Anyone Have Information on How to Get Canadian Visitor Visa Quickly???

andreakul

We have just learned from NCL that one of the people in our group sailing first week of August needs a TRV or Temporary Resident Visa because she is a Mexican citizen and we stop in Victoria for 6 hours. All Canadian consulate websites say it takes at least 30 days to obtain this via online application or by mail. We don't have that much time! Does anyone know a way to expedite getting this visa?

Any help appreciated! (Will post this on Canada port forum too)

Thanks!

I have no idea about this, but if worst comes to worst and it cannot be obtained prior to the cruise, I wonder if it would not be an issue as long as the passenger does not get off the ship during the stop in Victoria.

You did not say if this is an Alaskan cruise. If so, I would assume she'd not require anything in Alaska, but some of the tours do cross over into Canada, so be aware of that.

For those not aware, the 30 day delay in getting a visa is mostly due to a strike of embassy workers that started back in June. My sister-in-law is also being affected by this.

Is it possible for the person in your group to actually get to a Canadian embassy? You pay more to get it done this way, but I believe you can walk out with it the same day you walk in from what my sister-in-law was telling me.

Might be worth calling and asking.

Canada will not accept your promise to not leave the ship. NCL has no control over the Canadian law. The other poster was correct that in the recent past a poster on here reported denied boarding for the exact issue.

Find your nearest Canadian embassy/consulate and work with them directly.

Thanks so much for all of your responses and Dennis for the Dallas Canadian Consulate info. I called them and they don't "do" visas there. You have to go to Los Angeles or NYC- those are the only ones that handle visas and they told me that sometimes it takes up to two weeks even for walk ins.

This is a very frustrating situation. Also, I found out that due to the Jones Act- I cannot have them get off the ship early before Victoria on a closed loop cruise and even if they don't get off the ship they won't let her board at all due to Canada laws.

I do appreciate your input! Will let you know if I find a resolution!

Archived