Lucca visit, taxi from MC to Nice

asmody

Has anyone visited Lucca on a Sunday? Just wondering if the shops and restaurants are all open. We plan taking train over from Livorno on August 25th, but not if everything is closed. Also, we dock in Monte Carlo and have to get to Nice.....anyone have good taxi service recommendations? We want a service that's reliable and isn't outrageously expensive. I'm all for taking public transportation, but we'll have 2 heavy suitcases and carry ons, so a taxi would be best.:cool:

Make sure you have plenty of time for the trip as we had to wait over an hour for an accident to be cleared from the narrow roads between MC and Nice. Further the Taxi driver required extra fare since we were delayed so long.

When we docked in MC in May, the queue for a taxi was over 2 hours long, so definitely book one.

We chose to go by Helicopter with Heli Monaco. We felt like superstars when our transport arrived. A 5 minute ride took us to their terminal. I think we paid about €100 each. Our suitcases were checked in for our BA flight right there and we never saw them again until we arrived at Heathrow.

The flight was stunning. Deep blue sea, snow on the mountains. I loved it!

As for Lucca, we weren't there on a Sunday so I am unsure what will be open. There is a tourist information office by the bus station and they are very helpful. We hired push bikes and rode around the city wall, which was great fun. The shops are beautiful. Lots of little independent stores, all beautifully decorated on the outside. The main church had wonderful architecture as well.

Please don't bother visiting the toilets at the TI centre. They were expensive and dirty. There is a little hotel slightly further into the town. We bought a beer and used their facilities which was a much better use of our money.

Hope that is of some use.

http://www.revelation-tours.com/

I have used this company previously they are most obliging and very reliable. Your vehicle will be waiting for you inside the Port where you collect your luggage.

If you find on board cruisers who are in need of a transfer corresponding to your schedule the tariff is even more reasonable. Vehicles are comfy and drivers are knowledgable and speak excellent English.

We also included a tour of Eze and St Paul de Vence to fill the hours prior to our hotel check in, in Nice.

My wife is not a helicopter fan! I took the helicopter years ago back to Nice Airport to catch a flight back to the USA (PanAm was still in business).....was disconcerting when the rotors wouldn't turn when powered by the generator. The pilot just shrugged and motioned me across to another 'copter.....this time the rotors fired up. The short journey over was fantastic on a bright Sunday morning.

in june i took a taxi from airport Nice to centre : 35 € - what i found exagerated ( in May did pay 10 € less for a similar trip )

the taxi centre Nice tot terminal in Monte Carlo was 68 € - what was reasonable - it was lunchtime - easy traffic - driver took "moyenne corniche" road

normal rate airport to terminal in Monte Carlo is around 80

with 2 heavy suitcases taking a train is quite impossible : long distance in Monaco from station to terminal .

Archived