NE/Canada cruise RT NYC - yay or nay?

pompeii

We're think about a New England/Canada cruise out of NYC in October because the fares are reasonable and we could drive to NYC. Those who have done this itinerary - did you enjoy it? We could leave either October 12 or 19th; I doubt there would be much of a difference foliage-wise or weather-wise, right? I still have some vacation time this year and am looking for a fairly reasonable way to use it without using it for a staycation. (Unfortunately, my workplace is use it or lose it, so I definitely want to use it!)

There aren't really any other ports we can drive to, so it's pretty much NYC if we don't want to add airfare on to the cost.

We're think about a New England/Canada cruise out of NYC in October because the fares are reasonable and we could drive to NYC. Those who have done this itinerary - did you enjoy it? We could leave either October 12 or 19th; I doubt there would be much of a difference foliage-wise or weather-wise, right? I still have some vacation time this year and am looking for a fairly reasonable way to use it without using it for a staycation. (Unfortunately, my workplace is use it or lose it, so I definitely want to use it!)

There aren't really any other ports we can drive to, so it's pretty much NYC if we don't want to add airfare on to the cost.

We have done this cruise 3 times for similar reasons! The ports are all easy to visit and very friendly towards the cruise ship passenger. I especially found this in the 2 Canadian ports. As far as weather, we went the 2nd full week in October 2004, 2007 and 2010. In 2004 we had 25 ft seas as well as 70 mph winds. We had Halifax as our first stop and we cruised up with TS Nicole! Very rough ride. Many seasick. Otherwise very nice ports and a lot of history if you like it. The second time, the almost calmest waters we ever experienced, only smoother in Alaska. Sunny nice weather, although cool on the ship. The port order was in slightly differnet order and we visited Bar Harbor first, then to Halifax, St John (which have a nice welcome to the city with roses for the ladies and a bagpiper playing upon departure) The last trip in 2010, the ports were reversed and we missed Newport due to high winds and rough water (nothing like the first trip!) and I really think it was missed was due to the fact that it is a tender port. The rest of that last cruise was fine. All the ports with the exception of Boston are basically step off the ship and explore ports. Princess does provide bus transportation for around $12 from what I recall to the historic area and the Freedom Trail. We did not book any tours on board with the exception of that bus which is not a booked item. These towns are very toursit/cruise ship passender friendly and are very quaint and fun. We left out of Manhatten in 2004 and Brooklyn the other 2 times. We were on the Grand, Crown (both same captain) and the Caribbean, respectively.

There actually could be a difference so far as Fall foliage is concerned. Peak is usually around the 2nd week in October in northern New England. A week's difference could mean that the leaves would be post-peak and falling. If it were me, I'd book the earlier week.

Here's a link to Yankee Magazine's Fall Foliage forecast page. These are predictions which like weather forecasting, is not an exact science. http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peak-foliage-forecast-map/

Pam, thanks for the link; I see what you mean. We will choose the earlier week if we decide to go. Sept10, thanks for the info; since you've been three times I guess you enjoyed it! I know the weather will be a crapshoot so I guess I won't worry too much about that. Do you remember how expensive parking was near the ship terminal?

Concur with Pam but Mother Nature isn't always as predictable as we'd like her to be. I've done this one twice and enjoyed them both. Next cruise trip to Canada we'll go B2B so we have two shots at seeing the ports. Loved "Bah Hahbor" for Cadillac Mtn and Acadia Nat'l Park foliage...wonderful scenery but sometimes it rains which is a bit of a spoiler...take a brolly! The reversing falls jet boat in St. John is very exciting, an e-ticket ride for sure. Boston city bus tour was good for seeing all the historical stuff. Have never cared for Newport and both times I was there the weather was pretty ugly. The Titanic cemetery in Halifax is very interesting depending on the guide you have for the bus tour. Sailing into and out of NY Harbor past the Statue of Liberty is memorable but try to get to Ellis Island either pre-or post- cruise to really get a feeling for immigrants in the late 1800-early 1900's. Flew into EWR, stayed overnight and then caught the Princess bus early on the days we sailed. Piece of cake! Have fun!

Pam, thanks for the link; I see what you mean. We will choose the earlier week if we decide to go. Sept10, thanks for the info; since you've been three times I guess you enjoyed it! I know the weather will be a crapshoot so I guess I won't worry too much about that. Do you remember how expensive parking was near the ship terminal?

We didn't park in Manhatten. The other Canada/NE we were dropped off. In Brooklyn we did in 2011 for an Eastern Caribbean Princess cruise and I think it was 23/day. Not cheap. FYI, another local port that is really nice to cruise from is Baltimore. It isn't too far, parking is very inexpensive (or it was back in 2008 $10/day) No Princess ships but just to let you know.

As far as the fall colors, Acadia NP was best for that when we went. It is a beautiful park if you have never been (we did it all 3 trips! Oli's Trolley. We did the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and Citadel in Halifax. In St John there is a Loyalist house which was interesting. Boston Freedom trail and all the historic sites along the way. The USS Constitution is very impressive, I believe it is closed one day per week as it was on our last trip there. I don't know if you have ever visited Boston, but very historic and fun to visit. Newport is a quaint cobblestone fishing/resort town. Doris Duke Mansion is there. I guess I mention that since I grew up near her estate in NJ so always some interest there. Getting to the pier is easy and very efficient as well.

Have done this cruise and really enjoyed, even though we travel to the east coast often. The itinerary is great, interesting ports and lots to see and do. Just a note regarding a previous posters note - Ellis Island is currently closed due to hurricane Sandy last year. They still don't know when it will open, but hopefully sometime in late 2014 or early 2015. Hope you decide to go and have a wonderful time.

My wife and I have done the Canada/New England cruise three times(all in Sept.) and will be doing it again this Sept!! The ports are beautiful and the people are so friendly and helpful. All ports can be done on your own without taking excursions. If you visit Newport on your cruise and are thinking of visiting several of the mansions check out the Newport Historical Society website. Becoming a member can be a great tax deductible investment with some really nice incentives! As someone from the northeast I will tell you that our prime foliage season is up in the air right now. Our weather has been extremely wet with above average temperatures so how it will effect the leaves changing remains to be seen. You should really enjoy this cruise!!

The departure port says either Manhattan or Brooklyn; is there any way to tell which one? Parking is much more expensive in Manhattan, no surprise there, I guess. I'm just trying to get a realistic idea of all the costs involved. Also, we would drive in the day before. Since I know hotels are sky high in NYC, does anyone have any hotel suggestions?

I'm getting kind of excited about this idea. Thanks everyone for your input!

Sept10, my sister and BIL live in MD so I know Carnival and RCL have ships from Baltimore. Too bad no Princess!

The departure port says either Manhattan or Brooklyn; is there any way to tell which one? Parking is much more expensive in Manhattan, no surprise there, I guess. I'm just trying to get a realistic idea of all the costs involved. Also, we would drive in the day before. Since I know hotels are sky high in NYC, does anyone have any hotel suggestions?
Red Hook, Brooklyn. Manhattan is usually only used as a port stop location, not an embarkation/disembarkation terminal.

I'm getting kind of excited about this idea. Thanks everyone for your input!

Sept10, my sister and BIL live in MD so I know Carnival and RCL have ships from Baltimore. Too bad no Princess!

We left from Manhatten in 2004. We left from Brooklyn 2007,2009 and 2011. They did tell me when booking because I asked. You may see if someone can drop you off but then there are all the tolls etc. We were dropped off all but the last cruise since those dropping us off usually came with us! I really am not that familiar with hotels since I live here but they are usually much less on the NJ side, hoboken is one place. Still expensive I would think though. Yes, Baltimore no Princess. We did a RCCL out of there and the cruise through there was really nice. I guess as you know the port is just right off I 95.

Red Hook, Brooklyn. Manhattan is usually only used as a port stop location, not an embarkation/disembarkation terminal.

It was for us in 2004, next to NCL Dawn in Manhatten. The more recent cruises we took out of NYC were Brooklyn though.

Please be careful where you leave your car if it is Red Hook.

I have no idea why you would tell someone that. We have parked at the Red Hook terminal quite a few times and have never had any problem nor have I heard of anyone who did. The parking area is gated and patrolled. If you park at the terminal your car will be fine. Brooklyn(Red Hook) is a great terminal to cruise from. So much easier than Manhattan.

Edited by zacc

We just did this cruise out of NY (Brooklyn) last year; first week of October. Lucked out with great weather; lower 70's in St. John, Bar Harbor and Newport. Loved this cruise and we flew in to NY and stayed the day before departure. Highly recommend this cruise!

I have no idea why you would tell someone that. We have parked at the Red Hook terminal quite a few times and have never had any problem nor have I heard of anyone who did. The parking area is gated and patrolled. If you park at the terminal your car will be fine. Brooklyn(Red Hook) is a great terminal to cruise from. So much easier than Manhattan.

It has nothing to do with security. Was it 2011 or 2012 where all the cars were flooded due to the hurricane that came through the area. I believe signs are posted for the parking area but many did not see them.

It has nothing to do with security. Was it 2011 or 2012 where all the cars were flooded due to the hurricane that came through the area. I believe signs are posted for the parking area but many did not see them.

It is very true that there is no problem with security in Brooklyn, and it's the easiest ever place to park. BUT, it does flood. It was this past October, when Superstorm Sandy came barreling through, that all or most of the cars were destroyed. But that was unusual. I was on the 2 cruises (Bermuda and repo), both out of NYC, and a lot of people on the 4-day lost their cars. The year before I sailed during the Irene cruise, and it wasn't nearly as bad. Parking there is about $20.00 a day.

As for Yay or Nay on the cruise, a huge YAY! I've done it twice and absolutely loved it. Great ports, easy to navigate on your own and very port intensive if you like that. I had actually booked it for this year, too, but changed my mind and am doing the repo and 4-day Veterans cruise.

I know you will love this cruise.

Maureen

Hmmm, hadn't thought to be concerned about flooding.....if we park in the Red Hook lot, is any of it "higher ground" and a little safer from water? Or is it just a big flat parking lot? I guess we would know by the time we park if trouble is on its way and could make plans accordingly. I just know nothing about Brooklyn or NYC and don't really know where we would park other than the lot at the terminal. We don't know anyone in the area who could drop us off, unfortunately. The only other thing we could do is park elsewhere and take a shuttle or taxi. I don't imagine any of the hotels offer free or cheap parking? That could offset the cost of a cab or shuttle to the terminal.

Other than that, it sounds like this is a cruise we would enjoy and I'm sure we can figure it all out. DH and I love history so I think we would really like that angle of this cruise.

Hmmm, hadn't thought to be concerned about flooding.....if we park in the Red Hook lot, is any of it "higher ground" and a little safer from water? Or is it just a big flat parking lot? I guess we would know by the time we park if trouble is on its way and could make plans accordingly. I just know nothing about Brooklyn or NYC and don't really know where we would park other than the lot at the terminal. We don't know anyone in the area who could drop us off, unfortunately. The only other thing we could do is park elsewhere and take a shuttle or taxi. I don't imagine any of the hotels offer free or cheap parking? That could offset the cost of a cab or shuttle to the terminal.

Other than that, it sounds like this is a cruise we would enjoy and I'm sure we can figure it all out. DH and I love history so I think we would really like that angle of this cruise.

The parking lot is pretty much flat and of course right near water being at the port. I do not know of local hotels doing a stay/park thing in NY or NJ but I really have never researched it. Where are you driving from? Maybe someone can drop you off. You may want to check out the Eastern Port boards to see if any local hotels provide the service. We have found it at other ports.

Yes, the cruise visits very historic places. One thing I do before visiting any port (any place actually) is call/email the local visitor centers and have them mail local maps/information. I have always received much free information, and I make a binder for each day. Yes, a dinosaur but so much easier for me to follow and I put all info in it with dividers. I also place coupons received online or in the mail in the proper place. Just something I do. Most places will send local maps and places of interest. There are many historic places to visit and the National Park Service offers information on their website as well as mailing it to you if you request it from the individual parks. Boston has many in the NPS system. Lexington and Concord is neat, but with just an afternoon, the actual Freedom Trail most likely is enough to do. Have a nice trip should you decide to take the cruise.

Definitely choose the earlier date because in Maine, peak is usually the second week in Oct. And, keep in mind a lot of seasonal shops and restaurants close after Columbus Day weekend. Anyway, you will love this route. I love Princess, but I don't believe that Princess stops in Portland, which is really a shame because my hometown is so wonderful:)

. A week's difference could mean that the leaves would be post-peak and falling. If it were me, I'd book the earlier week.

Go with Pam's advice...it might be snowing in mid-October.

New Hampshire Steve

Sept10, we are driving from Cleveland, OH. About an 8 hour drive, according to MapQuest, and $120 in fuel RT (I like that little feature on MapQuest!) Parking for 7 nights would be $140 at the terminal. Plus tolls on the PA turnpike, and for bridges/tunnels in NY? Plus one hotel night at let's say $250 since we would have to drive in the night before. Unless we pulled an all-nighter, but that's not really us anymore!

I priced flying and right now it would be about $500 for both, and since it is less than a 2 hour flight, we could fly in that morning so no hotel needed. We would just have to pay for parking on this end and a shuttle/taxi from the airport to the terminal. When we add it all up, maybe flying is the way to go after all.

Yes, based on Pam's advice, the earlier week would be better. We might even look at Oct. 5 if the prices aren't too much higher.

I think last years storm was the exception to the rule. But some of the things that I think I still remember. Besides the parking lot flooding and many cars being destroyed the terminal was closed due to flooding and if I remember correctly they moved all ships to Manhattan. The city lost power in some areas one being the terminal in Manhattan. For a time taxi's were restricted from coming into Manhattan. Flights were canceled so some cruisers could not make it to the ship. Those that did come in the day before had to wait 2 or maybe 3 days to get on the ship. Ships stayed in Boston to wait out the storm and then had to wait till New York harbor was cleared. There are others on CC that can answer this way better then I but since you are looking at costs is there trip insurance for cancel for any reason including natural disaster. Again last year was IMHO the exception but September can be beautiful or you can get snow or rain. Just one more thing to think about. :)

Edited by waltd

We did the last cruise of the year during Sandy. Quebec City to Ft.Lauderdale missed lots of ports but Princess did a fine job and added a bunch of CDN ports to keep us out of harms way..

We look forward to sailing it again so we can see the NY ports and Boston.

Life is an adventure go for it.