NCL Jewel's cell tower during Alaska cruises

2Oregonians

We're a family of 17 people doing the inside passage in a few weeks, and I was wondering some things about using your cell phone aboard the Jewel. I know that most of the time won't be very far out at sea, and could probably pick up a cell tower on land. (maybe??)

What I'm wondering is, does the Jewel have its own tower, and would a call pick up that tower automatically?

What about when we are docked? Does the phone pick up the nearest signal? The strongest signal? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I really don't know! We have Verizon, btw, and we use smart phones.

IF our phones DO pick up the Jewel's cell tower, what are the rates? Are they a lot higher than what we would be charged at home?

We're wondering if we can call and/or text each other while out at sea and not be charged a lot extra. (Is the answer different for calling vs. texting?)

Thanks!!!

First off, I know you are trying to help others, but be careful. This stuff is often mis-understood, in a bad way.

While at sea, and if the tower is turned on, you will pay $2.49 a minute. No matter what plan you are on. Data will be expensive. Your phone will show if you are using the tower.

If you are near a port and the tower is off, you will get the local carrier and will normal U.S. Cell rates. Remember, most of the land you see in Alaska has no people, and therefore no towers.

First off, I know you are trying to help others, but be careful. This stuff is often mis-understood, in a bad way.

While at sea, and if the tower is turned on, you will pay $2.49 a minute. No matter what plan you are on. Data will be expensive. Your phone will show if you are using the tower.

If you are near a port and the tower is off, you will get the local carrier and will normal U.S. Cell rates. Remember, most of the land you see in Alaska has no people, and therefore no towers.

Ok, thanks. Very helpful. How does it show which tower you are using?

We use Verizon too. On the ship tower you will see that you're roaming or extended service if you're on the ship tower. It won't display VERIZON like it normally does. Turn off the cell service or your phone will connect for data (email, etc.) and you could get hit with significant charges. When we got into port we got normal Verizon service with bars, VERIZON, and usually 3G showing in the upper left of our iphones. At that point we knew we were on normal US verizon service. I don't remember what we got in Victoria, but I suspect out of country roaming. I seem to remember getting a txt message from the local provider with phone/data rates listed when we entered their coverage area.

We use Verizon too. On the ship tower you will see that you're roaming or extended service if you're on the ship tower. It won't display VERIZON like it normally does. Turn off the cell service or your phone will connect for data (email, etc.) and you could get hit with significant charges. When we got into port we got normal Verizon service with bars, VERIZON, and usually 3G showing in the upper left of our iphones. At that point we knew we were on normal US verizon service. I don't remember what we got in Victoria, but I suspect out of country roaming. I seem to remember getting a txt message from the local provider with phone/data rates listed when we entered their coverage area.

When you say "turn off the cell service", do you mean go in to settings and turn off wi-fi? If not, how do you turn off cell service?? Thanks.

When you say "turn off the cell service", do you mean go in to settings and turn off wi-fi? If not, how do you turn off cell service?? Thanks.

Usually that refers to "flight mode" on newer phones which by default shuts down everything that might send any radio signals. If you need to use the ships WiFi ($0.40-$0.75/min and quite slow), in most phones you can switch the WiFi on even when in flight mode.

on an iphone, you would go to settings, general, cellular and turn off celluar data. You could also just turn off voice and data roaming in that same menu area. That should keep you from getting calls or connecting to their tower for data. You could also just set "roaming" to voice only just in case you needed to receive/make a call, but it would keep you from connecting to the internet via the ship's service. To disable ALL of it, turn on airplane mode. You have lots of options there.

You don't need to turn off wifi because it won't connect/access the internet without you signing up for internet service on the ship.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this question, but how long does it usually take before your luggage is brought to your room?

Jewel to Alaska inside passage leaving out of Seattle. Thanks.

We boarded around 11:30, were able to get to our rooms before 2:00, and some of our bags were already there. I think one in our party didn't get their last bag until 4ish

It varies a lot depending on how many pax there are, where your bag was when they started bringing the luggage cages in to the ship etc. Sometimes in just a few hours, sometimes only after (early) dinner. So while it is likely, don't count on the luggage being available before dinner (the dress code is looser on first night because of this).

I have seen the term "airplane mode" used wrong so many times, I just want to .......

Anyway, to avoid data roaming, you can just turn off DATA ROAMING. Before asking how to do it, try this.

Get out your phone. Go to settings and look around. You should be able to find it right there.

You can totally turn off cellular data as well.

I have seen the term "airplane mode" used wrong so many times, I just want to .......

Anyway, to avoid data roaming, you can just turn off DATA ROAMING. Before asking how to do it, try this.

Get out your phone. Go to settings and look around. You should be able to find it right there.

You can totally turn off cellular data as well.

Thank you for your informative-with-a-sarcastic-tone response. :)

Archived