Flip flopping excursions

kandjrolls2

We are books on NCL pearl next May for Alaska. There are several excursions that are too expensive or have an age requirement that we want to do. Our daughter will be three, almost 4. I think, correct me if I am wrong, the Pearl's kids club closes in port. So, I was thinking about flip flopping some excursions. Like I would do the helicopter ride by myself then my husband while the other stayed with the child. Has anyone else tried this? Obviously, it is not as romantic as doing it together. But I am not going to spend $$$ on excursions that she would not appreciate it.

And we still don't do all the same stuff together. Many times we have hit a port and gone separate ways due to interests. If it's got flowers she wants to see it because she is an avid gardner. The only thing I do in the summer that starts with G ends in F. No reason not to each do something you enjoy.

And we still don't do all the same stuff together. Many times we have hit a port and gone separate ways due to interests. If it's got flowers she wants to see it because she is an avid gardner. The only thing I do in the summer that starts with G ends in F. No reason not to each do something you enjoy.

I totally concur. I don't do helicopters or tiny planes (DH points out that I will go on small boats - I tell him I can swim but can't fly). He goes on those excursions while I enjoy a book by the pool or a little shopping and we discuss his adventures later. All is good.

According to NCL, here are their hours for the Splash Academy (which your child can attend if he or she is at least 3 years of age)

Splash Academy Sea Day Hours of Operation as of 5/16/13

Morning: 9:00am – 12:00pm*

Afternoon: 2:00pm – 5:00pm*

Evening: 7:00pm – 10:30pm**

*Center closes at 12:00pm and 5:00pm. Children need to be picked up at these times.

**Splash Academy ends at 1030pm nightly. Fifteen minute transition time offered before Late Night Fun Zone charges apply.

Splash Academy Port Day* Hours of Operation

Arrival into Port to 10:30pm

There is a whole separate thread on whether or not you should leave your children behind while you take part in excursions in port. Having done the Alaska cruise a few years ago, I can assure you that most of the cruise tours (with the exception of the White Pass train) are very close to the port, and it is highly unlikely that you would miss the boat.

Alaskan excursions can get very expensive very quickly, and they are ideal for independent bookers since they are usually very close to the port. You mentioned helicopters. 4 years ago, Temsco was the provider for helicopter rides through the cruise lines, and my family was able to save a lot of money by booking directly with them.

Archived