Barcelona flight misery: Suggestions required.

moomoocow

Good morning MSC lovers, haters and those imbued with ambivalence.

I have a predicament that I'm sure some of you will be able to assist me with.

BA in their infinite wisdom have amended flight times to UK. Gone is my exceptionally convenient 1pm flight back to Gatwick

Suffice to say I have two options when travelling back from Barcelona on Nov 1st

Catch the 8pm flight or stay over and catch the 11am flight the following day.

If I get the 8pm flight what are the options of day activity at that time of year? (I'm assuming its out of season) What can I do with our luggage in the interim? Will it be too cold for the Ho-Ho bus?

If we have an extra night (highly likely as who wants to drive 259 miles home from Gatwick at 11pm at night?) then which hotels would you recommend? The two times I've stayed in Barcelona have been in a forgettable little pension that double charged me and a rented apartment for six. Need a comfortable central location please.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Does it have to be Gatwick? If it would be possible to fly from and to Manchester instead, which is obviously a LOT closer to you as well, the flight times with both Jet2 and Monarch are usually very good and can be found for a reasonable cost. I've used both airlines to fly to Barcelona at different times of year on three separate occasions and been fine.

One time I had a day room at a hotel in Barcelona, as my flight was also a night one. This was good because I had somewhere to leave my luggage, have a nap and get changed etc, but I spent the whole day feeling a bit like I was waiting around for my flight, rather than enjoying the city.

Weather wise, it could go either way at that time of year! If you go to visit the Sagrada Familia you are at least inside, the HOHO bus in the rain would be miserable.

Good luck...

Good morning MSC lovers, haters and those imbued with ambivalence.

I have a predicament that I'm sure some of you will be able to assist me with.

BA in their infinite wisdom have amended flight times to UK. Gone is my exceptionally convenient 1pm flight back to Gatwick

Suffice to say I have two options when travelling back from Barcelona on Nov 1st

Catch the 8pm flight or stay over and catch the 11am flight the following day.

If I get the 8pm flight what are the options of day activity at that time of year? (I'm assuming its out of season) What can I do with our luggage in the interim? Will it be too cold for the Ho-Ho bus?

If we have an extra night (highly likely as who wants to drive 259 miles home from Gatwick at 11pm at night?) then which hotels would you recommend? The two times I've stayed in Barcelona have been in a forgettable little pension that double charged me and a rented apartment for six. Need a comfortable central location please.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

The Mirror Barcelona - I even did a check for you 132 EUR for 2 people for the night...I stayed there last September and it was wonderful; very minimalist chic and don't forget to read up on the chef; apparently he has two stars in another establishment of his.

habitacion_deluxe1.jpg

Does it have to be Gatwick? If it would be possible to fly from and to Manchester instead, which is obviously a LOT closer to you as well, the flight times with both Jet2 and Monarch are usually very good and can be found for a reasonable cost. I've used both airlines to fly to Barcelona at different times of year on three separate occasions and been fine.

One time I had a day room at a hotel in Barcelona, as my flight was also a night one. This was good because I had somewhere to leave my luggage, have a nap and get changed etc, but I spent the whole day feeling a bit like I was waiting around for my flight, rather than enjoying the city.

Weather wise, it could go either way at that time of year! If you go to visit the Sagrada Familia you are at least inside, the HOHO bus in the rain would be miserable.

Good luck...

Unfortunately it is the flight included in the MSC deal. I long for them to provide regional flights but I will suffer the "London departure" when I get my cruises so cheaply.

We are even departing from Gatwick for the Armonia jolly next year despite flights not being included. Lara, you should check that out on Grand Voyages....Sharm to Venice........I believe there is no single supplement and from your review I reckon you'd be aces to have around :-D

The Mirror Barcelona - I even did a check for you 132 EUR for 2 people for the night...I stayed there last September and it was wonderful; very minimalist chic and don't forget to read up on the chef; apparently he has two stars in another establishment of his.

habitacion_deluxe1.jpg

I shall check it out post haste!

Lara, you should check that out on Grand Voyages....Sharm to Venice........I believe there is no single supplement and from your review I reckon you'd be aces to have around :-D

And from your review I am sure you will fit right in with the rest of us.....and Tim will have someone to get all dressed up with everynight :D

So aggravated with BA and Virgin.

Sorting out flights and they want an extra £120 to change our flight to the Saturday - that's not a flight class upgrade, still economy seating.

They didn't mention that in the email. I've told them to go whistle and will make do with the 8pm Friday flight and an overnight at a Gatwick hotel.

Assuming the 8pm flight hasn't suddenly increased in price.......if it has then they can stuff that and I shall book a jet2 back to Manchester.

Funnily enough I have already looked into it! All the cabins are showing unavailable though :( I will keep checking...

You are right. Both Armonia repos are not showing on the UK site now. They are likely fiddling with the fares again or have decided that there are too many Brits booked. The last time I checked, a few days ago, MSC had re-imposed single supplements of 50% on top of already increased fares. Wait and see.

I am glad the Armonia is a ship you felt comfortable dressing up in. All Aboard ?did manage to be smart on a number of occasions I recall on the Fantasia but he needed his butler in tow to hold any garments he considered had already served their purpose. I am not sure how he will manage without a butler.

Unfortunately it is the flight included in the MSC deal. I long for them to provide regional flights but I will suffer the "London departure" when I get my cruises so cheaply.

It might be worth you giving Msc a ring. We're headed out to Preziosa in September on their fly/cruise and paid a £50pp supplement to fly out in & out from Liverpool (apparently on easyjet).

Hi,

There is a very cheap bus from the city centre to the airport. Right opposite the entrance to the airport there is a large secure baggage storage centre which was quite cheap to leave your luggage, although I can't remember exactly how much. It has large lockers that you pack and close yourself. You pay at a machine similar to an ATM by cash or CC and it gives you a pin number on a print out.

We did this when we had an evening flight and it worked out well.

The other alternative is a cheapish hotel at Gatwick. I know they are not everyone's cup of tea but there is a sale on at Travelodge, in fact there is a relatively new Travelodge in Barcelona which I have used and it was ok.

Good luck

Archived