Saturday morning in Athens

asmody

We sail on August 17th, and arrive day before from New York, via Heathrow. We're staying at the Athens Hilton, and want to vist the Acropolis in the morning before we go to the ship, around 2pm. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can maximize our morning outing, and what to see....we might still be a little tired from the overnight JFK flight and connection, but we want to take advantage of our brief stay in Athens. I've read that the newish museum is a must see?:)

The new museum is supposed to be fabulous. It's probably a good idea to concentrate on one thing rather than try to do too much with the limited time and the jet lag. We didn't visit the new museum last time because we had been to Acropolis before (also before museum) and wanted to go to the Archeological museum, which is also fabulous. You might want to check on what other ships will be in port to gauge the crowds that might be on Acropolis. And I'm not sure what that museum offers as far as tours but at the Archeological museum we hired a guide through the museum and it was worth every penny. She was wonderful. Leave plenty of time to get to the ship. Athens traffic is terrible.

A morning at the Acropolis will likely be tiring. It's a lotta walking uphill and back down from the nearest vehicle drop off point.

The crowds in August could be large and it's hot that time of year in Athens.

The Acropolis is not to be missed.

When we did the Acropolis the first time, we sorely needed a cold drink at the area where the buses congregate. We had close friends who live in Athens who gave us the nickel tour and knew their way round, thus avoiding some of the lines (as well as the entry charge which locals seem to know how to avoid). And that was during off-season.

It will take a full morning to just take in the Acropolis without seeing the museum in our opinion.

Athens Hilton is a good choice.

Beware of Athens taxi drivers. We suggest e-mailing the Hilton concierge who will arrange a legit driver for airport pick-up, to Acropolis, to Piraeus, etc. The few 'xtra Euros charged for an arranged taxi is better than one bad experience being ripped off which happens in Athens a lot.

Enjoy and safe sailings...

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

I suggest you book a private driver/guide to minimize effort and stress. You could even have him pick you up at the Hilton, take you to the Acropolis while storing your luggage in the trunk, and then drive you to Piraeus.

It will be hot so just do yourselves a favor and get there early. That way you can beat the worst of the crowds and the heat. But do not let the warning about warning put you off -- if you are are in decent shape it is not that much walking. ( To some people half a mile is a long walk).Besides, I always find that a good walk invigorates me the day after a long flight. Best of all later that afternoon you will have plenty of time to relax once on board the ship with the cool beverage of your choosing.!

We used Vassilis Vassalos at Athens Tours to take us from the ship to the airport. He charged 55 Euros (which is reasonable given the distance) and was waiting for us when we disembarked. We were very happy with the service.

Check athenstours dot gr if that is of interest.

We have used George the amazing Greek Taxi Driver several time in Athens. He (and his sons who now help him in the business) are honest, articulate, know their way around, non-smokers, polite, charming and ... I could go on! Check the website - and it's not BS. It's all true - or was last time we were there about 18 months ago. http://www.greecetravel.com/taxi/

• 1 month later...

Archived