Baltic Marvels

TimiR

Hello everyone!

I'm a cruise noob here but I'm surprising my parents with a cruise (their first ever). I've been lurking here and this sub forum has helped me decide to go with Oceania. You guys make it sound so awesome!

Anyways, I went with the 'Baltic Marvels' (7 days Copenhagen to Stockholm) for June of next year. For those of you who've done this cruise or stopped at the ports included in this cruise, how did you like it? Is there lots to see and do? What were the ports like, are they in an industrial part of town?

As for tours, has anyone done the ones offered by Oceania? How many people are on it if you don't do the 'exclusive' ones? Which ports would you recommend they go on a tour and which ones are where they can just pick up a map and go? Is it wise to get an excursion package or am I better off arranging tours with a private company?

Sorry for all those questions! It's just I'll be handling the planning and financial side of things since it's a surprise. I just want them to show up, relax and enjoy. I don't want them to have to worry about anything!

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone!

I'm a cruise noob here but I'm surprising my parents with a cruise (their first ever). I've been lurking here and this sub forum has helped me decide to go with Oceania. You guys make it sound so awesome!

Anyways, I went with the 'Baltic Marvels' (7 days Copenhagen to Stockholm) for June of next year. For those of you who've done this cruise or stopped at the ports included in this cruise, how did you like it? Is there lots to see and do? What were the ports like, are they in an industrial part of town?

As for tours, has anyone done the ones offered by Oceania? How many people are on it if you don't do the 'exclusive' ones? Which ports would you recommend they go on a tour and which ones are where they can just pick up a map and go? Is it wise to get an excursion package or am I better off arranging tours with a private company?

Sorry for all those questions! It's just I'll be handling the planning and financial side of things since it's a surprise. I just want them to show up, relax and enjoy. I don't want them to have to worry about anything!

Thanks in advance!

Oh my..to have a son like you......you have picked a wonderful trip for your folks . I would suggest doing the "air deviation" with "O" to get them into Copenhagen a day early..this ensures they make the cruise and lets them get acclimated to the time change/etc.

Their first stop is Warmemunde..one of my favorites...the ship tour goes to Berlin.....this is a LONG tour...3 hours each way via train. Only a few hours tour in Berlin..We did a town Rostock and then wiled away our afternoon in Warnemunde a delightful seaside town with the best bratwurst we have ever had.They are at sea the next day...time to enjoy tea at 4pm yum.

Today they will be in Talinn...no need for tours..can do on own.get cab at port to old town..he will return for pickup at a designated time

Next up. St Pete

I cannot stress this more........hire your own tour....We love Alla tour....class act...do NOT listen when O says you need visas etc....Alla provides the visas as do other tours.

Next up Helsinki.....we just jumped on the tram outside the terminal and just did the whole loop around the area just to check it all out then got off where we wanted then back on again. They then end up in Stockholm...need to spend some extra days here...great city.

Feel free to contact me.....debocon at metrocast dot net

How fortunate your parents are ~ this is a wonderful surprise you are putting together. I was on a Baltic cruise in 2008 and loved it. My cruise, however, was on another line and 12 nights. It would be helpful if you indicated which specific ports are visited. I'm leaving for a five week vacation on July 14, but if you post tomorrow, I will comment on ports, etc. for you. Since 2009, O has been our cruise line of choice; I'm sure your parents will enjoy it. As a rule, however, their shore excursions are pricey and crowded ~ think a bus of 40 people. Join the role call for their cruise on their behalf and try to arrange shared private excursions for them. One question ~ do they have passports?

If not, you will have to tell them a trip is being planned so they can get those.

Harriet

Oh my..to have a son like you......you have picked a wonderful trip for your folks . I would suggest doing the "air deviation" with "O" to get them into Copenhagen a day early..this ensures they make the cruise and lets them get acclimated to the time change/etc.

Their first stop is Warmemunde..one of my favorites...the ship tour goes to Berlin.....this is a LONG tour...3 hours each way via train. Only a few hours tour in Berlin..We did a town Rostock and then wiled away our afternoon in Warnemunde a delightful seaside town with the best bratwurst we have ever had.They are at sea the next day...time to enjoy tea at 4pm yum.

Today they will be in Talinn...no need for tours..can do on own.get cab at port to old town..he will return for pickup at a designated time

Next up. St Pete

I cannot stress this more........hire your own tour....We love Alla tour....class act...do NOT listen when O says you need visas etc....Alla provides the visas as do other tours.

Next up Helsinki.....we just jumped on the tram outside the terminal and just did the whole loop around the area just to check it all out then got off where we wanted then back on again. They then end up in Stockholm...need to spend some extra days here...great city.

Feel free to contact me.....debocon at metrocast dot net

Daughter, actually (no worries, common misconception b/c of my name hehe) but thank you. I really do hope that they enjoy! My hope is that this sparks something in them to stop worrying about us kids and start thinking a little more of themselves and just travel! They're simple, funloving people and I know they would never choose to do something "extravagant" like this or if they did, it would be at a much later point in their lives. I figured I'd give them a little nudge to start indulging again. They've been allowing me to indulge my whole life, it's their turn again!

As for getting getting there a day early and perhaps staying a few days after the cruise, is it it better to book a pre/post cruise package with O or should I book a hotel myself? I'm excited about the Germany part because my dad has hinted that he'd like to go to. Thank you for the heads up on the visa scare tactic. Last thing I want is for them to worry about anything. The itinerary looks like so much fun I'm half tempted to book myself and SO to go with but I don't want to impose on them hehehe.

I know I have more questions but I can't think of anything else right now. Will definitely contact you should I think of more. Thank you!!!

How fortunate your parents are ~ this is a wonderful surprise you are putting together. I was on a Baltic cruise in 2008 and loved it. My cruise, however, was on another line and 12 nights. It would be helpful if you indicated which specific ports are visited. I'm leaving for a five week vacation on July 14, but if you post tomorrow, I will comment on ports, etc. for you. Since 2009, O has been our cruise line of choice; I'm sure your parents will enjoy it. As a rule, however, their shore excursions are pricey and crowded ~ think a bus of 40 people. Join the role call for their cruise on their behalf and try to arrange shared private excursions for them. One question ~ do they have passports?

If not, you will have to tell them a trip is being planned so they can get those.

Harriet

Thank you! They deserve something nice! This cruise stops at Warnemunde, Tallinn, St Petersburg and Helsinki. I hope they love it so much and become loyal to the brand. I've fallen hard and this is just from researching on the forum and talking to the TA. I will definitely consider private tours for them, I don't want them to feel like they're lost in a crowd. I want them to be able to savor the sights and sounds. Will definitely make my way to the roll call. We're a fly by the seat of our pants kind of family so our passports are always ready hahahaha.

As just mentioned join the roll call for this cruise..lots of advice and opportunity for private tours

TimiR

I just checked the roll call....friends we met on previous sailings are on this cruise...your folks will love them

Thank you, will do! I hope my parents make friends! Hahaha, I feel like I'm sounding like a parent. But I just really want them to have a good time :p

Just a thought. Perhaps you should think of going with them since it is their first cruise and they may love the idea of having you with them. (We parents are like that!)

I concur with the advice to get a private tour in St Pete and also loved Alla Tours.

We did the rest of the itinerary by ourselves. We were on an R ship and were able to dock very close to Tallinn so it was an easy walk.

Don't miss: Christiania & Nyhavn in Copenhagen, the Vasa Museum in Stockholm (you don't have to spend a great deal of time here, but the ship is pretty awesome!) and the Rock Church in Helsinki. The two in Copenhagen are walkable, the Rock church can be reached from the tram. From our dock we could walk to the tram through a wonderful open-air market) and we took the bus to the Vasa Museum and were among the first to enter.

We did not go to Berlin but rode the train to Rostock which was very close to where we docked and took a boat cruise from there back to Warnemunde which was lovely then spent some time walking around Warnemunde and to the beach.

We always go a day or two early just so our luggage can catch up with us if there is a problem! Also gives us an extra day in a very cool city.

shopping: I looked for Merimekko fabric and found two napkins that are the perfect size to sew together for a pillow. Found a Dala horse at either Ahlens or NK dept store (both are good for Swedish items). Many passengers shopped for woolen goods and amber is always popular. Look for the Sweater Wall in Tallinn; Rick Steves is a great guide here.

Look at Fodors & Frommers for excellent city walking tours and the accompanying maps. Rick Steves is also a good source.

What a great kid you are! Seriously, think of going with them. What wonderful memories you all would have!

btw....they could also try river cruising in Europe. Smaller number of passengers and the ports are very easy to do on your own. Most of them have an included city tour and then there are often optionals in the afternoon. It is a lovely way to travel. Lots of companies to chose from and lots of itineraries. Go to the "river cruising" forums in CC.

Next up Helsinki.....we just jumped on the tram outside the terminal and just did the whole loop around the area just to check it all out then got off where we wanted then back on again.

Is this the 3T tram? Can you hop off and back on for the same fare? Thanks.

As for getting getting there a day early and perhaps staying a few days after the cruise, is it it better to book a pre/post cruise package with O or should I book a hotel myself?

I would highly suggest you book your own hotel and not go through Oceania. They charge you per person and you can book the same hotel on your own for a fraction of the cost. To select a hotel try tripadvisor or go on the Cruise Critic boards for that area and ask for suggestions. Your parents will love it.

Hi we are sailing to the Baltics in abut 7 weeks and are hitting all the ports on your list. I found if you go to alla-tours.com and register with them they have a 4city tour package that covers all on your list and their pricing is very resonabke. We are using them in stovkholm,helsinki, St Petersburg and Tallinn. We elected to do the Germany stop on our own but Alla has tours there as well. We had our first cruise to Alaska because our wonderful daughter sent us and will never forget the trip or her generosity.

Bill

I agree strongly with the posts that advise private tours in St. Petersburg. You will see more, be more comfortable, set your own agenda, go to the head of the line at all sights and it will wind up costing less than if you tried to see the same things through the ship. Alla, Red October and Denrus are three of the best companies.

Also agree to book your own hotels. Let your TA do this for you. You will save a bundle.

Have a great cruise.

Hi TimiR! Thanks for posting your ports. I will address them shortly. But first, you made a comment about going with your parents ~ I'm not sure if you were serious or half-hearted. However, I will tell you, as a mother of two 30-something sons, that your gift of a cruise will be greatly appreciated. But the gift of togetherness is priceless. You know your parents best and can determine if they would prefer alone time. But, IMHO, don't discount joining them for this remarkable itinerary.

I agree with others ~ book your own hotel, air too. Plan to arrive a day or two

early. Copenhagen is a great walking city. We enjoyed a tour of Christiansborg Palace, a canal ride, Tivoli Garden at night, and the Danish resistance Museum. We were less impressed with Rosenborg Castle.

In Wernamunde, we took the train to Rostock ~ very easy to do. After leisurely walking around to see the sights and have lunch, we took the boat back to Wernamunde. Ir was relaxing and offered a different perspective.

In Tallinn, we walked to the old town. We followed Rick Steves' walking tour and saw and learned much. Take the time to go into the museums. We had lunch at Balthezar, a garlic restaurant. This was one of our favorite ports.

In St. Petersburg we used Insider Tours. Not as well known as Alla, SPB or Denrus, we found them very efficient, with a quick return on emails. Our two-day tours were tailor-made to our specifications and our driver was safe and competent; our guide, knowledgeable and personable. It was like traveling with friends. Helsinki was a pleasant surprise. Visit Senate Square and the

Impressive Temppeliaukio Church, built into rock. Allow at least two days in Stockholm if possible. We took the public ferry to Djurgarden Island and went to the Vasa Museum. From there, still on the same island, we visited the Nordic Museum. Also visit the City Hall, home to the Nobel Prize banquet each year.

As stated earlier, the Rick Steves Scandinavia guidebook was invaluable.

Enjoy planning for this cruise.

Harriet

You may want to check the Ports of Call on Cruise Critic. It will give lots of practical recommendations on sights and guides.

In addition to the recommendations that Cruisecountess makes, be sure to catch the sail in to Stockholm--absolutely gorgeous scenery. Our guide in Stockholm told us about a unique experience. You can have your own Nobel Prize dinner--same menu, same china and crystal, etc. Unfortunately, they were already booked for the days we were there. It is not inexpensive, but what a unique experience.

Also, for one night in St. Petersburg, you may want to consider the Folkloric Show, our guide there secured the tickets for us. Lots of costumes, dancing, and music--very entertaining!

This was one of our favorite cruises. St. Petersburg was a highlight. The sheer extravagance of the palaces is overwhelming.

Just a thought. Perhaps you should think of going with them since it is their first cruise and they may love the idea of having you with them. (We parents are like that!)

I concur with the advice to get a private tour in St Pete and also loved Alla Tours.

We did the rest of the itinerary by ourselves. We were on an R ship and were able to dock very close to Tallinn so it was an easy walk.

Don't miss: Christiania & Nyhavn in Copenhagen, the Vasa Museum in Stockholm (you don't have to spend a great deal of time here, but the ship is pretty awesome!) and the Rock Church in Helsinki. The two in Copenhagen are walkable, the Rock church can be reached from the tram. From our dock we could walk to the tram through a wonderful open-air market) and we took the bus to the Vasa Museum and were among the first to enter.

We did not go to Berlin but rode the train to Rostock which was very close to where we docked and took a boat cruise from there back to Warnemunde which was lovely then spent some time walking around Warnemunde and to the beach.

We always go a day or two early just so our luggage can catch up with us if there is a problem! Also gives us an extra day in a very cool city.

shopping: I looked for Merimekko fabric and found two napkins that are the perfect size to sew together for a pillow. Found a Dala horse at either Ahlens or NK dept store (both are good for Swedish items). Many passengers shopped for woolen goods and amber is always popular. Look for the Sweater Wall in Tallinn; Rick Steves is a great guide here.

Look at Fodors & Frommers for excellent city walking tours and the accompanying maps. Rick Steves is also a good source.

What a great kid you are! Seriously, think of going with them. What wonderful memories you all would have!

btw....they could also try river cruising in Europe. Smaller number of passengers and the ports are very easy to do on your own. Most of them have an included city tour and then there are often optionals in the afternoon. It is a lovely way to travel. Lots of companies to chose from and lots of itineraries. Go to the "river cruising" forums in CC.

Thank you! I'm now considering flying them in a day or 2 early just so they can acclimate themselves. I will definitely be asking my mom to bring me back a dala horse and perhaps a linen shirt from Tallinn hehe. Doubt that I'd end up going with them just because I may be in Italy around that time.

River cruises were definitely options. I was considering Grand Circle and Uniworld (they looked nice and promising) but for their first ever cruise, I felt that they would enjoy this itinerary better. Hopefully they will!

I would highly suggest you book your own hotel and not go through Oceania. They charge you per person and you can book the same hotel on your own for a fraction of the cost. To select a hotel try tripadvisor or go on the Cruise Critic boards for that area and ask for suggestions. Your parents will love it.

Per person?! That's insane! Will definitely book it myself then!! Will be google mapping hotel locations in relation to the port hahaha

Hi TimiR! Thanks for posting your ports. I will address them shortly. But first, you made a comment about going with your parents ~ I'm not sure if you were serious or half-hearted. However, I will tell you, as a mother of two 30-something sons, that your gift of a cruise will be greatly appreciated. But the gift of togetherness is priceless. You know your parents best and can determine if they would prefer alone time. But, IMHO, don't discount joining them for this remarkable itinerary.

I agree with others ~ book your own hotel, air too. Plan to arrive a day or two

early. Copenhagen is a great walking city. We enjoyed a tour of Christiansborg Palace, a canal ride, Tivoli Garden at night, and the Danish resistance Museum. We were less impressed with Rosenborg Castle.

In Wernamunde, we took the train to Rostock ~ very easy to do. After leisurely walking around to see the sights and have lunch, we took the boat back to Wernamunde. Ir was relaxing and offered a different perspective.

In Tallinn, we walked to the old town. We followed Rick Steves' walking tour and saw and learned much. Take the time to go into the museums. We had lunch at Balthezar, a garlic restaurant. This was one of our favorite ports.

In St. Petersburg we used Insider Tours. Not as well known as Alla, SPB or Denrus, we found them very efficient, with a quick return on emails. Our two-day tours were tailor-made to our specifications and our driver was safe and competent; our guide, knowledgeable and personable. It was like traveling with friends. Helsinki was a pleasant surprise. Visit Senate Square and the

Impressive Temppeliaukio Church, built into rock. Allow at least two days in Stockholm if possible. We took the public ferry to Djurgarden Island and went to the Vasa Museum. From there, still on the same island, we visited the Nordic Museum. Also visit the City Hall, home to the Nobel Prize banquet each year.

As stated earlier, the Rick Steves Scandinavia guidebook was invaluable.

Enjoy planning for this cruise.

Harriet

I was slightly serious about going with them. Planning all this stuff is giving me cruise envy! But....I do want to give them alone time and I doubt that I will be able to go around this time. SO and I will definitely have to do this some time soon!! Looks like I'll be getting Rick Steves guidebooks, they sound highly informative. I should probably make a note of all the suggestions here, they all seem to be worth seeing/doing.

You may want to check the Ports of Call on Cruise Critic. It will give lots of practical recommendations on sights and guides.

In addition to the recommendations that Cruisecountess makes, be sure to catch the sail in to Stockholm--absolutely gorgeous scenery. Our guide in Stockholm told us about a unique experience. You can have your own Nobel Prize dinner--same menu, same china and crystal, etc. Unfortunately, they were already booked for the days we were there. It is not inexpensive, but what a unique experience.

Also, for one night in St. Petersburg, you may want to consider the Folkloric Show, our guide there secured the tickets for us. Lots of costumes, dancing, and music--very entertaining!

This was one of our favorite cruises. St. Petersburg was a highlight. The sheer extravagance of the palaces is overwhelming.

There's a ports of call subforum? Ooooo! And Nobel Prize dinners?! Too cool!

Hi we are sailing to the Baltics in abut 7 weeks and are hitting all the ports on your list. I found if you go to alla-tours.com and register with them they have a 4city tour package that covers all on your list and their pricing is very resonabke. We are using them in stovkholm,helsinki, St Petersburg and Tallinn. We elected to do the Germany stop on our own but Alla has tours there as well. We had our first cruise to Alaska because our wonderful daughter sent us and will never forget the trip or her generosity.

Bill

Please let me know how you like it!!!

I agree strongly with the posts that advise private tours in St. Petersburg. You will see more, be more comfortable, set your own agenda, go to the head of the line at all sights and it will wind up costing less than if you tried to see the same things through the ship. Alla, Red October and Denrus are three of the best companies.

Also agree to book your own hotels. Let your TA do this for you. You will save a bundle.

Have a great cruise.

Now I'm just trying to decide whether they'd enjoy St Petersburg with a small group or on their own. Decisions decisions lol. My head is swimming with information!

TimiR-

I don't know if there are little kids in your family that your folks would enjoy buying books for while they are in the Baltic but I thought I'd pass on what I bought.

When we went our little one was under 5 but I bought books that I knew she'd eventually like so we got Boo & Baa books (adventures of 2 little sheep that are hysterical!), Pippi Longstockings, and Hans Christian Anderson. Most can be found in paperback so that the weight of the books shouldn't prove to be onerous. (If they were going to Norway, I'd add 3 Billy Goats Gruff or other troll books!)

He then took a pix of me holding the book outside of the bookstore where we bought it and put the pix inside the book plus an appropriate inscription!

Got nesting dolls in St P but also got nesting Santas! Santas and Dala horse, and a couple of other little things make for a cute little display at Christmas and I enjoy seeing them and remembering where I bought them.

Alla Tours was great because we were taken to stores where Russians had made the dolls and other crafts, not made somewhere in Asia. Several also asked to be taken for Russian vodka supplies!

Archived