Anyone from the Fort Lauderdale Area?

hollyberry

Close your eyes, throw a rock in a random direction, and it will land on a golf course. It's Florida! ;)

Actually, if you've got a few days, you really don't have to limit yourself to the Fort Lauderdale area. You can look for courses in Ft Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Coral Springs, Hollywood, Davie, Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Deerfield Beach, and more. There will be dozens of public courses to choose from, as well as a huge number of private courses. Some recommendations:

PalmAire in Pompano Beach is a decent public course worth a look. It's about a 10 minute drive north of the port area by highway.

Country Club of Coral Springs is actually a pretty nice course...and really cheap. I think it's about $35 to play, and has a pretty good layout and nice landscaping. It's north and west of the port...you could get there in 20 minutes from the port via I595 to the Sawgrass Expressway...it's easy to find from there.

Mizner Trail in Boca Raton...Boca is a fairly upscale community full of very expensive private courses, but this is a rare public course that has a great and challenging layout...certainly worth a look (I live in Boca Raton, and more often than not, this is where I go). I usually get to the port in 20 minutes including side roads from my house...usually about 15 minutes on the highway. Easy drive too...just up I95 north.

Deer Creek in Deerfield Beach - Probably the best and most challenging of the publics courses...great layout, nice design, skilled, generally well admired by good golfers in the area. Deerfield Beach is the next town south of Boca Raton...closer to the port by 5 minutes or so. You could be there within 15 to 20 minutes...less if you hit no traffic. This and Mizner Trail would be the two I'd recommend - great courses, especially if you are a fairly good golfer.

NOW - if you are talking about staying at a resort of some kind which has a golf course...as a golf vacation package...and if price is not an object, head to the Boca Raton Resort and Club, about 15-20 minutes north of the port. This is a gorgeous 5-star spanich classical style resort with great courses, great restaurants, beach and intercoastal locations and private beach areas, and more. It's the pride of the city, and the heart of the design for the entire town (Addison Mizner created the resort at the turn of the Century, which put the former railroad stop on the map and created the city of Boca Raton).

Archived