Car Rental In Halifax

Has anyone ever rented a car in Halifax to go out on their own? If so, can you tell me how far the rental place is from the port? If possible, the name of the rental agency. Thanks!

I do have a list but don't have it handy. All you need to do is google car rentals in Halifax and all your answers will be found quite easliy.

There are a couple recent threads on this exact topic. The threads list the names/addresses of the nearest rental companies.

A quick search should help you find them.

I do have a list but don't have it handy. All you need to do is google car rentals in Halifax and all your answers will be found quite easliy.

Yes Alamo/Enterprise is across the street in the VIA rail station. Be sure you book ahead as they have limited cars onsite. There was only one clerk for both car companies. He was very nice but I'm sure it can get backed up. Also the adjacent train station has free internet.

I also agree Alamo/Enterprise is the closet car rental, 5 min walking distance. Just walk across the VIA railway station parking lot, go through the "secret" basement walkway, up one level, pass the door next to a public washroom and you will see the small rental office inside the station lobby.

you can refill the gas tank in the nearby "SuperStore" gas station, 200 feet further down the VIA station, close to the "Atlantic SuperStore" parking lot entrance.

Inside the Superstore (a major supermarket), you can buy freshly steamed lobster ($1/lb addon}, a small eating area is setup inside the store. Adjacent is a liquor store where you can purchase Atlantic beer and fruit wine.

I have a reservation with Enterprise which was made for me by my son on the internet. I do not know if the location is the one mentioned here as being within walking distance of the cruise terminal. It is located at: SCOTIA SQUARE MALL - Suite 0110, Halifax. Also, if it is not and I need to call them, are there pay telephones available at the terminal?

Halifax is a small city, Scotia Square Mall is on Barrington St & Duke St., 1 mile from the cruise terminal, either you walk 15 min or Enterprise can pick you up.

Enterprise rental office in VIA station (Hollis St.) is very small with limited stalls. Sold out is common during cruise season.

Last time I was in Enterprise Hollis St. locaton, the line moved very slow because renters took their time asking driving direction to Peggy Cove and other attractions. Lucky, the company I am working for, had an Enterprise privilege account, so I skipped the line and out there in 5 min.

We just got back off the Glory, (July 21-28). We rented a car at Thrifty, which is also in the Westin Hotel.

It is sort of right across the street, but we had to walk all the way around to the front entrance to gain access to the hotel.

We reserved the car for 9:00, but we were walking with a handicapped couple so we didn't get to Thrifty till 9:30. We were then told that they ran out of the car we wanted, BUT, they can send us over to AVIS, which is NOT in the hotel, but about 1/2 mile away. They would arrange for us to be taken over there. To make this long story short, we had to wait about 20 minutes for the driver, then at AVIS there was another line, so we had to wait again. We finally got our car about 11:00, so we were basically 1 1/2 hours late and we had to miss certain things we wanted to see.

Thrifty did say they would reimburse us the difference in the price as AVIS was higher. Then we were told by Thrifty that we could bring the car to their location and they would get it back to AVIS. I mentioned this to the AVIS rep he quite positively told us,. we rent from AVIS, we return to AVIS, which we did.

My recommendation, get there as early as possible, and if you reserve for a certain time and you see you are running late, call the rental place and let them know or you will find yourself without a car.

Cheers

Len

Len,

Whenever you revisit Halifax again, Westin Hotel is next to VIA rail station. Don't need to walk all the way around to the front entrance, the Westin parking lot (also next to VIA station parking) is right across from the cruise terminal, there is a back entrance from the parking lot, save you 15 min of walking.

Michael

I also agree Alamo/Enterprise is the closet car rental, 5 min walking distance. Just walk across the VIA railway station parking lot, go through the "secret" basement walkway, up one level, pass the door next to a public washroom and you will see the small rental office inside the station lobby.

you can refill the gas tank in the nearby "SuperStore" gas station, 200 feet further down the VIA station, close to the "Atlantic SuperStore" parking lot entrance.

Inside the Superstore (a major supermarket), you can buy freshly steamed lobster ($1/lb addon}, a small eating area is setup inside the store. Adjacent is a liquor store where you can purchase Atlantic beer and fruit wine.

When we rented from Alamo, we found the "secret" stairway with the help of an employee. Upon entering, it looks like an abandoned basement but was directed to either the stairs or elevator and immediately found the agency. It certainly saved alot of time. Upon leaving, couldn't find the secret stairway and walked all around the building to get back to the ship.

Len,

Whenever you revisit Halifax again, Westin Hotel is next to VIA rail station. Don't need to walk all the way around to the front entrance, the Westin parking lot (also next to VIA station parking) is right across from the cruise terminal, there is a back entrance from the parking lot, save you 15 min of walking.

Michael

Thanks for the heads up. I would love to go back. This was my second time here and still didn't get to see and do all we would have liked to. Just a good reason to come back again. :D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

Can you give a better description of where the "secret" stairway is when leaving the boat? You leave the boat, walk across to a parking lot (Westin) - is this stairwell on the left or right side or in the middle - what type of door - one of those fire doors or one with a window? Hope those are not too many questions. :)

Can you give a better description of where the "secret" stairway is when leaving the boat? You leave the boat, walk across to a parking lot (Westin) - is this stairwell on the left or right side or in the middle - what type of door - one of those fire doors or one with a window? Hope those are not too many questions. :)

If I remember right, we walked directly across the street from the ship; facing the building towards the left side of the building to the first open door. It didn't even look like a Marriott from that side almost like a hospital. We walked down the hallway past a couple of doors and the elevator/stairs was on our right. (We did cheat and asked an employee who showed us where the stairs were) We went up the stairs and entered the VIA train station and the little Enterprise/Alamo/Thrifty office was right there. On a side note, I must say that I have never seen such a clean train station!

Archived