Saint Martin Highlights (For a self explorer)

srvdmy4usn

Myself and a group of 7 others will be on the Allure this September and making a stop in St. Martin.

Because of the size of our group Taxis are very expensive if you plan on making more than one stop. None of us really care for bus tours so, we have decided to rent a van and check out the Island for ourselves.

The top of our list is Maho Beach to watch the planes, and another spot we would like to hit is the Sarafina's bakery. Are there any other highlights of the island that we should check out while we are there?

For anyone who may have interest in renting a car/van, check out http://hertz.sxmrentacar.com/philipsburg as they offer cars for cheaper than what you would spend on taxis, depending on the size of the group. I have also heard there are several other options near the pier.

Myself and a group of 7 others will be on the Allure this September and making a stop in St. Martin.

Because of the size of our group Taxis are very expensive if you plan on making more than one stop. None of us really care for bus tours so, we have decided to rent a van and check out the Island for ourselves.

The top of our list is Maho Beach to watch the planes, and another spot we would like to hit is the Sarafina's bakery. Are there any other highlights of the island that we should check out while we are there?

For anyone who may have interest in renting a car/van, check out http://hertz.sxmrentacar.com/philipsburg as they offer cars for cheaper than what you would spend on taxis, depending on the size of the group. I have also heard there are several other options near the pier.

I would suggest that you plan an on a counterclockwise tour of the island. From the cruise terminal head west through Phillipsburg to the airport so you can hang out on Maho beach, get sand blown in your eyes and breathe jet exhaust to your hearts content, then continue up the west side to Marigot, hit Serafina's and, if you have the energy, climb up to Fort. St. Louis for an awesome view, then continue up to Grand Case for lunch at one of the dozens of pretty good restaurants. After lunch, proceed to Orient beach on the north shore, or go a bit farther to Le Galion for a less commercialized and better beach. Finally head south on the east side of the island back to Phillipsburg for a bit of shopping before returning to the ship. If you go the other way around, you will find yourself in hideous afternoon traffic all the way from the airport to the pier, and possibly hung up even longer by an open drawbridge.

If you go the other way around, you will find yourself in hideous afternoon traffic all the way from the airport to the pier, and possibly hung up even longer by an open drawbridge.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will start looking into all of those.

How tough is the hike? Most of the people in the group are avid hikers/backpackers so I am sure that will not be a problem, but we do have a couple kids in the group.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will start looking into all of those.

How tough is the hike? Most of the people in the group are avid hikers/backpackers so I am sure that will not be a problem, but we do have a couple kids in the group.

Unless the kids are very little, they are likely to have an easier time going up to the fort than adults - it's not that vigorous, but in the hot sun it can drain your energy. The kids, come to think of it would have a better time at the Le Galion beach than Orient -- no nudes and calmer water due to reef across mouth of bay. (Of course, the adults in you group might find the view at Orient more interesting.)

I have done some more research, and I am going to pretty much take your advise on the whole thing.

Here is what we are going to try and accomplish for the day

- Maho Beach

- Sarafina’s

- Fort St. Louis

- La Casa Del Habano - Gotta get me some cubans :)

- Grand Case - Beach located behind Le Ti Provencal restaurant

- The Butterfly Farm

- Le Galion Beach

- Phillipsburg (Front & Back Street) for shopping

Your day may be a bit full. It appears that you are in port 7:00 - 16:00, so all-on-board would probably be 15:30.

I did a timeline, using VERY optimistic times for drive and park estimates, and this is what I see for your plan.

th_timeline.jpg

(click)

Even though the top of your list is Maho Beach to watch the planes, I can only give you 30 minutes there, from 8:00 - 8:30.

If you had been there today during that timeframe, you might have seen two Winair De Havilland (Bombardier)DHC-6 Twin Otters.

gary

p.s. I uploaded the spreadsheet to Google Docs as public if you have a hard time seeing the above.

Your day may be a bit full. It appears that you are in port 7:00 - 16:00, so all-on-board would probably be 15:30.

I did a timeline, using VERY optimistic times for drive and park estimates, and this is what I see for your plan.

WOW! You went all out! Thanks for your help on that. Just to clarify a little more. I am a planner, but I am also pretty free flowing when on vacation. If we miss a stop here or there because we are enjoying another place then that is fine with me!

We are actually in port from 8am-5pm, but close enough to what you had mentioned. I think the largest priorities are Maho Beach, Sarafinas, and the Butterfly Farm. Since they are somewhat strategically placed around the island we are going to try and make a few stops along the way, but some may not happen.

Even more so, I think Maho beach will consume the majority of our time as we will do our best to stick around and see a few of the larger planes. We may even modify our schedule slightly to accommodate that. Once we get closer I will be checking in on the flight schedules.

Thanks again for your thoughts! I will be sure to report back with how it all works out.

I got your ship visit time from the official Port of St. Maarten website.

I tried to make the spreadsheet public, so you could edit it and insert 0 minutes if you want to skip a spot.

Have fun exploring the island.

gary

Edit to add, you realize that most of the flights arriving before 11:00 or so are only island puddle jumpers? Check the schedule on Joyce Prince's website to watch what is actually happening at the airport.

We are group of 5 or possible 8. Our ship is in 8am-5pm. Maho is top on our list also. I am looking for something to do for a short time before and/or after Maho. Want to be there early afternoon for the larger planes (for a couple hours?). Was planning on using taxi. Was just thinking about a beach, but that hike sounds good too. What would you suggest?

Have been researching Maho here an this is the best info. Thanks. Lisa:)

We are group of 5 or possible 8. Our ship is in 8am-5pm. Maho is top on our list also. I am looking for something to do for a short time before and/or after Maho. Want to be there early afternoon for the larger planes (for a couple hours?). Was planning on using taxi. Was just thinking about a beach, but that hike sounds good too. What would you suggest?

Have been researching Maho here an this is the best info. Thanks. Lisa:)

Is the hike that sounds good the climb up to Fort Louis? That, of course, would require a visit to Marigot.

For something to fill your time before Maho you could certainly consider Mullet Bay Beach, then just walk back over through the Maho Shopping Complex to Maho Beach.

It really depends on what you're looking for.

Taxis could do it, but with a group of 5 or 8, you might consider a private tour with Joyce Prince.

gary

Archived