly a sequence dancer? We had some of both last time I was on QM2 but the cruise had mainly British passengers. Things may well be different on the American sectors. We are mainly ballroom dancers but enjoy sequence as well.

Foxy

I would have thought that as far as possible his band members stay together although I know that musicians are often replaced/changed in the ship's orchestra. I hope that the Maurice Williams Band does not leave Cunard - we shall have to wait and see.

Incidentally, are you a ballroom dancer or mainly a sequence dancer? We had some of both last time I was on QM2 but the cruise had mainly British passengers. Things may well be different on the American sectors. We are mainly ballroom dancers but enjoy sequence as well.

Foxy

We're simply ballroom, never had the opportunity to experience sequence here in Scotland..so don't know the dances.

I think depending on the ballroom host you can get some sequence programmed in to suit blank times eg . between finishing early dinner and start of the show at approx 8.30 .... we've seen fairly big groups dancing then perhaps because they were on second seating or they rushed through early dinner to join in.

We actually like to stay and watch sequence on our way to the theatre but after the show we are straight back to the Queen's room to dance to whichever band is playing.

It's been our experience (on QV mainly )it all depends on who is currently responsible for organising the ballroom....because fragmented arrangements seem to apply.

I personally think they wait to see each cruise "uptake " before they decide how many times sequence is offered, although we've seen sequence dances in the break when the orchestra goes off.If you wish to do ballroom you also get a chance to dance to recordings in the break and many dancers use that .....some to practice something and some to just enjoy the change of music and dance.

We just like to dance but we're not experts!

We're simply ballroom, never had the opportunity to experience sequence here in Scotland..so don't know the dances.

I think depending on the ballroom host you can get some sequence programmed in to suit blank times eg . between finishing early dinner and start of the show at approx 8.30 .... we've seen fairly big groups dancing then perhaps because they were on second seating or they rushed through early dinner to join in.

We actually like to stay and watch sequence on our way to the theatre but after the show we are straight back to the Queen's room to dance to whichever band is playing.

It's been our experience (on QV mainly )it all depends on who is currently responsible for organising the ballroom....because fragmented arrangements seem to apply.

I personally think they wait to see each cruise "uptake " before they decide how many times sequence is offered, although we've seen sequence dances in the break when the orchestra goes off.If you wish to do ballroom you also get a chance to dance to recordings in the break and many dancers use that .....some to practice something and some to just enjoy the change of music and dance.

We just like to dance but we're not experts!

Yes, that seems to sum it up as regards Cunard vessels with mostly British passengers. Not sure what the dance format will be when sailing between American and Canadian ports. Hopefully not 80 per cent Swing as someone once intimated!

Our other favourite ships, Aurora and Oriana usually have a mixture of ballroom, Latin and some sequence which seems to keep all the dancers happy. But then of course they are predominantly British.

Now that QM2 is sometimes calling at Hamburg to pick up very large contingents of German passengers it would be interesting to know what effect (if any) that has on the choice of dances and dance music!! Anyone know?

Foxy

Yes, that seems to sum it up as regards Cunard vessels with mostly British passengers. Not sure what the dance format will be when sailing between American and Canadian ports. Hopefully not 80 per cent Swing as someone once intimated!

Our other favourite ships, Aurora and Oriana usually have a mixture of ballroom, Latin and some sequence which seems to keep all the dancers happy. But then of course they are predominantly British.

Now that QM2 is sometimes calling at Hamburg to pick up very large contingents of German passengers it would be interesting to know what effect (if any) that has on the choice of dances and dance music!! Anyone know?

Foxy

I assume you already are aware of the charter cruise which is going to offer quite different music (heavy metal) that UK guests may be buying without being aware of thiis new development. I Emailed Peter Shanks and got an immediate reply since I was concerned we may have inadvertently booked this type cruise without being aware of the change from the usual format.He assured me the cruise I purchased would be a regular Cunard type cruise! Perhaps a sign of things to come on a trial basis..but it would not appeal to us at any price.

We've never been on P and O but I have read on CC they do have dancing and it seems to be very satisfactory.

We stopped booking Celebrity when the S class ships took over in the main..

Dancing at the foot of.a staircase with other guests trying to go up and down through the dancers didn't appeal and the other option seemed to be more disco..

Cunard at least offers a proper dance floor with a varied choice of music.

I assume you already are aware of the charter cruise which is going to offer quite different music (heavy metal) that UK guests may be buying without being aware of this new development....... Perhaps a sign of things to come on a trial basis..but it would not appeal to us at any price....

Heavy Metal Bands on Cunard !!! OMG. That should add to the refined and sophisticated elegance for which Cunard was (once) noted. At this rate it won't be long before the dance music is provided by Pedro and his Peruvian Nose-Flute Band.

• 2 weeks later...

Not good news for QM 2's genuine ballroom dancers. Maurice Williams and his Band appear to be moving to the Queen Victoria for a short spell and then Maurice is leaving Cunard to teach music.

The M.W. Band have been one of the best bands on the QM2 because their dance-tempos were invariably correct and they knew all about the international style of ballroom dancing.

Let's hope that his successor keeps up the good work!

Foxy

Not good news for QM 2's genuine ballroom dancers. Maurice Williams and his Band appear to be moving to the Queen Victoria for a short spell and then Maurice is leaving Cunard to teach music.

The M.W. Band have been one of the best bands on the QM2 because their dance-tempos were invariably correct and they knew all about the international style of ballroom dancing.

Let's hope that his successor keeps up the good work!

Foxy

As you already know they are leaving Cunard....I'll try to chat up Paul Christopher next week on QV about what happens to him and the band members as it could mean they will perhaps join the replacement band ?

It 's a pity to lose something that is an asset to Cunard .

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Foxy..spoke to Maurice while on the ship and asked what will happen to the band..(he confirmed he was leaving but hoped to come back again later) ...he said the band would continue but with a new bandleader.

Let's hope the new band leader knows all about international dance tempos.

The Americans love their swing and the Brits love their waltzes and slow foxtrots at around 29 b.p.m. With a bit of give and take he can keep everyone happy.

We'll soon find out.

Foxy

Foxy

I have just come off the QM2 this week (transatlantic) The dance instructors were a German couple 'Llona & Wilfred' and in my opinion they were the best dance classes that I've ever attended onboard Cunard ( and I travel almost 3/4 times a year. )

Incidentally some very good Ball Room dancers come from Germany ;)

Throughout the voyage last week there were several German couples who like the rest of us enjoyed the dance floor each evening.

It had no effect on the choice of music or dance, as the Queens Room orchestra under the direction of Andrew Hillier ( and vocalist Michel Chartier) were excellent as usual.

Bell Boy:)

I have just come off the QM2 this week (transatlantic) The dance instructors were a German couple 'Llona & Wilfred' and in my opinion they were the best dance classes that I've ever attended onboard Cunard ( and I travel almost 3/4 times a year. )

Incidentally some very good Ball Room dancers come from Germany ;)

Throughout the voyage last week there were several German couples who like the rest of us enjoyed the dance floor each evening.

It had no effect on the choice of music or dance, as the Queens Room orchestra under the direction of Andrew Hillier ( and vocalist Michel Chartier) were excellent as usual.

Bell Boy:)

That's encouraging news. There are certainly some top class German ballroom-dancers on the competition circuit. And excellent German dance instructors too?

Things are looking up!

Foxy

Let's hope the new band leader knows all about international dance tempos.

The Americans love their swing and the Brits love their waltzes and slow foxtrots at around 29 b.p.m. With a bit of give and take he can keep everyone happy.

We'll soon find out.

Foxy

It's going to be very interesting to adjust to those tempos, I must admit, since right now I only dance American Smooth. Our foxtrot is a tad faster than the 29 b.p.m. Granted I do a lot of practice with my teacher (ah, the joys of American pro-am competition!) at lower b.p.m. so it might not be as jarring. From a lot of what I read many of the dance hosts dance American style? That will be right up my ally! Hoping to finally learn Ballroom aboard!

Does anyone have any info on QE's orchestra?

Archived