Ridiculous price for excursions!

OK $62 for a 35 minute ride to the beach, chairs,etc, lunch and a ride back. Plus you know its safe, you will be returned to the ship on time and all you have to do is click a button to purchase and that's HUGE sticker shock?

Yes, it was to me, since the last time we were in Roatan, it was $28. Of course, that was back in 2000. After much thought, we will most likely go ahead and do the excursion through the ship again. :)

It's been quite a few years since we've bought any excursions while on a cruise so when I started searching for my upcoming one on the Navigator, I experienced a HUGE case of sticker shock! Almost $200 for 3 adults to spend 5 hours on a beach? Am I crazy or does anyone else feel this way? :(

Don't forget that everything has gone up in cost significantly in all areas of life so in "quite a few years" that would include all aspects of travel costs also.

Excursions (private or through the cruise ship) can often amount to more than the price of the cruise. We find them an important addition to cruise travel, especially outside of the Caribbean.

Many are not comfortable booking independently and some excursions are only offered through the ship. As noted, booking with the ship is a “one stop” purchase and you will be transported by a company with an association to the cruise line so that your on-time return is guaranteed. This alone is a selling point for many. Some excursions take you 90 minute away from the from the port so the transportation issue is a big one.

We do mostly private excursions but they require much more investigation and work in coordinating a company, checking them out, making deposits, purchasing non included tickets to museums, having local currency for payments etc. We recently visited 9 cities on a 12 night European cruise and used private excursion companies for six of the cities. The other three were easy to maneuver without any formal excursion.

The ports of call boards on CC are a valuable source of information for either ship excursions, private excursions or how do see a place on your own.

good luck

M

Archived