Plans for Embarkation Day aboard the Dream

jcearth

Okay, so I will admit that I am an obsessive planner when it comes to cruises, but that is only fueled by my desire for everyone to have a great time. We are sailing with a group of 13 friends and family in September aboard the Dream that will include my wife and three young sons (ages 7, 4, and 3). Right now I am trying to formulate a gameplan for the first day that will maximize fun for the whole family, and I was wondering if some of you fine people could offer your opinions. On our previous two cruises, the kids club was open on the first night so this wasn't an issue for us, but this cruise being a 7 nighter, I am asking what activities would be the most fun for the entire family on the first night?

My plan for the day is to board early (FTTF!), drop the bags in the room, and hit the lido deck and the Waterpark. First question: what to do about dinner? My boys are not fans of the MDR (the meal takes way too long for them), and my wife and I are not fans of correcting behavior throughout an entire meal. On other nights, they will most likely eat dinner with Camp Carnival (they love this!). The only time that they have enjoyed a meal in the MDR was onboard the Disney Dream at Animator's Palate (there was an animated turtle conversing with them- incredible show). The first night in the MDR is also chaotic at best, as the waiters have not learned your dining habits yet (I am always amazed at how quickly they do this). Last year on the Fascination, I tried to convey my wishes to get the kids done with dinner early, but there were communication issues and this did not happen - the rest of the cruise it was very smooth. Only one time on any of my cruises have I skipped dinner in the MDR, so I am wondering if people eat at the buffet or pizza place or grill (before it closes at 6) and hang out at the pool instead of going to dinner.

Second question: What first evening activities are more family friendly - piano bar, karaoke, live music at Ocean Plaza, or the activities going on in the theatre before the Welcome Aboard Show? My wife and I love piano bars (especially the sing along variety) , but just never seem to make it to the ones on the ship (Since they have stopped smoking in there, however, I am making it at point to hang out there at least once - this time I mean it). The boys love listening to music, or even just a place where they can be loud and not have to worry about being hushed.

I would love to hear some opinions, so thank you in advance. FYI, I am also posting this on the family board.

I have yet to sail with camps being opened that first night. Sailing in Sept I would bet that camp is NOT opened the first night.

There will be a family dance party at 8:30 it was fun. Its only an hour

when we last sailed with our 5 year old grand daugher we ate lunch then toured the ship. then we asked her how to get back to our cabin.

We toured the areas that looked fun and what we will do all week. She was able to tour the gym that first day- was fun for her because she knows she is not allowed in there.

We showed her the house telephones-- (in case she got lost) never used them

For the MDR there was a table side magician which we used to get her to finish her meal. After she was finished the waiter got the magician to our table. Meal times took an hour---tops

Archived