NE/Canada cruise RT NYC - yay or nay?

pompeii

Definitely choose the earlier date because in Maine, peak is usually the second week in Oct. And, keep in mind a lot of seasonal shops and restaurants close after Columbus Day weekend. Anyway, you will love this route. I love Princess, but I don't believe that Princess stops in Portland, which is really a shame because my hometown is so wonderful:)

Most Princess ships stop in Bar Harbor, Maine. Both times I was there after October 15th and Bar Harbor was all open, very welcoming to visitors (none of the shops were closed). We were too early for colors the first time (cruise left NYC October 15th). Second time we were in Bar Harbor on October 30th and hit colors just right.

Edited by Coral

Sept10, we are driving from Cleveland, OH. About an 8 hour drive, according to MapQuest, and $120 in fuel RT (I like that little feature on MapQuest!) Parking for 7 nights would be $140 at the terminal. Plus tolls on the PA turnpike, and for bridges/tunnels in NY? Plus one hotel night at let's say $250 since we would have to drive in the night before. Unless we pulled an all-nighter, but that's not really us anymore!

I priced flying and right now it would be about $500 for both, and since it is less than a 2 hour flight, we could fly in that morning so no hotel needed. We would just have to pay for parking on this end and a shuttle/taxi from the airport to the terminal. When we add it all up, maybe flying is the way to go after all.

Yes, based on Pam's advice, the earlier week would be better. We might even look at Oct. 5 if the prices aren't too much higher.

We drove home from NE Ohio last fall after the Emerald TA. We rented a car out of LaGuardia, and it was a very easy and pleasant drive. There were lots of fall colors along the way, and I think it took us less than 8 hrs. The upside of the drive was not worrying about how much the luggage weighed and other airport hassles.

We did the last cruise of the year during Sandy. Quebec City to Ft.Lauderdale missed lots of ports but Princess did a fine job and added a bunch of CDN ports to keep us out of harms way..

We look forward to sailing it again so we can see the NY ports and Boston.

Life is an adventure go for it.

We're taking the same itinerary on the Emerald this year; I hope we have better luck than you did. We were on the Emerald TA last year, and we just missed all of the problems with Sandy.

I think last years storm was the exception to the rule...

...except for the year before. Between Sandy in 2012 and Alfred in 2011, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Halloween_nor'easter), New England has had freakish weather two Octobers in a row. Double-whammy or new pattern? Who knows? Either way, I would purchase travel insurance for an October sailing.

...except for the year before. Between Sandy in 2012 and Alfred in 2011, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Halloween_nor'easter), New England has had freakish weather two Octobers in a row. Double-whammy or new pattern? Who knows? Either way, I would purchase travel insurance for an October sailing.

And we had snow white out snow conditions in 2009 in Quebec in October. Missed Newfoundland due to weather. In 2005, we arrived during several weeks have horrid rains and flooding in the NE ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_U.S._flooding_of_October_2005 ) . Thankfully the rains ended right for our cruise but the cruises before us were awful (according to crew) and our pre-cruise plans in NYC had to be changed and we stayed in our hotel.

On the 2009 cruise, peak colors in Bar Harbor, Maine and Boston were October 30th and 31st. On our cruise in 2005, we were too early for colors with our October 15th departure from NYC.

Edited by Coral

Sept10, we are driving from Cleveland, OH. About an 8 hour drive, according to MapQuest, and $120 in fuel RT (I like that little feature on MapQuest!) Parking for 7 nights would be $140 at the terminal. Plus tolls on the PA turnpike, and for bridges/tunnels in NY? Plus one hotel night at let's say $250 since we would have to drive in the night before. Unless we pulled an all-nighter, but that's not really us anymore!

I priced flying and right now it would be about $500 for both, and since it is less than a 2 hour flight, we could fly in that morning so no hotel needed. We would just have to pay for parking on this end and a shuttle/taxi from the airport to the terminal. When we add it all up, maybe flying is the way to go after all.

Yes, based on Pam's advice, the earlier week would be better. We might even look at Oct. 5 if the prices aren't too much higher.

It is not a bad drive, we have driven cross country 7 times and will do again. The Sandy storm was a freak storm and not the norm. Although parking is near the water, it does not flood with the tides or on a regular basis. I guess you will have to weigh your options, I don't fly anymore for many reasons so driving is it and you wouldn't believe the drive we will do for a cruise in the near future. Anyway, did you check any of the hotels to see if they have a stay/park/transfer to the pier option? You may be able to do so if you end up driving. I think Princess, at times, has bus transfers as well from different localities within 2 hr dr. You may just be better flying if you don't mind doing so though. I guess as far as weather, leaf color, temp. it all depends. We did a Bermuda cruise on RCCL last Sept between hurricaines and although the cruise there and back was really smooth, while there very windy and rainy. The NCL Star actually broke its moorings and the ship hit into the Explorer of the Seas that we were on. I watched in disbelief as the ship broke free, when I first saw movement, I just thought they were leaving since it was the departure day, but then the lines snapped and the ship was loose in the ocean. It drifted toward us (we were in an aft facing balcony ) and hit! Then it drifted next to us still not powered up. It eventually started and redocked so the passengers could board and we all went home! But anything can happen! Hope you decide your trip, if you do I'm sure you will enjoy it.

And we had snow white out snow conditions in 2009 in Quebec in October. Missed Newfoundland due to weather. In 2005, we arrived during several weeks have horrid rains and flooding in the NE ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_U.S._flooding_of_October_2005 ) . Thankfully the rains ended right for our cruise but the cruises before us were awful (according to crew) and our pre-cruise plans in NYC had to be changed and we stayed in our hotel.

On the 2009 cruise, peak colors in Bar Harbor, Maine and Boston were October 30th and 31st. On our cruise in 2005, we were too early for colors with our October 15th departure from NYC.

2005 was awful. We thought it would never stop raining. Thankfully our basement stayed dry but I know many who had swimming pools in theirs.

This year we have had record rains in June and several heat waves with another predicted for next week. Usually that means a duller than usual foliage season. More browns and yellows and fewer reds. As for timing, that is difficult to forecast. Usually, from NY to Maine you are best off between October 15 and 25. Further north and at higher inland elevations, figure on October 10-20. I tend to find that the forecast maps for "peak" foliage err on the early side by a week. They call it "peak" before the leaves start to fall which means that there is still a good bit of green left. I think that the colors are prettier once the leaves start to fall and there is little green left. True, the trees have fewer leaves on them. But colorful leaves on the ground coupled with colorful leaves on the trees is visually more stunning than a mix of green leaves and colors all on the trees. Just my opinion. So if you are looking at a foliage forecast and it is telling you that you are going to be a week late for peak, fear not. It will still be great.

Every year is a little different for peak color. Too early and not much change in colors. I would rather be just at or past what they call peak. There will still be leaves on the trees of various shades and the air crisp. Just my thoughts. The main area of the fall colors was Bar Harbor for our 3 cruises with a tour of Acadia NP. While the other ports did have the colors of fall, this was the most dramatic. You also have to realize that you are visiting port areas and the colors generally linger there more so than inland higher elevations with cooler temps. Coastal areas can be a week or 2 later. Living here in the NE all my life, I really didn't cruise this particular area for the color changes, I did so more for the history as well as local for me to get to port.

2005 was awful. We thought it would never stop raining. Thankfully our basement stayed dry but I know many who had swimming pools in theirs.

This year we have had record rains in June and several heat waves with another predicted for next week. Usually that means a duller than usual foliage season. More browns and yellows and fewer reds. As for timing, that is difficult to forecast. Usually, from NY to Maine you are best off between October 15 and 25. Further north and at higher inland elevations, figure on October 10-20. I tend to find that the forecast maps for "peak" foliage err on the early side by a week. They call it "peak" before the leaves start to fall which means that there is still a good bit of green left. I think that the colors are prettier once the leaves start to fall and there is little green left. True, the trees have fewer leaves on them. But colorful leaves on the ground coupled with colorful leaves on the trees is visually more stunning than a mix of green leaves and colors all on the trees. Just my opinion. So if you are looking at a foliage forecast and it is telling you that you are going to be a week late for peak, fear not. It will still be great.

In 2005, just trying to walk to restaurants in Time Square felt like walking through 2' of water! It was awful. I have never seen so much rain.

I have researched this to death (best time for colors) and I think you are right! I also think the ports are later than inland which puts most fall foliage charts off when considering cruising. I think inland, Columbus Day is probably good but for ports, it seems October 15 or beyond. Though, Quebec is probably sooner. I remember being in Boston on Halloween Day and they kept saying that was the best day for fall foliage that year. It was sort of late that year.

OK, maybe the October 12 departure would be a good middle ground. DH is now saying that he would like to do a little sightseeing beforehand, so we would probably go in on Thursday and sightsee on Friday. If we can find a hotel where we could park for free or cheap that isn't crazy expensive, then we would probably drive. I do like the thought that we wouldn't have to hassle with the airport and luggage concerns.

Thanks everyone for your input. Keep it coming - the more info the better!

Coastal areas can be a week or 2 later. Living here in the NE all my life, I really didn't cruise this particular area for the color changes, I did so more for the history as well as local for me to get to port.

I think you are right about the coastal areas being a week or two later.

Everything I have read, the fall foliage charts mostly refer to inland and not coastal/port areas.

Edited by Coral

Everything I have read, the fall foliage charts mostly refer to inland and not coastal/port areas.

That is correct. Coastal areas can be a full 10-15 days behind inland areas and points of higher elevation. It does not surprise me at all that someone in Boston would consider Halloween to be peak (in some years). Of course, that person was probably using my definition of peak.

Edited by JimmyVWine

We didn't park in Manhatten. The other Canada/NE we were dropped off. In Brooklyn we did in 2011 for an Eastern Caribbean Princess cruise and I think it was 23/day. Not cheap. FYI, another local port that is really nice to cruise from is Baltimore. It isn't too far, parking is very inexpensive (or it was back in 2008 $10/day) No Princess ships but just to let you know.

As far as the fall colors, Acadia NP was best for that when we went. It is a beautiful park if you have never been (we did it all 3 trips! Oli's Trolley. We did the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and Citadel in Halifax. In St John there is a Loyalist house which was interesting. Boston Freedom trail and all the historic sites along the way. The USS Constitution is very impressive, I believe it is closed one day per week as it was on our last trip there. I don't know if you have ever visited Boston, but very historic and fun to visit. Newport is a quaint cobblestone fishing/resort town. Doris Duke Mansion is there. I guess I mention that since I grew up near her estate in NJ so always some interest there. Getting to the pier is easy and very efficient as well.

Hi Sep10,

Would you kindly tell me where we can board Oli's Trolley. When my husband and I were in Halifax several months ago we were unable to go to Acadia due to inclement weather. We are Both Into photography. This will be a wonderful Photo OP.

Thank you

Joy1

I think you are right about the coastal areas being a week or two later.

Yes, I live here about 1/2 hr inland and there can be vast differences. Just a drive to northern NJ and all the leaves will be in full color, and here just the beginning. Anyway, just past what is called peak is always nicer to me. Some leaves on the trees, some on the ground and crisp autumn air. As you go north, being coastal, you will experience some of the different variations of fall. We did leave the week with Columbus day each time. Just so happened not by plan. kind of best prices while not the last cruise. I know that Bar Harbor has a free bus that can be taken around town and to the local areas but I always missed it due to it stopping on Columbus day! We did however always see the fall colors in Acadia with some leaves on some off the trees-to me the best views. You can see through some of the deciduous trees with all the fall colors since leaves have fallen. The evergreens lurking behind and the blanket of fallen leaves make a perfect picture! The autumn is my favorite time of year!

Hi Sep10,

Would you kindly tell me where we can board Oli's Trolley. When my husband and I were in Halifax several months ago we were unable to go to Acadia due to inclement weather. We are Both Into photography. This will be a wonderful Photo OP.

Thank you

Joy1

There is a little store right where the tenders dock and you can buy tickets there. We did use them each time visiting Bar Harbor. The National Park Service also has a similiar tour, but we didn't use them-not sure where their location is but I'm sure not far. Bar Harbor also has a free Explorer bus that takes you all through the area; we never were able to use it since it stops operation on Columbus day. We cruised on our 3 times that week so we missed it. And, YES, Acadia NP is a wonderful photo op! We did the 3 hr each time and it was wonderful. I think there is a 2 hr as well but not much difference in cost. It was around $28 each when we visited. (and we did this each time so you can see we like it!) Get information from Acadia so you can be familar with the park before getting there. I always do so as well with all other places we will visit. Good luck next trip to BarHarbor! Just realized you say Halifax-Oli's Trolley is in BarHarbor, at least the one we were on. I do not recall something called that in Halifax.

Edited by sept10dsm

We didn't park in Manhatten. The other Canada/NE we were dropped off. In Brooklyn we did in 2011 for an Eastern Caribbean Princess cruise and I think it was 23/day. Not cheap. FYI, another local port that is really nice to cruise from is Baltimore. It isn't too far, parking is very inexpensive (or it was back in 2008 $10/day) No Princess ships but just to let you know.

As far as the fall colors, Acadia NP was best for that when we went. It is a beautiful park if you have never been (we did it all 3 trips! Oli's Trolley. We did the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and Citadel in Halifax. In St John there is a Loyalist house which was interesting. Boston Freedom trail and all the historic sites along the way. The USS Constitution is very impressive, I believe it is closed one day per week as it was on our last trip there. I don't know if you have ever visited Boston, but very historic and fun to visit. Newport is a quaint cobblestone fishing/resort town. Doris Duke Mansion is there. I guess I mention that since I grew up near her estate in NJ so always some interest there. Getting to the pier is easy and very efficient as well.

Thank you so much Sept10 for taking the time to respond to my request.

There is a little store right where the tenders dock and you can buy tickets there. We did use them each time visiting Bar Harbor. The National Park Service also has a similiar tour, but we didn't use them-not sure where their location is but I'm sure not far. Bar Harbor also has a free Explorer bus that takes you all through the area; we never were able to use it since it stops operation on Columbus day. We cruised on our 3 times that week so we missed it. And, YES, Acadia NP is a wonderful photo op! We did the 3 hr each time and it was wonderful. I think there is a 2 hr as well but not much difference in cost. It was around $28 each when we visited. (and we did this each time so you can see we like it!) Get information from Acadia so you can be familar with the park before getting there. I always do so as well with all other places we will visit. Good luck next trip to BarHarbor! Just realized you say Halifax-Oli's Trolley is in BarHarbor, at least the one we were on. I do not recall something called that in Halifax.

Yes, I live here about 1/2 hr inland and there can be vast differences. Just a drive to northern NJ and all the leaves will be in full color, and here just the beginning. Anyway, just past what is called peak is always nicer to me. Some leaves on the trees, some on the ground and crisp autumn air. As you go north, being coastal, you will experience some of the different variations of fall. We did leave the week with Columbus day each time. Just so happened not by plan. kind of best prices while not the last cruise. I know that Bar Harbor has a free bus that can be taken around town and to the local areas but I always missed it due to it stopping on Columbus day! We did however always see the fall colors in Acadia with some leaves on some off the trees-to me the best views. You can see through some of the deciduous trees with all the fall colors since leaves have fallen. The evergreens lurking behind and the blanket of fallen leaves make a perfect picture! The autumn is my favorite time of year!

Actually - that free bus in Bar Harbor is the only thing not running when we have reached Bar Harbor late in the season. Not sure when it stops.

I love Autumn but we really don't have it where I live (midwest). For one reason or another, we seem to miss it (wind blows all the leaves off when they start to turn, ice on green leaves and then they fall, etc...)

Yes, I live here about 1/2 hr inland and there can be vast differences. Just a drive to northern NJ and all the leaves will be in full color, and here just the beginning. Anyway, just past what is called peak is always nicer to me.
I agree with you. I lived northeast of Boston by about 20 miles in Marblehead and Salem right on the coast for 35 years. Just a few miles inland can make a huge difference in temperatures (10-20 degrees), weather, foliage, etc. We'd drive perhaps 1/2 hour north on 93 towards NH and the colors would be spectacular. My family had a 2nd home in VT and we used to always go up there the 1st or 2nd week of October for the foliage. Spectacular. As you say, it'll be different right on the coast vs. just a few miles inland. Also, the further north you are, the better the color. Foliage season lasts about 3-4 weeks, starting in Canada and working it's way down to the south.

One reason why I'd avoid post-peak is that all it takes is one good storm and the leaves are gone quickly. From late September to mid-October, you'll see a wide range of color.

I agree with you. I lived northeast of Boston by about 20 miles in Marblehead and Salem right on the coast for 35 years. Just a few miles inland can make a huge difference in temperatures (10-20 degrees), weather, foliage, etc. We'd drive perhaps 1/2 hour north on 93 towards NH and the colors would be spectacular. My family had a 2nd home in VT and we used to always go up there the 1st or 2nd week of October for the foliage. Spectacular. As you say, it'll be different right on the coast vs. just a few miles inland. Also, the further north you are, the better the color. Foliage season lasts about 3-4 weeks, starting in Canada and working it's way down to the south.

One reason why I'd avoid post-peak is that all it takes is one good storm and the leaves are gone quickly. From late September to mid-October, you'll see a wide range of color.

Yes, such a beautiful area esp. during fall. Salem is such a neat place to visit! Yes, and you are right about the leaves, but it seems there are still a few left! We were in CO one time and one day all the yellow/amber leaves the next many, many gone from a wind/rain storm!

Actually - that free bus in Bar Harbor is the only thing not running when we have reached Bar Harbor late in the season. Not sure when it stops.

I love Autumn but we really don't have it where I live (midwest). For one reason or another, we seem to miss it (wind blows all the leaves off when they start to turn, ice on green leaves and then they fall, etc...)

The years I visited it stopped on Columbus day and we missed it. Most of the town was still open during that week and some good sales as well. Yes, I guess I really didn't realize how many areas of the country do not get the autumn colors! We are spoiled here and lucky to have them every year.

We've done the RT Canada/NE out of NY four times and we have to come from Texas to do it :-) It was our first cruise and we loved it. We also did the 12 day Quebec to FLL version.

With the exception of the Quebec trip we were either a week too soon or a week too early to catch the best colors - but it really didn't matter - the entire area is spectacular. We're thinking one more time couldn't hurt.... :-)

I

Yeah cuz we are going sept 28 to oct 5 so fingers crossed!