Trip Insurance

akubee

Could anyone recommend an insurance company and plan that would cover me in case of weather delays. I will be flying out of Atlanta in February to San Juan. Atlanta normally doesn't have a lot of winter weather, but with the crazy summer we're having, who knows what it could be doing by February!

Could anyone recommend an insurance company and plan that would cover me in case of weather delays. I will be flying out of Atlanta in February to San Juan. Atlanta normally doesn't have a lot of winter weather, but with the crazy summer we're having, who knows what it could be doing by February!

Many people use this website:

http://www.insuremytrip.com

You can compare policy, terms/conditions and prices on the following websites :

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

Another vote for insure my trip!

I ran into a situation of purchasing the right policy for us and called their 800 #. Their reps HAVE to be the best and most knowledgable people for a company I have EVER seen.

Tim

Keep in mind that while most travel insurance companies cover weather related delays, they tend to require a lengthy delay before any coverage is provided - so if a short to medium length delay causes you to miss a connection generally there is zero coverage. For example many policies use four hours as the threshold; with such a policy if your initial flight is three hours late and you miss the connecting flight, no coverage. Some policies have even longer thresholds (six hours is not uncommon and occasionally even longer). As such read potential policies very carefully before purchasing to make sure they cover an event you feel you might possibly occur.

The most important aspect of travel insurance is health insurance and emergency medical evacuation (which generally costs over $50,000, sometimes a lot more if it were to be required). While some people have health insurance that covers emergencies while out the country, very few have policies that cover emergency medical evacuations. Even if you are healthy and young it is prudent to have coverage for this as a fall, appendix issue etc. can arise without warning.

Keep in mind that while most travel insurance companies cover weather related delays, they tend to require a lengthy delay before any coverage is provided - so if a short to medium length delay causes you to miss a connection generally there is zero coverage. For example many policies use four hours as the threshold; with such a policy if your initial flight is three hours late and you miss the connecting flight, no coverage. Some policies have even longer thresholds (six hours is not uncommon and occasionally even longer). As such read potential policies very carefully before purchasing to make sure they cover an event you feel you might possibly occur.

[snip]

I agree that it is important to read the policy, but I don't think that the delay limitation time periods work the way you explained.

If the policy requires that you be delayed 4 hours and you miss your connection due to a 3 hour delay, the question becomes how late did you arrive at your Destination. If you arrived at the cruise port 10 hours later due to the initial 3 hour delay, you will probably be covered for additional expenses.

However, if you arrive at the cruise port 3 1/2 hours later than scheduled only to watch your ship sale away, a policy with a 4 hour requirement for the delay coverage won't pay for such a delay.

Even then, you might have coverage under your trip interruption coverage depending on the policy language. -- Suzanne

I'll be traveling during hurricane season and just bought travel insurance for the first time for my upcoming trip in September 2013.

My main reason for insurance is for weather delays. I purchased Travelex Basic insurance. There may be other insurances available to cover trip delays/cancellations due to weather. Double check with your insurance agent/broker to confirm coverage. I re-read mine and it should be covered under "Other Covered Events" It also covers for if your home is damaged before your trip for trip cancellation.

HTH

If anyone in your traveling group is a member of USAA (military) insurance, bank, etc. They offer AMAZING travel insurance through a 3rd party at unbeatable prices :D

OMG!! I didn't even think to check with them!!! I am calling first thing in Monday!!! Thanks

Archived