Travel Guard Insurance

Nana57

Purchased Travel Guard Insurance, Choice Plus, from my Travel Agent. How would one cancel their trip if they are not up to going? Do you need a note from a Doctor if you have a cold or virus? Or can you just cancel without any explanation.

There are a multitude of "Covered Reasons". That information would be in your policy and Yes, there would be required documentation.

Unless this policy has a "Cancel For Any Reason" rider, I'm not aware of any policy that covers "I don't feel like going anymore"

This cold or virus would have to be documented as such as the doctor would have to state that you were so sick that they are officially advising you not to travel. Even then, it might not be covered. The insurance company could look at your medical records and if their physicians deemed that you could have traveled, then your claim could still be denied. Now, you're in the appeal game.

When we had to cancel because of a sudden medical condition, the doctor had to fill out a form and that was submitted to the travel insurance company. Had no problem getting refund. I would, however, suggest calling and finding out first hand what is required.

You'll absolutely need documentation from a doctor. And as earlier mentioned, whatever illness you have has to be serious enough to cause the doctor to recommend you cancel your trip. The claim for the insurance company will provide you will explicitly request the doctor to state this.

Unless you have some sort of complicating condition, I don't think most doctors will advise you to stay home simply because you have a cold.

Archived