Giovanni's table?

Skip the Cupcake Cupboard. Pretty much Betty Crocker cupcakes with too much frosting. $2.75 a piece. We went on the last night so it was buy one get one free, but that was even too much for a mediocre cupcake.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We had a dinner at Giovanni's on our recent trip on Radiance and were very disappointed. We were not alone, others we spoke to agreed they wouldn't go again. So it is interesting to see the rave reviews. We had some discussions about RCI's marketing policy given that that pasta in the MDR was better. And the service.

So does that mean the rest of us are making it up? Please explain. From a NYer I know Italian, and have eaten in Italy also. People differ in opinions on food. A close friend went to an "Italian " restaurant in the Midwest. He asked for baked ziti. They did not even know what that was.

I have to say sometimes I've found the same food varies from ship to ship. I had fair to abysmal food on the Explorer and less than 3 months later had good to wonderful food on the Mariner. Perhaps whoever is the head chef at any given time? Personal taste? Food is pretty subjective. But on the Mariner I heard only raves about Giovani's Table the week we were there.

This reminds me of a private tour I arranged on Roll Call while on a cruise. It was a fairly large group and I didn't know everyone on the trip. On the way to our destination a friend made a comment on how good the food has been in the MDR on this cruise and I agreed. A few minutes after this discussion the bus driver asked the person behind him how the food was on the cruise and his response was it has been the worst ever. I turned to my friend that I just had a conversation with and asked "is he on the same ship as us?"

Shak

We recently ate lunch on embarkation day at Giovanni's with a party of 5 adults and 2 children. We had a nice meal, definitely left stuffed. I was not blown away by the food but everything was good. They gave us the option of eating family style or each person ordering for themselves and we chose family style for the obvious benefits of trying more dishes. One disappointment was that we wanted to order the eggplant but they apologized and said that they had not gotten the eggplant yet on board (we had very early reservations - 12:30 p.m. on embarkation day). The restaurant was only about 1/4 full for lunch that day.

I would definitely go back to Giovanni's but don't consider it a must. I would probably do dinner next time because the menu is a bit more extensive.

So does that mean the rest of us are making it up? Please explain. From a NYer I know Italian, and have eaten in Italy also. People differ in opinions on food. A close friend went to an "Italian " restaurant in the Midwest. He asked for baked ziti. They did not even know what that was.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the food and what they like. Just because the majority that post happen to like it does not make it valid for everyone, of course.

FWIW, I thought the lasagna in the MDR one night was fantastic. In fact, I'm wondering if it was the same one in Giovanni's.

Abridalmaven,

Having grown up in Farmingdale( right next door to you ), once you leave the Northeast, Italian food just doesn't taste the same. But I try different things when I'm on vacation and ate what I would consider non traditional dishes at Giovanis and they were excellent, even by my (and I will readily admit) New York influenced tastes in Italian food. So if you decide, to try the table, you wont be disappointed. I cant say what happened on the other ship that people said it was so bad, had to be the chefs learning what to do. The table is new to the other ships.

PS living in Atlanta now and I cant even find a decent piece of Italian bread, really fresh mozzarella, and heaven help me , Italian Sausage that has any flavor :D. Going back to the Island next week. First stop after getting off the plane is a bakery, then dinner is an Italian restaurant to satisfy the craving. I think I got way off topic.;)

Abridalmaven,

Having grown up in Farmingdale( right next door to you ), once you leave the Northeast, Italian food just doesn't taste the same. But I try different things when I'm on vacation and ate what I would consider non traditional dishes at Giovanis and they were excellent, even by my (and I will readily admit) New York influenced tastes in Italian food. So if you decide, to try the table, you wont be disappointed. I cant say what happened on the other ship that people said it was so bad, had to be the chefs learning what to do. The table is new to the other ships.

PS living in Atlanta now and I cant even find a decent piece of Italian bread, really fresh mozzarella, and heaven help me , Italian Sausage that has any flavor :D. Going back to the Island next week. First stop after getting off the plane is a bakery, then dinner is an Italian restaurant to satisfy the craving. I think I got way off topic.;)

Yes we do tend to judge our foods compared to LI. I went to Giovanni's twice and loved it both times. Maybe they just had a bad week when those others ate there. But food is soo subjective. And as you said being new to those other ships may be the issue, who knows.

Went to Dodoci's in Rockville Centre two weeks ago, was a great choice.

I have to say I gained 10 lbs just reading this post!!! We ate Giovanni's while on the Oasis last year and all three couples loved it...our friends even went back another evening.

OMG, they have cannolis!!!!! I was already planning on having dinner there one night but now we are going for lunch the day we embark so I can have some. Do they let you just buy desserts? If they do, I'll buy 5 or 6 just to have in my room.

When I was little, I spent my allowance buying them since we lived outside of Boston. When my parents dragged me here to Missouri when I was 15...well finding a cannoli is just about non-existent unless you go to St Louis.

CANNOLIS :D

We tried family style but whilst I enjoyed the food and being able to sample different things I found it to be too much and an awful lot of waste. Next time I will select an entree . I was not over impressed with desserts as I do not like tiramisu, chocolate, rum or coffee flavoured. The Zuppa Inglese was nice but nothing special. Just my opinion.

You can go back later for your dessert? This is great news. We are eating there for lunch on the first day of our Allure cruise and going to Rita's Fiesta for dinner. I read the other day ago in a review that you have to pay extra for desserts at Rita's.

We will definitely go back to GT for our Tiramisu after the fiesta. Thanks for the heads up. I assume they pack it up for you To Go rather than give you a table?

FYI - Recently attended Rita's Fiesta on the first night of our Allure cruise. The Fiesta includes 3 Margaritas, Appetizers, Fajitas AND dessert. They do not charge extra for dessert.

We are going on IOS Jan 18th 2014 and was wondering what they replaced to put in Giovanni's table? I am so excited that we will finally get to dine there and have a nice lunch. Are all GT open for lunch? I assume they are only open on sea days?

Thanks,

We are going on IOS Jan 18th 2014 and was wondering what they replaced to put in Giovanni's table? I am so excited that we will finally get to dine there and have a nice lunch. Are all GT open for lunch? I assume they are only open on sea days?

Thanks,

Giovanni's replaced Portofino. To my knowledge, Giovanni's is open for lunch every day. I know it's open on Oasis and Allure on embarkation day too.

What is the dress code of the restaurant in the evening? Is a jacket required for the men? Thanks in advance for your kind responses.

Smart casual or even casual. As with the MDR, they say no shorts, beachwear, etc., although I never saw them turn anyone away wearing shorts.

Archived