Smoking in cabins on balconies, irrespective of cruise line.

Brian Raine

Many studies show that when smoking is banned, smokers take their custom elsewhere, and non-smokers join.

Just before the UK smoking ban there were lots of studies/surveys that claimed people who would not go to the pub because because of smoking would return and trade would increase. And did that happen ? No, it did not. Smokers left the pubs and non-smokers did not return; i.e. trade fell even more.

The thing is, a lot of non-smokers say one thing and do the other.

I should also mention that I myself don't smoke and I'm also not a reformed smoker either - I have never smoked. However, if other people want to then that's their business; but society is far too busy poking it's nose into other people's business.

Ah. We could do a duet. On the balcony. My guess is that those on the adjoinging balconies will be calling for a ban on singing. (Even if your singing voice is grand, mine is gawd awful!) -S.

Mine is like a piece of gravel jammed under a cludgie* door. :D

J

* "Cludgie" - Scots word for a comfort station. Usually of the outdoor variety.

But do they all enforce it ? Princess certainly do not ! We travelled on the Crown Princess in a cabin that was next to the worst passengers we ever came across, they not only smoked tobacco but the smell of their smoke indicated that their cigarettes contained an illegal substance. They also played guitar at all hours of the day and night. Princess's response to all complaints from ourselves and passengers in the other nearby rooms was that it is difficult to enforce the rules and that they had asked these particular passengers to modify their behaviour but had been told that they had paid for the room and would do as they liked in their room and balcony.

That attitude, to me, is the same as the "it's our holiday, we will wear what we want" statement that is favoured by some in the anti dress-code camp.

Thin edge of the wedge people....

That attitude, to me, is the same as the "it's our holiday, we will wear what we want" statement that is favoured by some in the anti dress-code camp.

Thin edge of the wedge people....

So the answer is simply if you don't like dressing for dinner (not dressing up, that's what children do in nursery !) the don't go on Cunard. Equally, if you don't like people smoking on the next balcony, then don't go.

Myself, I do like dressing for dinner and I'm not that fussed about other people's smoking; hence I do cruise with Cunard.

So the answer is simply if you don't like dressing for dinner (not dressing up, that's what children do in nursery !) the don't go on Cunard. Equally, if you don't like people smoking on the next balcony, then don't go.

Myself, I do like dressing for dinner and I'm not that fussed about other people's smoking; hence I do cruise with Cunard.

Precisely, and it's why research and Cruise Critic are so important before booking a cruise. Spend your hard earned money on a cruise where you're likely to find like-minded people in an atmosphere you're likely to enjoy.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this, but from what I have read, the over whelming majority of accidents, crimes, deaths, etc, that occur on cruise ships are a result of passengers -at one recently infamous captain - drinking too much alcohol.

Do you think booze consumption should be further restricted, or outlawed completely?

No. Auto accidents are a leading cause of death, and I don't think cars should be outlawed either. However, I would have a problem with people spilling their alcohol on me, or forcing me to drink it, just as I prefer not to inhale someone else's smoke.

Just before the UK smoking ban there were lots of studies/surveys that claimed people who would not go to the pub because because of smoking would return and trade would increase. And did that happen ? No, it did not. Smokers left the pubs and non-smokers did not return; i.e. trade fell even more.

The thing is, a lot of non-smokers say one thing and do the other.

I should also mention that I myself don't smoke and I'm also not a reformed smoker either - I have never smoked. However, if other people want to then that's their business; but society is far too busy poking it's nose into other people's business.

If cigarettes did not produce smoke, this would be a non-issue. Unfortunately, smoking is a habit that "pokes its nose" into other people's business whether they like it or not.

The "Cunard: Love it or Leave it" theme is heavy on this forum. I book knowing that I will likely get the occasional snootful of smoke. I respect the rights of smokers to follow the rules of the ship, and if it bothered me that much, I wouldn't book. I understanding the current smoking policy, and respectfully disagree with it.

"I await the backlash" told you so!!!!!!.

Anyone can smoke if they want to, but swallow the smoke my objection is NOT INTO MY LUNGS. My father/3 brothers smoked , I was brought up in a smokers household, but I refrained from starting the habit. Iam now in my 70s so my lungs are my clean and I wish them to stay that way.

I have sailed with all of the major lines and some obscure ones, over 55 cruises, so I reserve the privilege to whinge about things I do not like., as Iam sure there is someone out there who whinges about me although why they would as "Iam lovely adorable and ever so cuddly"

We are looking at going on a Celebrity cruise in Sept so my wife's lungs and mine should be safe there.

"I await the backlash" told you so!!!!!!.

Anyone can smoke if they want to, but swallow the smoke my objection is NOT INTO MY LUNGS. My father/3 brothers smoked , I was brought up in a smokers household, but I refrained from starting the habit. Iam now in my 70s so my lungs are my clean and I wish them to stay that way.

I have sailed with all of the major lines and some obscure ones, over 55 cruises, so I reserve the privilege to whinge about things I do not like., as Iam sure there is someone out there who whinges about me although why they would as "Iam lovely adorable and ever so cuddly"

We are looking at going on a Celebrity cruise in Sept so my wife's lungs and mine should be safe there.

You haven't been posting for long on the Cunard board if you think this is a backlash. :)

Very wise choice, and always the best thing to do if one violently disagrees with a cruise line policy.

Hope you enjoy Celebrity.

Mary:)

Oh - and you should hear my singing :eek: J

Was that what it was?

I thought someone in your cabin was doing serious harm to a cat :eek: .

(I wondered about calling the RSPCA... but thought "it might be The Cat that is being tortured..." so I moved away from the 'phone... ;) ).

Do you hand out ear-plugs to those in the adjacent cabins, before stepping into the shower?

Best wishes. :) .

"but society is far too busy poking it's nose into other people's business."

True.

" However, if other people want to then that's their business;"

Also true, BUT not if their business hurt other people. If you can prove that there isn't such a thing as second hand smoking than the business will be exclusively theirs.

You haven't been posting for long on the Cunard board if you think this is a backlash.

You, Whitemarsh, have cracked me up again!:D

However, a 'backlash' on the Cunard forum is like a gentle breeze compared to

another forum on CC where you need to pretty much have the skin of a rhino to survive. :eek:

Brian Raine:

"I am lovely adorable and ever so cuddly"

You, then sir, have a lucky wife! :)

And you are correct, you can whine on this forum as without the whiners the thread count would go into a deep dive. :eek: We all at times are given to 'whining' ...a good whine can reduce stress as long as it doesn't become habitual as that would produce stress in others. :eek::D

I hope you have a wonderful clean-air cruise on Celebrity.

best regards,

seasidegal

You haven't been posting for long on the Cunard board if you think this is a backlash. :)

In that case, this thread won't last for long! ;)

I have noticed that it's the threads with the greatest backlashes that go to the largest page count. :rolleyes:

What does that say about all of us (and I include myself)? :p

Celebrity would be the cruise line of choice for the OP- my favorite cruise line by the way

( well in the past- however)- even after considering their strict smoking rules. Avoid the port side outdoor deck 5 - your lungs my suffer. I look foreward to my QM 2 cruise though, where they still allow smoking on your balcony. I am totaly aware of the possibilty of nasty behaviour from the non smokers when sit on my balcony puffing away and thanks to Whitmarsh warning I am also preparted when they accuse of violating the rules, which by the way I never would consider. ,

Greetings

Michael

You, Whitemarsh, have cracked me up again!:D

However, a 'backlash' on the Cunard forum is like a gentle breeze compared to

another forum on CC where you need to pretty much have the skin of a rhino to survive. :eek:

Brian Raine:

"I am lovely adorable and ever so cuddly"

You, then sir, have a lucky wife! :)

And you are correct, you can whine on this forum as without the whiners the thread count would go into a deep dive. :eek: We all at times are given to 'whining' ...a good whine can reduce stress as long as it doesn't become habitual as that would produce stress in others. :eek::D

I hope you have a wonderful clean-air cruise on Celebrity.

best regards,

seasidegal

Which forum is that? It sounds like a battlefield.

Old Melldrew has a lot to be sorry for we oldies get all of the stick for whining when the younger ones are just as bad. My observations tend to be made on experience of age and travel and I try to be constructive. Iam sure there are lots of passengers who would gripe about petty things, as we all do, but they have not found CC. The final "whinge ", is a housekeeping matter!

Having travelled on everything from a 200 passenger to 3500 passenger boats , I like to look at the thing s that are out of sight like the pipework on the balcony, davits on the prom deck I know the weather can paly havoc with paint but the sight of chunks of rust coming off staunchions or pipework is not a pretty sight. On this cruise the scuppers were always full of water, because of the rain, but the design fault meant that the water did not reach the drain hole , instead when the were full the flooded the balcony floor. Silly little things but when a cruise line trumpets its credentials to all and sundry, these are the little things that mean the difference between a 10/10 and 9/10 .

As it is Sunday I can now go and have a lay down suffering from exhaustion!!!!!! HA HA HA .

Final comment during our exit from Gerainger, nice weather, my wife and I looked down to the balconies on deck 4, which stick out from those above, to be greeted with a gentleman of advancing years endeavouring to get an ALL OVER TAN, not a pretty sight. I wonder I he reads CC then he will now know he was spotted by other passengers as well.

How wonderful that we once again have a smoking thread to get our teeth into, l am surprised it has lasted this long, albeit the op is now having a carp about housekeeping.

Will the whinging and whining ever stop? I very much doubt it.

Cunard do not appear to be getting anything right......so why do one and all on here still sail with the line.

So they still allow smoking on one's balcony......l as a smoker don't actually agree with this....far too dangerous, particularly on a transatlantic voyage.

I have seen smokers 'flick' their tab ends over the balcony and this makes me cringe.

Over the years many a folk who post or have in the past posted on here have had their say about smoking on board.....and have indeed filled out their feedback forms with great pride....and bragged about their input.

Brilliant stuff, but the same complainers apparently no longer sail with Cunard....they have moved on......music to my ears! The very thought of sailing with such idiots puts me off cruising for life with any line!

No cruise is perfect and as long as folk keep posting here with their gripes, trials and tribulations it will only result in the industry taking a nose dive...as it did in the 70's.

Nobody then acknowledged the beautiful QE2.... one magnificent liner....an icon of her time.....then all of a sudden when Cunard sold her off....all hell broke loose.

So going back to this smoking thread.....people smoke and always will......l for one do not wish to sail on a ship that is totally non smoking....so l choose very carefully which line l sail with. If Cunard allow smoking on the balconies then l am happy, but then l consider myself a very careful smoker and take my own ashtray with me, and would never ever flick my tab end into the sea......so while one and all continue to carp on about the effects of second hand smoke drifting across the balconies, maybe they should consider and think more so of the danger involved from those who don't give a damn where they deposit their fags!

Judy

How wonderful that we once again have a smoking thread to get our teeth into, l am surprised it has lasted this long, albeit the op is now having a carp about housekeeping.

Will the whinging and whining ever stop? I very much doubt it.

Cunard do not appear to be getting anything right......so why do one and all on here still sail with the line.

So they still allow smoking on one's balcony......l as a smoker don't actually agree with this....far too dangerous, particularly on a transatlantic voyage.

I have seen smokers 'flick' their tab ends over the balcony and this makes me cringe.

Over the years many a folk who post or have in the past posted on here have had their say about smoking on board.....and have indeed filled out their feedback forms with great pride....and bragged about their input.

Brilliant stuff, but the same complainers apparently no longer sail with Cunard....they have moved on......music to my ears! The very thought of sailing with such idiots puts me off cruising for life with any line!

No cruise is perfect and as long as folk keep posting here with their gripes, trials and tribulations it will only result in the industry taking a nose dive...as it did in the 70's.

Nobody then acknowledged the beautiful QE2.... one magnificent liner....an icon of her time.....then all of a sudden when Cunard sold her off....all hell broke loose.

So going back to this smoking thread.....people smoke and always will......l for one do not wish to sail on a ship that is totally non smoking....so l choose very carefully which line l sail with. If Cunard allow smoking on the balconies then l am happy, but then l consider myself a very careful smoker and take my own ashtray with me, and would never ever flick my tab end into the sea......so while one and all continue to carp on about the effects of second hand smoke drifting across the balconies, maybe they should consider and think more so of the danger involved from those who don't give a damn where they deposit their fags!

Judy

Judy,

Is everyone who complains to Cunard or on this board about a policy they disagree with an idiot, or just those who complain about smoking?

I suppose we all should be concerned about those who throw butts or other things overboard, as doing so is dangerous/illegal/against the rules. Currently, smoking on one's balcony is not against the rules, but it still bothers some who book knowing smoking on balconies is allowed.

Several times on this thread, posters have said- I paraphrase- "well you knew the policy; why did you book if you knew smoking was allowed on balconies and then have the temerity to complain about it?" Please. How often do you vote for a politician whose platform you are in complete agreement with? It is possible that we may disagree with smoking, or another of Cunard's policy, but still want to enjoy what Cunard has to offer.

I've lived with smokers most of my life. I understand nicotine is powerfully addictive, or habit forming, or however you want to describe it. I also get that many smokers would not consider a cruise banning smoking. At the same time, I prefer not to have smoke blown into my balcony and room from the adjacent balcony. Others have posted correctly that Cunard will weigh opinions and their policy will likely be a reflection of their bottom line. To that end, it's rational for people who would prefer not to breathe others' smoke to let Cunard know about it, just as some complain about there being too many Germans or Americans on board, or the dress code not being enforced.

"How often do you vote for a politician whose platform you are in complete agreement with? It is possible that we may disagree with smoking, or another of Cunard's policy, but still want to enjoy what Cunard has to offer."

Imagine if we could only dine/travel/live where we agree 100% with EVERYTHING:eek:

Old Melldrew has a lot to be sorry for we oldies get all of the stick for whining when the younger ones are just as bad. My observations tend to be made on experience of age and travel and I try to be constructive. Iam sure there are lots of passengers who would gripe about petty things, as we all do, but they have not found CC. The final "whinge ", is a housekeeping matter!

Having travelled on everything from a 200 passenger to 3500 passenger boats , I like to look at the thing s that are out of sight like the pipework on the balcony, davits on the prom deck I know the weather can paly havoc with paint but the sight of chunks of rust coming off staunchions or pipework is not a pretty sight. On this cruise the scuppers were always full of water, because of the rain, but the design fault meant that the water did not reach the drain hole , instead when the were full the flooded the balcony floor. Silly little things but when a cruise line trumpets its credentials to all and sundry, these are the little things that mean the difference between a 10/10 and 9/10 .

As it is Sunday I can now go and have a lay down suffering from exhaustion!!!!!! HA HA HA .

Final comment during our exit from Gerainger, nice weather, my wife and I looked down to the balconies on deck 4, which stick out from those above, to be greeted with a gentleman of advancing years endeavouring to get an ALL OVER TAN, not a pretty sight. I wonder I he reads CC then he will now know he was spotted by other passengers as well.

Hi Brian Raine. Regarding your final comment, what ship were you on? Thanks -S.

Archived