Cost of Taxi for about 4 hours?

thenkengrene

• 4 months later...

First, I wasn't sure where to go. I had to walk out of the port area and outside of the gate was where nathaniel's rental area. No sign, just had to ask if it was them. The people in the cruise port (locals) knew about them and where to tell us to go. It was a short walk.

I paid $80 for a two seater golf cart. It was $100 for a four seater golf cart. However, their equipment was failing and they gave me a jeep for the same price of $80. It should have cost $100.

First, their process of getting people setup and going was too long in my opinion. They seemed disorganized. It seemed that if you were late to your pickup, you may not get a vehicle you rented ahead of time. If someone was in line that had a reservation, they were first. If you didn't, you waited until they were through. But, what if all vehicles were gone? I'm not sure what would happen...would they hold one? not sure.

Secondly, the Jeep seemed like it was going to fall apart. The ignition is not normal. The engine sounded like it was going to fall out or blow up. However, we were able to get around the entire island with no problem and back ok. Just have to fill the car back up to the point it was when you got it. Left with 1/4 a tank...make sure it had 1/4 a tank on return. There is a gas station almost across the street. I over paid/filled some, but about $10 would have been fine to fill it back up to the right amount.

Would I do it again? Umm...sure. Would I consider other people to rent from? Yes. I saw other rental vehicles that were in better shape elsewhere. Also, realize you drive on the left side, like in England. It took a bit of getting used to driving the "wrong way" considering how I'm used to driving.

I hope you enjoy your experience!

• 4 weeks later...

My main intent was to travel around, see the sights and go geocaching. If I were to not be geocaching, then it would be somewhat limited IMO. The market downtown may be interesting (my only regret is not stopping there long enough). Also, the light house was interesting and the better part is the views of the ocean just past the lighthouse. Otherwise, it wasn't all that interesting to me. It was fun driving on the wrong side of the road from what I'm used to driving.

If I went again, I wouldn't see any real good reason to leave the cruise port unless I was on an excursion. Maybe it is a little harsh, but this was my least favorite port on the cruise.

We negotiated a price with one of the tourist vans.

We had him take us all around the island. It is easy to go all around it.

Be sure to get out to the old military base and see the light house and closer to the port the replica of one of the Gemini Capsules and visit one of the beach areas. Do walk around the downtown area.

Four hours is perfect.

Keith

We negotiated a price with one of the tourist vans.

We had him take us all around the island. It is easy to go all around it.

Be sure to get out to the old military base and see the light house and closer to the port the replica of one of the Gemini Capsules and visit one of the beach areas. Do walk around the downtown area.

Four hours is perfect.

Keith

Can you share the price you agreed upon and the number of people in your group? Thanks.

Edited by 2 cruzen

Can you share the price you agreed upon and the number of people in your group? Thanks.

We paid $75.00 total for the two of us. We did take two others with us just to drop them off about 15 minutes away but then at that point it was only us for the rest of the time. We gave a nice tip too.

Keith

We paid $75.00 total for the two of us. We did take two others with us just to drop them off about 15 minutes away but then at that point it was only us for the rest of the time. We gave a nice tip too.

Keith

Thank you. I would like to see the lighthouse, but mostly want to spend a couple of hours in town visiting the National museum and having a lunch, drinks. I'm not sure if we should just taxi to town and do it on our own or pay for a tour. Could you elaborate on were you went. I think it would be better to have someone explain the sites to us. Thanks

Thank you. I would like to see the lighthouse, but mostly want to spend a couple of hours in town visiting the National museum and having a lunch, drinks. I'm not sure if we should just taxi to town and do it on our own or pay for a tour. Could you elaborate on were you went. I think it would be better to have someone explain the sites to us. Thanks

The driver took us all around the island. The island is not very large so we could pretty much see the entire area. It is not very wide.

I am also including a few photos.

We felt like our driver/tour guide knew everyone and probably did as he spent his entire life there and the Island is very much like a small town.

We walked around the downtown area but mainly went in and out of shops. We did not visit the National Museum.

We also visited the Lighthouse which was built in England in 1852. Adjacent to the Lighthouse is a former Naval Base which is now a College. We spent a while walking around there although you could do it much quicker than we did if you wanted to spend more of your time at the museum.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-h1dzynMfrrU/TwHZLkC_M_I/AAAAAAAALkY/KbXDU3XQ6A0/s1600/DSC_1160.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hHVOajuNBac/TwHZO9AwocI/AAAAAAAALkg/kVwvZeKr5E4/s1600/DSC_1162.jpg

We stopped at a few churches and a few other points of interest. To illustrate the width of the island at one point we could see both the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean.

We then stopped to view the replica of the Friendship 7 capsule which carried Astronaut John Glenn and was launched on February 20, 1962.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Oh3Qg5K6lGc/TwHZTxxAi7I/AAAAAAAALkw/yuRWHuGpSCU/s1600/DSC_1178.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tfSgNwJx_J4/TwHbTmplkTI/AAAAAAAALk8/zGSI0nQh6Ls/s1600/DSC_1183.jpg

This is the van we were driven in.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hHVOajuNBac/TwHZO9AwocI/AAAAAAAALkg/kVwvZeKr5E4/s1600/DSC_1162.jpg

All in all for us it was much better than being on a ships tour.

We are ones who do a mix of tours both on our own and also with the ship as well as also visiting some places without any tours.

Keith

Thank you Keith for all the information. The lighthouse looks beautiful. The last picture that was supposed to be the van was a duplicate of a sign. I think we will just decide what to do once we get there. We were in GT this past February with our kids (adult) and hung out at the Local Village. I would like to get away from the port area this time as there will be two ships docked.

Again, thank you and Happy Holidays.