Smoking in cabins on balconies, irrespective of cruise line.

Brian Raine

Am I the only one who gets teed off about passengers puffing away on their balconies adjacent to mine! On our recent trip to the NorthCape on the QE we had a neighbour who regularly popped out for a smoke generation exercise. As a consequence neither my wife or I could remain outside for more than a few seconds when he lit it. So buying a balcony cabin was a waste of financial resources, even if the weather was not all that brilliant, it is a principle of the thing.

I do not smoke my wife has breathing problems aggravated by obnoxious odours like cigarette smoke and some perfumes. Even our cabin steward confessed that they smoked in the stateroom, the odours made it difficult for him to do his job. Surely there is a simple answer to this problem, put all smokers in an area of the ship to themselves near the stern or better still ban smoking all to together on cruises. I know this will raise a lot of smokers hackles but I prefer to die breathing relatively clean air NOT someone else's second hand fumes.

I await the back lash.

I know what you mean as I too have been on a cruise where I could not use my balcony. I hate the smell of cigarettes! I too have allergies.

However, we have only to watch old movies and remember what it used to be like and how far we have come. Remember when you went to the movies and people around you smoked? Remember people who smoked in the workplace? Remember those who lit up in a restaurant while you were still eating dinner? Remember the smoking in aeroplanes? While I would happily live in a smoke-free world, it's not going to happen. We have pushed them out of most areas; they have to have a few niches.

My fear is that it will become harder to police the existing rules as Cunard encourages more Europeans onto their ships. Different cultures have different rules about where you can smoke.

I think since the smoking ban was introduced in the UK a lot of people have become hyper-sensitive to smoke, and with your assertion : "As a consequence neither my wife or I could remain outside for more than a few seconds when he lit it" I would put you into that group.

If you believe that someone smoking on the next balcony, in the middle of the ocean, on a moving ship, were producing so much smoke that you could not remain outside then I do wonder how you ever managed in the UK before smoking was allowed in pubs and restaurants ?

And you final comment is very typical of the anti-smoking lobby; you wont truly be happy until smoking is made illegal and cigarettes are no longer sold.

I think since the smoking ban was introduced in the UK a lot of people have become hyper-sensitive to smoke, and with your assertion : "As a consequence neither my wife or I could remain outside for more than a few seconds when he lit it" I would put you into that group.

If you believe that someone smoking on the next balcony, in the middle of the ocean, on a moving ship, were producing so much smoke that you could not remain outside then I do wonder how you ever managed in the UK before smoking was allowed in pubs and restaurants ?

And you final comment is very typical of the anti-smoking lobby; you wont truly be happy until smoking is made illegal and cigarettes are no longer sold.

Well, exactly! Toad, isn't it possible that many were/are tolerating second hand smoke in various venues because it was/is legal We noticed it before it became illegal; we simply had no recourse.

Both my parents chain-smoked. I loved them dearly, but hated being around their smoke 24/7. I was a kid. What was I going to do: demand they stop or I'd run away from home?

I purchase cruise tickets accepting the fact that on many lines, adjacent balcony passengers have every right to smoke. That doesn't mean I have to like it, any more than some passengers would prefer not to have loud music or something else invasive disturb their balcony. Look, I have plenty of vices, but I prefer to make those choices myself, rather than having them imposed on me by neighbors. Please don't take it for granted that because we are on an ocean, the smoke floats harmlessly by. It may not bother you, but it bothers others.

Don't worry; sooner or later, smoking will be banned or more severely restricted. It's not if, but when.

A smoking thread...how nice, how novel:rolleyes:

Well, please start a novel thread. Because so few of us look at the latest posting and just respond, instead of waiting for something unique.

Please, show us how much more interesting you are than the rest of us.

It is too bad you didn't consider the smoking policy of Cunard before you booked and paid for your cruise. But, as the old saying goes "Too soon old, too late smart":)

Many cruise lines restrict balcony smoking, and you might consider Princess, Celebrity, Azamara, Oceania to name but a few.

Complaining on a public cruise forum such as Cruise Critic of the smoking policy of Cunard will IMHO do you no good what so ever, they are only interested in how their policies affect their bottom line.

Booking your next cruise with a line that restricts smoking will do far more to change Cunards policy as it will impact their bottom line.

Am I the only one who gets teed off about passengers puffing away on their balconies adjacent to mine! On our recent trip to the NorthCape on the QE we had a neighbour who regularly popped out for a smoke generation exercise. As a consequence neither my wife or I could remain outside for more than a few seconds when he lit it. So buying a balcony cabin was a waste of financial resources, even if the weather was not all that brilliant, it is a principle of the thing.

I do not smoke my wife has breathing problems aggravated by obnoxious odours like cigarette smoke and some perfumes. Even our cabin steward confessed that they smoked in the stateroom, the odours made it difficult for him to do his job. Surely there is a simple answer to this problem, put all smokers in an area of the ship to themselves near the stern or better still ban smoking all to together on cruises. I know this will raise a lot of smokers hackles but I prefer to die breathing relatively clean air NOT someone else's second hand fumes.

I await the back lash.

It is too bad you didn't consider the smoking policy of Cunard before you booked and paid for your cruise. But, as the old saying goes "Too soon old, too late smart":)

Many cruise lines restrict balcony smoking, and you might consider Princess, Celebrity, Azamara, Oceania to name but a few.

Complaining on a public cruise forum such as Cruise Critic of the smoking policy of Cunard will IMHO do you no good what so ever, they are only interested in how their policies affect their bottom line.

Booking your next cruise with a line that restricts smoking will do far more to change Cunards policy as it will impact their bottom line.

A quick glance at most of the threads on this forum suggests those who post have an interest or complaint regarding current Cunard policy. I don't think the OP was surprised by the smoking policy; just complaining. That is allowed, just as complaining about declining level of formal dress, service, clotted cream, etc is common. Of course they could have booked a non-smoking ship; they chose not to because they like Cunard.

As a variation on people complaining about smokers smoking on neighbouring balconies, I would like to complain about the non-smokers who complained about me smoking on my balcony.

I wasn't doing anything wrong, smoking is allowed on balconies and I didn't appreciate the rumours they spread that I was smoking in my stateroom - which I wasn't.

Well, "just complaining" on this Forum isn't going to do one much good now is it?

If one does not support the policies of a business, such as smoking allowed on balconies, then the rational thing to do is to take ones custom to

a business that has policies with which one is in agreement.

IMHO Cunard allows smoking on balconies because it improves their bottom line. The way to change the policy is to impact their bottom line.

The method to accomplish this is to move one's business to a cruise line that restricts smoking to the customers satisfaction.

As a variation on people complaining about smokers smoking on neighbouring balconies, I would like to complain about the non-smokers who complained about me smoking on my balcony.

I wasn't doing anything wrong, smoking is allowed on balconies and I didn't appreciate the rumours they spread that I was smoking in my stateroom - which I wasn't.[/quote]

I am in complete agreement with you. Those who choose to sail on ships with smoking policies should recognize and accept those policies. Spreading false rumors about smoking in your stateroom is just plain wrong.

And I will preface the following by saying I have many friends who are smokers: I still reserve the right to complain about having to breathe second hand smoke from my neighbor's balcony. I understand it is his/her right to produce that smoke. I also feel anyone should be able to smoke 10 packs of cigs/day in their own house if they so choose. I just don't want to be subjected to their habit, which is now the case on many ships. I disagree with the policy. I don't have a problem with those who are exercising their legal right to smoke on their balconies. I hope that clears things up.

Well, "just complaining" on this Forum isn't going to do one much good now is it?

If one does not support the policies of a business, such as smoking allowed on balconies, then the rational thing to do is to take ones custom to

a business that has policies with which one is in agreement.

IMHO Cunard allows smoking on balconies because it improves their bottom line. The way to change the policy is to impact their bottom line.

The method to accomplish this is to move one's business to a cruise line that restricts smoking to the customers satisfaction.

Oh, I don't know. Many posters on this forum complain about something- Cunard decides whether or not the complaining will do any good or not.

Many studies show that when smoking is banned, smokers take their custom elsewhere, and non-smokers join. I have no idea whether the bottom line favors smoking or not. I just don't want to breathe others' smoke. I reserve my right to complain about it, as others on this forum comlpain about the multitude of behaviors they find objectionable.

That doesn't mean I am going to behave in an uncivilized manner to balcony neighbors who are exercising their legal right to smoke. I just won't like it-and I'll complain to Cunard and on this forum if I see fit.

I wasn't doing anything wrong, smoking is allowed on balconies and I didn't appreciate the rumours they spread that I was smoking in my stateroom - which I wasn't.

How does that famous quote go? "I don't care what people smoke, as long as they don't do it on their balcony and frighten the porpoises". Somehow, I think that's wrong....

No problem, you just go right on complaining about people smoking on balconies on Cunard. Let us know how that turns out for you.

Ok. If I get a chance I will. I'll let you know how it's turned out in general, since, oh, say, the 80's, where everyone could smoke anywhere. Have you seen some changes since then? Do you think balconies on cruise ships are somehow exempt? You think you're going to be smoking on balconies in a few years?

Let us know how that turns out for you.

:D, You, Whitemarsh, crack me up! :D:D

best regards from a non-smoker,

seasidegal

But do they all enforce it ? Princess certainly do not ! We travelled on the Crown Princess in a cabin that was next to the worst passengers we ever came across, they not only smoked tobacco but the smell of their smoke indicated that their cigarettes contained an illegal substance. They also played guitar at all hours of the day and night. Princess's response to all complaints from ourselves and passengers in the other nearby rooms was that it is difficult to enforce the rules and that they had asked these particular passengers to modify their behaviour but had been told that they had paid for the room and would do as they liked in their room and balcony.

But do they all enforce it ? Princess certainly do not ! We travelled on the Crown Princess in a cabin that was next to the worst passengers we ever came across, they not only smoked tobacco but the smell of their smoke indicated that their cigarettes contained an illegal substance. They also played guitar at all hours of the day and night. Princess's response to all complaints from ourselves and passengers in the other nearby rooms was that it is difficult to enforce the rules and that they had asked these particular passengers to modify their behaviour but had been told that they had paid for the room and would do as they liked in their room and balcony.

Wow! All I can say is, if smell's the problem, you certainly don't want to be in the next cabin to me when I put my spare pair of socks out to air on the balcony. And you might find my tin whistle playing a little intrusive as well! :eek:

J

Wow! All I can say is, if smell's the problem, you certainly don't want to be in the next cabin to me when I put my spare pair of socks out to air on the balcony. And you might find my tin whistle playing a little intrusive as well! :eek:

J

That was your tin whistle? Gees, I thought you had a really bad sinus condition. :eek:

That was your tin whistle? Gees, I thought you had a really bad sinus condition. :eek:

I once submitted a job application in which I wrote, under the section "Hobbies and interests" - "play the accordion and whistle". It was only after I sent it that I realised that that probably conveyed a somewhat strange image of my musical activities :D

Oh - and you should hear my singing :eek:

J

I've just returned from the south of France, where the rules on smoking outside are fairly simple - if you don't like it find another country :D

Witnessed a couple of groups of people (can't really avoid saying it, they were American) protesting about people lighting up around them in cafes. Oh my... not a good thing to try in France :eek:

Fact is, if you go into something so clearly (and it has never been a secret that Cunard allows smoking on balconies) then that is the way it is. By all means complain to Cunard, but I've got little sympathy for the issue in the meantime.

Oh, and if a cabin steward is discussing another passenger with with any other passengers they should be sacked on the spot - that is about as unprofessional as it gets

[/color]

Ok. If I get a chance I will. I'll let you know how it's turned out in general, since, oh, say, the 80's, where everyone could smoke anywhere. Have you seen some changes since then? Do you think balconies on cruise ships are somehow exempt? You think you're going to be smoking on balconies in a few years?

Let us know how that turns out for you.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this, but from what I have read, the over whelming majority of accidents, crimes, deaths, etc, that occur on cruise ships are a result of passengers -at one recently infamous captain - drinking too much alcohol.

Do you think booze consumption should be further restricted, or outlawed completely?

I've just returned from the south of France, where the rules on smoking outside are fairly simple - if you don't like it find another country :D

Witnessed a couple of groups of people (can't really avoid saying it, they were American) protesting about people lighting up around them in cafes. Oh my... not a good thing to try in France :eek:

Fact is, if you go into something so clearly (and it has never been a secret that Cunard allows smoking on balconies) then that is the way it is. By all means complain to Cunard, but I've got little sympathy for the issue in the meantime.

Oh, and if a cabin steward is discussing another passenger with with any other passengers they should be sacked on the spot - that is about as unprofessional as it gets

I agree. And just to add, I have never had a discussion with a cabin steward about any other passengers. On any cruise line I've experienced.

I once submitted a job application in which I wrote, under the section "Hobbies and interests" - "play the accordion and whistle". It was only after I sent it that I realised that that probably conveyed a somewhat strange image of my musical activities :D

Oh - and you should hear my singing :eek:

J

Ah. We could do a duet. On the balcony. My guess is that those on the adjoinging balconies will be calling for a ban on singing. (Even if your singing voice is grand, mine is gawd awful!) -S.

Archived