Spanish VAT

nelblu

Has anyone recently cruised from Barcelona and stayed within the Euro Zone, got charged with VAT on any services, such as dining plans, excursions, etc. Also, if a stop was in Venice what did they charged for a gondola ride. Tx.

We were charged 20% vat on on board purchases. If you lived outside the eurozone and spent over $100 you could reclaim it. We had the all in one drinks package and it wasn't charged on that, but that was pre purchased. This 20% was mainly on purchases from the shops.

Just to clarify. I too had the drinks package and had been advised that if it was pre purchased I could avoid paying the 10%, however I would have had to purchase it for my wife, who is a very light drinker, as well.

By waiting until we were onboard I was able to get the package for just myself.

We were charged 20% vat on on board purchases. If you lived outside the eurozone and spent over $100 you could reclaim it. We had the all in one drinks package and it wasn't charged on that, but that was pre purchased. This 20% was mainly on purchases from the shops.

What about on excursions, if you took any? Trying to decide if I should pre-purchase. Also, was there any correspondence with regards to VAT announced by the ship's staff.

Hi

We were on Liberty in May and drinks attracted 10% Spanish tax and all other purchases made onboard attracted 20%.

This applied also to shore excursions so I would book these along with the drinks package (if your taking it of course) before you travel.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What about on excursions, if you took any? Trying to decide if I should pre-purchase. Also, was there any correspondence with regards to VAT announced by the ship's staff.

I don't think you get charged extra if you pay in advance. We are on the same cruise. Please come back and tell us how you get on.

Has anyone recently cruised from Barcelona and stayed within the Euro Zone, got charged with VAT on any services, such as dining plans, excursions, etc. Also, if a stop was in Venice what did they charged for a gondola ride. Tx.

Two years ago a gondola ride for a family of 4 was 55 euro for about 30-40 minutes. We tipped him an extra 10 euro because he was friendly and gave a good narrative.

ETA: You do not receive all the VAT you paid back. They keep a good portion of it and it is a pain in the butt. I personally would only bother if you make a large purchase on board.

On Navigator last year, the CD announced that we could get refunds on the VAT if we had receipts for the tax, but only for a limited time - I think that after we left the Euro zone, anyone who hadn't claimed the refund yet was out of luck.

Just to clarify. I too had the drinks package and had been advised that if it was pre purchased I could avoid paying the 10%, however I would have had to purchase it for my wife, who is a very light drinker, as well.

By waiting until we were onboard I was able to get the package for just myself.

How did you manage to get the package just for yourself?

I wondered that. Surely just the fact that you don't drink much isn't enough :confused:

I've read posts here where they claim that they just say my cabinmate does not drink, and they let them purchase one package. I've not seen a bunch of these reports, but a few. If true, it would seem that the people on board the ship have more flexibility in applying the rules.

I've read posts here where they claim that they just say my cabinmate does not drink, and they let them purchase one package. I've not seen a bunch of these reports, but a few. If true, it would seem that the people on board the ship have more flexibility in applying the rules.

Thanks as always for your input Bob - The boards would be lost without you.

I am half thinking of trying this but if they say no I will then get charged the VAT on the wine package - decisions decisions!

I don't think you get charged extra if you pay in advance. We are on the same cruise. Please come back and tell us how you get on.

Clarification. Do you mean how to pre-reserve drink packages, excursions, etc.

Taxes! Grrrrrr~

We are on the Serenade OTS in December. I assume because we stop in Turkey we will not be charged VAT for the entire cruise. I'm curious, if you wait until after sail away from Barcelona, do you pay still pay the extra 10% for the RCI drink package?

How did you manage to get the package just for yourself?

I just told them that my wife couldn't drink any more than 3/4 glasses of wine per day and that if I had to buy two packages then we just wouldn't do it,

Just to clarify:

1. You are only charged vat on a sailing which starts and ends in Spain and doesn't leave the EU so thus would not apply to a transatlantic.

2. The charges are 10% for food & drinks and 20% for goods and services (eg spa)

3. When purchases such as drinks packages are made on cruises leaving Spain and calling outside the EU (eg turkey) the charges are not applied to the account until the ship has left Spanish waters so the VAT is not incurred

Archived