help with finding a restaurant in GC

jrmende63

I was in Grand Cayman in 2008. We were planning to go to a restaurant there that was near 7 mile beach but off the road a bit. A tiki bar/ eatery kind of place. I would use the search but it is not really helpful if you don't know the name of the place.

We found our itinerary has been changed by Carnival and we are now going to Grand Cayman. Can anyone help with the name of a place Like I described? thanks!

if it was Sunset and My Bar your geography is wrong ...

Sunset House is 1 mile south of town. 7 Mile beach is north of town.

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

My Bar is at the bottom (south) in this picture of the property; below the pool.

there is NO beach at Sunset House, it sits on what they call Iron Shore.

However Sunset and My Bar HAVE been there for a LONG time. I first visited in October 1985 and it was not new then! Last visit was in March. It is VERY popular with the locals, for food and drink and just as a meeting place.

100_0119_zpsd727fca8.jpg

if it was Sunset and My Bar your geography is wrong ...

Sunset House is 1 mile south of town. 7 Mile beach is north of town.

Chill Winston. :cool: Who posted anything about Sunset House being North of town? :confused: Maybe someone's reading comprehension is a bit lacking???

Here should be a working link to the My Bar promo video: http://youtu.be/W1c*ntxjnGk

Never mind the YouTube address has a filtered word in it. It is the 1st one on this list: Google Search

I am not sure. I wish I knew the name. But we did not get to go there last time and I wanted to this time. I do know it was a cpl of streets back from 7 mile. I thought it was a bar but we were there in 2008 and I read about this place on CC boards. So it might not even still be there. So in lieu of this place where would you suggest to go eat? Beachy type bar area? Is there such a place on 7 mile beach?

Chill Winston. Who posted anything about Sunset House being North of town? Maybe someone's reading comprehension is a bit lacking???

try to follow along, I'll type slowly for ya:

OP asked for help in remembering the name of a TIKI type bar near 7 Mile beach

that was near 7 mile beach but off the road a bit. A tiki bar/ eatery kind of place

it was opined that My Bar fit the bill and he said

Thank you that maybe it

Your suggestion did not mention that MB is on the other side of town. I simply offered to OP that if MB WAS the place, is was not anywhere near 7 Mile, on the other side of town actually. SO if OP is confident of the location being near 7 Mile and near SAND for that matter....

My Bar was NOT the place.

Your post did not point out the location of MB. Feel better now?

For OP ... while there is no sand, everyone I've pointed towards My Bar for lunch has had positive feedback . . . food is very good and the view is excellent . . . prices are 'in line' for Cayman

menus and pictures at: http://sunsethouse.com/bar.php (note prices are in Cayman dollars and $1 US is 80 cents CI ... or your US $20, is $16 CI)

Chill Winston. Who posted anything about Sunset House being North of town? Maybe someone's reading comprehension is a bit lacking???

try to follow along, I'll type slowly for ya:

OP asked for help in remembering the name of a TIKI type bar near 7 Mile beach

that was near 7 mile beach but off the road a bit. A tiki bar/ eatery kind of place

it was opined that My Bar fit the bill and he said

Thank you that maybe it

Your suggestion did not mention that MB is on the other side of town. I simply offered to OP that if MB WAS the place, is was not anywhere near 7 Mile, on the other side of town actually. SO if OP is confident of the location being near 7 Mile and near SAND for that matter....

My Bar was NOT the place. (Boy, are we confident!)

Your post did not point out the location of MB. Feel better now?

For OP ... while there is no sand, everyone I've pointed towards My Bar for lunch has had positive feedback . . . food is very good and the view is excellent . . . prices are 'in line' for Cayman

menus and pictures at: http://sunsethouse.com/bar.php (note prices are in Cayman dollars and $1 US is 80 cents CI ... or your US $20, is $16 CI)

I am glad you visit often and know your way around and are so certain what may or may not be the OP's once intended destination. Your ability to infer the intent of posters is also quite amazing. I somehow managed to miss the line stating there was any SAND nearby.

I simply happen to live on island and work in George Town in the tourism industry, so I am probably not as familiar with the establishments or geography around these parts as others may be.

While chatting and assisting many cruise visitors I happen to come across, it becomes quite evident that the entire section of island around George Town up to the Turtle Farm is often thought of as "Seven Mile Beach"; similar to how Miami Beach is both referred to as an actual beach and a section of town. But you surely knew that already.

As the OP never mentioned actual sand or any directions in the initial post and since they never actually made it the planned tiki bar/eatery :rolleyes:, I suggested the My Bar would be my best guess as the place.

Curacauqueen's suggestion of Macabuca is another plausible option.

So for a tiki bar themed venue, I would suggest the OP look into My Bar, Macabuca or Tiki Beach. Tiki BEach is the only one of the three to be located on an actual beach.

Here is a picture of MacaBuca if that rings a bell:

2499416626_3a1cb64865_z.jpg

Another place it could have been is Hammerheads (since closed, now Cayman Cabana Resto Bar):

GrandCaymanAtHammerheadsBar4-vi.jpg

BGYphPapuRknpHQKWZGd6hCn-tEuw6240300.jpg

Archived