Suites?

mom23guys

We sailed in our first suite in 2012 and although we loved the cabin I loved the corner aft wrap balcony we had on CCL this year just as much and think I'll love the aft corner on RCI we have booked for 2014 as well. We do have another suite booked on NCL for 2015 and although I'm looking forward to it as long as I can have a balcony (preferably aft) I'm a happy sailor. When we retire in a couple of years and will possibly be living closer to a cruise terminal we may explore some inside or ocean view sailings but I do have to say it would be hard to give up my balcony.

OP, I love your screen name- I'm a mom to 3 boys too :-) That's where the similarity ends though, as we love cruising in suites. Our boys are all 5 and under, and we generally cruise with extended family, so suites are the perfect way for us to have entertaining space after our kids are in bed. Otherwise, our bedtime would be 8:30 too :-/ I could see happily cruising in a balcony again when it's jut two of us...in about 18 years!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I basically live, now, for planning the next vacation(s)... I take at least one short one a year and then save up for a big one (Cruise) every two years. I turn 50 next year and don't have much to show for it in the 'traveling' end of things. I'm trying to change that :)

I basically live, now, for planning the next vacation(s)... I take at least one short one a year and then save up for a big one (Cruise) every two years. I turn 50 next year and don't have much to show for it in the 'traveling' end of things. I'm trying to change that :)

Go for it! We started traveling years ago .... my husband had to travel for work and we would usually work it so that it included the weekend. I would go with him, stay in his room and use the rental car during the week, shopping, exploring or just hanging by the pool, while he attended the meeting/training etc. and then at the end of his work part we would use the weekend for 'us'! Went a lot of great places and got the 'bug'!! We had waited till the kids were older and it was okay to leave them and had a lot of good times. After that we joined a couple of 'vacation clubs' (think it's okay to name those .... hope this doesn't get deleted) Hilton and Marriott so 'traveling' became more affordable. You have to know how to use the system ... buy in cheap and if you can travel at flexible times, use the 'exchange' and it's great! We did that for years and always hesitated on cruising because we were so independent and liked to 'do our own thing' so weren't sure we'd like it. Decided to book a short one and 'who knew' .... we loved it! Obviously, we couldn't cruise as cheaply as going to Hawaii and other places with exchanges, so cruises became a once a year or every other year thing. But again, like other places, you don't always have to pay full price and break the bank ... I always shop the sales, do last minute deals and have done a couple of gtys. We always book a JS mainly because after the first try at cruising the next 'deal' we got happened to be a JS on RCCI and we just really like the balcony and extra room. We've been to Hawaii countless time ... all the islands, even including a private rental on Molokai which was great. But, by going on 'non peak' times since we can be flexible it works for us. I always read and research everywhere we go so that we don't get hooked into a lot of the tourist traps .... love Frommer for comments, suggestions and advice. It really doesn't have to cost a fortune and we like the 'local' stuff as opposed to the 'fancy upscale' and expensive restaurants anyway. The last two cruises we did (HAL with gty JS and RCCI Oasis gty JS) were great and very reasonable .... twice in one year which we never do, but because the timing and price was right, we were able to do it. We are NOT rich by any means, but have learned how to stretch the dollar, work the system, and still have what we consider 'nice'! LOL!! We're going to Hawaii (Hilton Hawaiian Village) this Fall for our 23rd wedding anniversary .... we usually try and do Hawaii then ... late September, early October, but twice we've done a cruise for our anniversary. Couldn't get to Maui this year because with the vacation clubs it also depends on 'availability' ... but once we got 2 weeks in Maui and it was heaven! I say, start your 'research' and get busy going!! ;) Life is way too short and traveling together is wonderful for a marriage! :) Have fun!

We sailed in DOS on the Star for the first time last February thanks to my son and his family taking most of the load.

Had thought that suites for future cruises for DW and myself might be unattainable goal.

Lo and behold, I booked an SJ on the Dawn to Bermuda in October 2014. With the OBC the net wound up being only $150.00 more than a Deck 11

midship Mini Suite.

I'm of the cruise often / cruise well mindset, and I also believe in 'at this time in my life'.

With 20+ years of work to go, before retirement.... I just don't want to wait that long.

However, whether we cruise in a suite or not is a function of economics & value-tolerance.

For instance, this last cruise (2 weeks ago), CAS comped a mini-suite. In order to upgrade to a Spa Suite was going to cost an extra $3,000 or $428/day. Since we already have a comped Spa Suite coming up next January, we opted to take the taxes-only mini suite this time.

However, if I can move from another cabin type up to a Suite for under $150/day additional (for the two of us), I'll usually do it. That $75/pp for the space, the perks (theatre reserved space is nice... means you don't have to go 20 mins early to get a seat), quieter breakfasts & lunches... those things are all worth $$$ to us.

But only to a point.

In OP's case, if $2700 for 2 represented another cruise, I'd surmise that the original cruise was $1350 for 2. Or $192 / pp pd. Would I upgrade to a suite at that rate? It's borderline, so it would depend on which ship, which suite, Haven or not, and whether port-intensive or not.

Stephen

Edited by sjbdtz

Due to scarcity of wheelchair accessible suites we've pretty much written off that experience. We tired a regular baclony on our first TA and it was a nightmare because wife's wheelchair (small junior size) would not fit through the door. Fortunately she can walk some (paralyzed right side and terrible balance) so we could fold it to fit but then parking it in the cabin was a trick. So we only book accessible balconies now and must do so more than a year in advance because the book up fast. HC suite would be worse if not impossible.

But I've been thinking that since she can walk a bit with a cane and does not need all the accessibility features (though grab bars in bathroom are handy) we might be able to do a suite someday if the price difference is not a lot. Never having seen one on NCL I'm curious of the suites have wider doors or if there would always be enough room to maneuver the chair around furniture or park it. The accessible balcony cabins have about as much room as we need but suite perks might be nice - for the right price. Fortunately we are TA fans and those usually have a pretty low price per day to begin with.

Due to scarcity of wheelchair accessible suites we've pretty much written off that experience. We tired a regular baclony on our first TA and it was a nightmare because wife's wheelchair (small junior size) would not fit through the door. Fortunately she can walk some (paralyzed right side and terrible balance) so we could fold it to fit but then parking it in the cabin was a trick. So we only book accessible balconies now and must do so more than a year in advance because the book up fast. HC suite would be worse if not impossible.

But I've been thinking that since she can walk a bit with a cane and does not need all the accessibility features (though grab bars in bathroom are handy) we might be able to do a suite someday if the price difference is not a lot. Never having seen one on NCL I'm curious of the suites have wider doors or if there would always be enough room to maneuver the chair around furniture or park it. The accessible balcony cabins have about as much room as we need but suite perks might be nice - for the right price. Fortunately we are TA fans and those usually have a pretty low price per day to begin with.

I have to say an s6 on Breakaway would not be wheelchair friendly. The door is narrow and very heavy. When you first walk in, there is very little space and you have to turn enter. I did not see any other suites. Maybe someone who has stayed in one of the other suite categories, can help. :)

We love to cruise in suites. I love the bath tub and large balconies, my husband loves shorter lines and the perks. We just got off the Spirit and had a huge suite, we are now looking to book another on the Spirit for December and thinking about a balcony cabin. We just hit platinum level so that has its own perks too. I prefer the space of a suite but for more than double the cost on some ships/ sailings I'll make it work on a balcony.

I wish there was a discount for repeat suite guests!! Lol :o

Actually their is a discount for repeat guest. All you have to do is book your suite 9 months in advance and you will get $300.00 in OBS. This perk is not available for inside , Oceanviews ,balcony & mini-suite

• 2 weeks later...
At least you were kind enough to tell your husband. lol

I booked in 2011 and I have not told him or the kids. They will find out soon enough.... lol :)

LOL, we booked an S4 two bedroom suite today for June 28 on the Getaway and didn't tell my dh yet.

Will mention the cruise this week and then let him know what was booked (my mom is taking us).

Edited by js

Hi Just reading and I will give you some of my input I usually book 1 year in advance ,this is my 6th cruise ....the las t 2 were on the star and the jewel in a penthouse aft suite .....No Haven. the next 1 on the gem is in a DOS 1200 square feet in the HAven.at a price of 5000.00 per couple with now a total of 750 OBC But let me say its all about how you want to spend your Vaca .... I could fly to saint martin kill 2 days flying back and forth and spend approximatly 8000 for a couple air meals and hotel or simply leave from my home port of NYC and star enjoying. I personally love the suites ...on the older ships more room less people 2500 thats good for me :D sure I only do 1 cruise a year but thats my choice ....Vacation is what u make of it

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

We started cruising in inside cabins, went to porthole and oceanview, then to balcony and minisuites, now finally to suites. Life situations change (kids move out, income goes up as time goes on, expenses decrease) so now we can afford to book only minisuites and full suites.

We will be trying NCL for the first time in 2015. We got a much cheaper price for a suite compared with Princess (our usual cruiseline) and read how nice the perks are - hope so! I will miss free ship Internet on NCL, though; I get that on Princess because of my Platinum (and soon, Elite) status.

My mom passed and left us with the means to do one blow out vacation. It's especially needed now with my DH's recent stage 4 kidney cancer diagnosis (still praying we don't have to cancel knock wood) so no, not rich....but 7 of us travelling together gave me the justification to book the big boy....something we'll remember for all time.

My grandmother died couple years ago and left me with some money. Since I had seen a garden villa on our previous Dawn cruise, I decided to see if I could make it work for us. We ended up getting it for around $12,000 total for 6 people. The price was well worth it for the perks we received: 6 bottles of liquor, unlimited soda, bottled water, juice, drink mixers, our own private hot tub and sauna, more space than we knew what to do with;), the outdoor balcony overlooking the pool (and our own private loungers so we didn't have to get up at 7am to find one!), one specialty dinner with drinks included, in-suite dining whenever we wanted, reserved seating in the theater, never having to wait in line for the dining rooms, the bridge tour, and being treated like royalty!!! Virginia was the best concierge and Mark( our butler) always replaced whatever we used (sodas,waters, coffee, juices, etc) without having to ask. I am constantly looking now for another GV deal because it was the most awesome experience ever!! We are not rich, but know how to budget and have an aft 2 bedroom suite booked for our Hawaii cruise in November. We cruise with our daughters (now 24 and 25) and it is often cheaper to get a suite than 2 separate rooms.

• 5 months later...

Me and my husband are setting sail in 6 days in a two bedroom suite. We just love the two bedroom configuration. We love that I can stay up later and get up earlier than my husband and not bother him because this suite has a door that you can shut between the bedroom and the living/dining area. It has two bathrooms so that is a plus. I drink a lot of coffee and the suites come with a Lavazza espresso machine and I use this all through the day and night. Another major plus is that suite guest can eat in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. They cook your food to order and have the best french pressed coffee. There are more perks that we love but these are my favorite. :D

• 1 month later...

Just curious if the only differences between Penthouse suites are basically the size, the location, the balcony size, etc.? and which penthouse suite offers the best of all worlds? SE, SH SJ for example?

Edited by KitinIowa

Just curious if the only differences between Penthouse suites are basically the size, the location, the balcony size, etc.? and which penthouse suite offers the best of all worlds? SE, SH SJ for example?

Which ship? Or in general? What's best for me might not be for you?

I subscribe to cruisestaterooms.com. It is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which ship? Or in general? What's best for me might not be for you?

I subscribe to cruisestaterooms.com. It is awesome.

But it's not always accurate. For example on the Getaway and the Breakaway. M1 Aft Mini Suites. It states that it sleeps 4 and has a couch when in reality it only sleeps 2 and has a cushioned comfy chair. At first I thought the chair opened up to sleep one....however it does not.

Other websites have the info wrong as well. NCL, on the other hand claims it sleeps 2 but says it has a couch. LOL

Harriet

But it's not always accurate. For example on the Getaway and the Breakaway. M1 Aft Mini Suites. It states that it sleeps 4 and has a couch when in reality it only sleeps 2 and has a cushioned comfy chair. At first I thought the chair opened up to sleep one....however it does not.

Other websites have the info wrong as well. NCL, on the other hand claims it sleeps 2 but says it has a couch. LOL

Harriet

That's why it is great to look at all the pictures and combine with other research.