NCL Star to Mexican Riviera

kcbmarek

Has anyone done this cruise? We cruised on the Star through the Inside Passage of Alaska and loved it. Considering doing the Mexican Riviera the week after Thanksgiving 2014. Any insight would be awesome!:D

We did that cruise just before it was cancelled. I'm glad to see it is back again. And I'm glad to see Mazatlan is included again. The three ports do not really offer a great deal of unusual activity, but all are a nice tourist stop. In Mazatlan, we took a city tour that included a lunch stop. At the lunch stop we had the biggest and best shrimp I'm ever had or seen. This never happens to me, but I literally could not finish the last shrimp and had to offer it to another diner.

Has anyone done this cruise? We cruised on the Star through the Inside Passage of Alaska and loved it. Considering doing the Mexican Riviera the week after Thanksgiving 2014. Any insight would be awesome!:D

We done this cruise several times on the Star and also sailed on the final cruise before it was cancelled. Enjoyed all the ports. The Star is one of my favorite ships.:)

Thank you everyone! This is a cruise we have wanted to do for so long and were originally going to do it back in July 2009 on the Splendor but the swine flu broke out and we ended up taking all 3 of our teenagers to Maui instead. Now that we are empty nesters, it is time to go for it.

Any recommendations on what to do at each port?

You can go to the ports of call site and probably get more ideas. However, Cabo has developed their marina into a very modern area. There are many fun in the sun, beach related type of activities and tours you can take. It's a water recreation port primarily. You can also walk out of the marina area into downtown Cabo. There are many restaurants and shops there. It's just right out of the marina.

For Mazatlan, if it's still the same, you will dock in a very industrial area, cargo containers and such. It is in an enclosed security area. As mentioned, we just took a city tour. There are numerous ones waiting for you right off the dock. Mazatlan is an industrial city and looks it. The people were all very nice, but busy and hustling. We did go to the downtown market as a tour stop. It is truly there to serve the city population and is not a typical tourist shopping area. We also went further out to the Gold Coast shopping area (where we had the super shrimp). We also did the usual jewelry shop stops with the usual free margaritas.

For PV, it is a busy city with the main blvd running right outside the dock area. In fact, there is a Wal mart and Sams right across the street from the docking area. If you just want to go into the old town of PV, the city bus runs constantly both ways for cheap. Our first time there, we took a city tour that just drives all over PV with a quick stop in the old town area. It also drove further south to the outskirts of development . There is major condo development in that area being built and occupied by US, Aussies, Germans, etc. We did do a quick stop at a tequila "factory" where tequila is explained and bottles sold. Also, sampling. I did discover that there is such a thing as good tequila. I now am a tequila fan owning many bottles. I can thank PV for that. You can buy tequila cheapest over at the Wal Mart.

We are cruising on the Star Dec 2014 and can not wait. Love all the ports, love the Star, and love the West Coast.

Last time in PV, had the best massage , just out of the terminal. $20.00 one hour plus tip. Yes, I did bargain but tipped really well. Loved taking the water taxi's in Cabo to the bar/restaurant of choice.

WE did this several years ago- so glad they are bringing back a cruise from the West Coast!! Will be talking to

friends soon to try to get a trip planned Nov 2015. the Ports Of Call give you an assortment of Mexico towns, each a little different. We sure enjoyed Hope you do so

We have done the Mex. Riv. cruise on the Star twice and would do it again in a heartbeat. We love the Star (although not as much since they moved the Spinnaker Lounge :() and it has always been one of our favorite ships. The tiered pool area is awesome.

Archived