Alert for Cruisers driving to Bayonne:

Heard on the NJ radio station that repairwork is going to begin in a few days on 3 bridges linking NJ to Staten Island (Goethals and Bayonne Bridge being 2 of them) so that bigger ships can easily come into the area. Everything is NOT going to be shut down and it is going to be in phases one by one, but the traffic due to that will be a nightmare!

Anyone using the bridges and connectors should keep that in mind when planning to drive to Bayonne. I don't think it will begin on Bayonne bridge first, but just alerting everyone so they can plan their ride to port. I heard this messge from the NJ NY Port Authorities several times on the local NJ station 101.5.

Is the Bayonne Bridge what someone would normally use to travel from EWR to Cape Liberty?

No - the Bayonne Bridge connects Staten Island to Bayonne, NJ and you do not need to go over the Bayonne bridge to get to the port.

I blieve it is the Newark Bay Bridge that you are probably referring to that takes you on Rt. 78 to the port.

Note: if someone coming from Staten Island were coming to the port, it would make the trip a bit longer.

Edited to add:If I was coming from JFK, I would probably go through Staten Island over the Bayone bridge to the port. If driving, you would either have to go through Manhattan and take the Holland tunnel into Jersey, or through all of Staten Island and take the Goethals bridge over to NY (and hopefully the Bayonne Bridge and the Goethals are not out of service at the same time).

No - the Bayonne Bridge connects Staten Island to Bayonne, NJ and you do not need to go over the Bayonne bridge to get to the port.

I blieve it is the Newark Bay Bridge that you are probably referring to that takes you on Rt. 78 to the port.

Note: if someone coming from Staten Island were coming to the port, it would make the trip a bit longer.

Edited to add:If I was coming from JFK, I would probably go through Staten Island over the Bayone bridge to the port. If driving, you would either have to go through Manhattan and take the Holland tunnel into Jersey, or through all of Staten Island and take the Goethals bridge over to NY (and hopefully the Bayonne Bridge and the Goethals are not out of service at the same time).

Thanks for the info. So it does not look like the Newark Bay bridge is going to be affected by the construction.

Thanks for the info. So it does not look like the Newark Bay bridge is going to be affected by the construction.

The Newark Bay bridge has been under constant construction for deck replacement since May 2010. It is supposed to end in July of 2013. Not sure of its schedule since I don't live there. It was crazy last December when I went over it. http://www.ferreiraconstruction.com/projects/transportation/newark-bay-bridge

Mike

The Newark Bay bridge has been under constant construction for deck replacement since May 2010. It is supposed to end in July of 2013. Not sure of its schedule since I don't live there. It was crazy last December when I went over it. http://www.ferreiraconstruction.com/projects/transportation/newark-bay-bridge

Mike

It was jammed last April too when we were trying to get to the port from Elizabeth. The driver took some other bridge.

Travel R, thanks for posting that.

Bob, I have no clue (to your first question.):eek: I do go over a bridge from the NJ turnpike to go to Bayonne.....the bridge is where I get the very first glimpse of the top of the Explorer.....but I don't know the name of that bridge.

Archived