Review of majesty/ july 2013

thanks for this dreamgirl.....so pleased you had a great time:cool:

looks like majesty is getting fab reviews now (after the destiny disappointment) this is making me seriously consider it for a family break this winter

anyone know how the 3/4 berth cabins are laid out? are they in L shape? is there a sofa in any cabins?

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/ships/thomson-majesty-photos.html

I am sure you have seen the photos on the above link. :). Only the junior suites, as far as I am aware, have a sofa. The 3/4 berth cabins are the PLUS cabins and are also used for couples with the upper berths left up on the wall.

I haven't seen any L shape cabins, but even for 2 people I would personally avoid a standard cabin unless it was a last minute bargain. Also avoid cabins on deck 4 further back than the rear lifts as there is a lot of vibration.

Also, it may be worth mentioning that the standard cabins are the same on all decks, ie. on deck 3 they are the same size as std on deck 8, both inside and outside and the same for goes for plus cabins. There are a few cabins dotted about, eg at the very front of the ship, that are a different shape.

You beat me to it Ladies....

We never saw any L shaped when doing the changeover day head swivel.

Some of the normal size cabins had the bed pushed against the wall, it's definitely worth paying for the plus ones.

They are a bit tight for 4 , but our friends had 3 adults in a plus with no problems.

thanks guys......I'm looking at plus cabins, not concerned about which deck as they all appear to be the same size, we need 3 single beds for....mil & 2 dd's, would the plus cabins be big enough for 3 in your opinion?

shame about the sofa....3 berths on dream are great as they have a sofa bed which youngest can sleep on.....they are not too keen on bunks

Pleased it all went so well Vicki in the end and that you had such a good time. :)

Yes the itinerary is fab and I agree the service, effort being made and the food ar all excellent. That's what we found. I thought aspects of the design not so good (as you have referred to) but it's all a 'on balance' decision when choosing a cruise and it all depends upon how much these issues matter to you. But as you have discovered there's much to enjoy and ports of call that you would go far to beat - if that's possible! :D

thanks guys......I'm looking at plus cabins, not concerned about which deck as they all appear to be the same size, we need 3 single beds for....mil & 2 dd's, would the plus cabins be big enough for 3 in your opinion?

shame about the sofa....3 berths on dream are great as they have a sofa bed which youngest can sleep on.....they are not too keen on bunks

You could ask for a fold up bed instead of using an upper bunk. That is what we 3 ladies (all in our 60's) had, when I realised I couldn't climb down from the upper bunk! Our steward suggested it and she folded it up each morning when we went for breakfast, putting its mattress on one of the beds. At night when we went for dinner she made it up. It was a bit cramped at night but still enough room for everyone to get to the loo! But it does save the cost of a single cabin for gran. And she got a big tip....definitely worth it!

As far as the cabin sizes go I believe all of the plus cabins are a standard size and I wouldn't like to have a family of 4 in there. There are no sofas. I cannot comment on the suites. Perhaps someone else can help you there.

My three DDs were in an Outside Plus. It was very spacious, with plenty of floor space.

There are twin beds with bunks above.

We had a junior suit and it had a sofa bed as well as armchairs. Again, very spacious.

You could ask for a fold up bed instead of using an upper bunk. That is what we 3 ladies (all in our 60's) had, when I realised I couldn't climb down from the upper bunk! Our steward suggested it and she folded it up each morning when we went for breakfast, putting its mattress on one of the beds. At night when we went for dinner she made it up. It was a bit cramped at night but still enough room for everyone to get to the loo! But it does save the cost of a single cabin for gran. And she got a big tip....definitely worth it!

thanks jak....this sounds perfect

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/ships/thomson-majesty-photos.html

I am sure you have seen the photos on the above link. :). Only the junior suites, as far as I am aware, have a sofa. The 3/4 berth cabins are the PLUS cabins and are also used for couples with the upper berths left up on the wall.

I haven't seen any L shape cabins, but even for 2 people I would personally avoid a standard cabin unless it was a last minute bargain. Also avoid cabins on deck 4 further back than the rear lifts as there is a lot of vibration.

Also, it may be worth mentioning that the standard cabins are the same on all decks, ie. on deck 3 they are the same size as std on deck 8, both inside and outside and the same for goes for plus cabins. There are a few cabins dotted about, eg at the very front of the ship, that are a different shape.

Hi Jak,

Me and MJTS have booked a 4 berth outside plus on deck 4.Looking at the photos on the link,it appears that if made into a double as opposed to two singles one side looks to be up against the wall at the picture window.Is that the case do you know,not that clear on the link?

There are 2 bedside cabinets.

I would think that your steward would be able to move them around so they are one on each side of the bed. It looks like it's possible, it was on the indside plus cabins.

Thanks Joe

Hi Jim,

This was our cabin on deck 4 and it was a 4 berth (two lower and two upper beds) if that helps :)

4l3lp2.jpg

Hi Linda,

Thats what I`m looking for.Pics on the thomson website are a bit misleading

Nice tidy room by the way :D

Hi Jim,

This was our cabin on deck 4 and it was a 4 berth (two lower and two upper beds) if that helps :)

4l3lp2.jpg

this looks good....kids can climb up onto the bed to get into the bunks and if they fall out they will just fall on grandma....soft landing

did anyone notice any rails on the bunks?

I'm sure grandma would be happy with the size of that double:cool:

this looks good....kids can climb up onto the bed to get into the bunks and if they fall out they will just fall on grandma....soft landing

Yes, there is a rail on the bunks.

thanks guys

looking at the deck plan it looks like all the o/s+ cabins on deck 3/4 have drop down bunks and are midships....thinks i can probaly book any of those and not have to shell out to book a specific cabin:cool:

I think you have to have single beds if using the bunks. Not sure, but perhaps someone else would confirm.

thanks guys

looking at the deck plan it looks like all the o/s+ cabins on deck 3/4 have drop down bunks and are midships....thinks i can probaly book any of those and not have to shell out to book a specific cabin:cool:

I think you are correct. I have had cabin 480 which is 4th off the back of plus cabins and there was some vibration compared with 431 and 440. We had the offending bunk bed taped up and used a pillow chocolate to stop the irritating tapping noises. :eek: outside 486 there was some engine like noise. The white space opposite our cabin was an office where they put the video cassettes in for the televisions. I would use this cabin again. For peace of mind I have always paid to book a particular cabin but as you say you are pretty safe with deck 4 o/s plus.

Hi Jak,

Me and MJTS have booked a 4 berth outside plus on deck 4.Looking at the photos on the link,it appears that if made into a double as opposed to two singles one side looks to be up against the wall at the picture window.Is that the case do you know,not that clear on the link?

From memory I think that must be a standard cabin. Most plus cabins are made up with the double in the middle, headboard against the window with a bedside cabinet at each side, although I have seen some with the headboard facing the front or back of the ship.

How old are your girls?

15 & 18 jak....youngest doesnt like sleeping in bunk beds....she has a fear of falling out....she has never actually fallen out of a bunk bed just has a fear of it

if it has a rail and a bed (with grandma in it) below that will put her mind at rest and at least we will be able to get her in it

or, I may give thoms a call and see if they can supply an extra folding bed in the cabin which can be folded up during the day

dream plus cabins are perfect because they have the sofabed

15 & 18 jak....youngest doesnt like sleeping in bunk beds....she has a fear of falling out....she has never actually fallen out of a bunk bed just has a fear of it

if it has a rail and a bed (with grandma in it) below that will put her mind at rest and at least we will be able to get her in it

or, I may give thoms a call and see if they can supply an extra folding bed in the cabin which can be folded up during the day

dream plus cabins are perfect because they have the sofabed

Yes, the Dream plus cabins are ideal for 3. I am sure that I have read somewhere that you cannot have a double bed and bunks at the same time. The ladder was positioned to the long side of the bunk and to the floor where the double bed would be. Our steward suggested that she bring a fold up bed for our cabin when we asked if we could put a mattress on the floor. We were laughing so much with me being stuck on the bunk bed that she came to our cabin to see what all the laughing was all about!

The things Vicky thought were excellent about the Majesty are the same things I loved about it and the negatives are identical too. The staff, the food, the quality of the entertainment were superb. The layout of the ship for me was a compromise too far but not for Vicky and that comes down to many things and individual choices.

The only way to know how you would feel about it is to try it. I don't think you would have a bad holiday.

As far as the cabin sizes go I believe all of the plus cabins are a standard size and I wouldn't like to have a family of 4 in there. There are no sofas. I cannot comment on the suites. Perhaps someone else can help you there.

Thanks Little Nell, yes we really enjoyed it and although we wernt thrilled with the layout we did get used to it.

Our cabin was quite big it was L shape with the double bed in the resess so maybe gave us a bit more room that way , not sure .

Would be straight back aboard now if we could afford it !! Shame we cant :(

jak are those bunks big/sturdy enough for an adult (tall 18 yo) in your opinion?.....if i can get eldest into the bunk then problem solved, mil and dd 2 can have the twins

was that L shape (double & single) on majesty? dreamgirl, which deck/category was that? did you think that there was enough room for 3?... I could prebook one of those

thanks for help guys:cool:

Archived