DIY in Antibes

cruisePAC

We will be stopping in Cannes during our Mediterranean Cruise. I see a lot of people have suggested taking the train or bus to Antibes. What were some of the things you did there?

There is a nice little farmers market that is open in the morning. Picasso museum is pleasant - views from out back are very pretty. It's a nice Riviera town, with real feel - people live and work there. There was also a flea market both days we visited the town. Walk along the harbor and old walls. This link might help with some ideas - http://gofrance.about.com/od/provence/ss/Top-6-Things-To-Do-In-Antibes.htm

Can't help with a restaurant - we ate back in Cannes.

It works well if you want to knock around Cannes for a while, since it makes for a very easy day on a what is normally a port intensive, tour 'till you drop western Med itinerary. However if Cannes doesn't hold any interest, you'd probably have time to get to Nice, or St. Paul (easier if you rent a car).

There are a lot of nice cafes (both indoors and out) near the farmers market and within view of the marina. DW and I normally like to walk around and check-out the "Carte du Jour" which is usually posted on a chalkboard (or a bulletin board) in front of each restaurant. One of the tricks of eating in France (at a reasonable cost) is to focus on daily specials which are usually made from the freshest ingredients and usually offered at the best prices. When a place looks right, smells right, has the right specials, and seems to be popular...that is usually where we have lunch.

Hank

I agree with Hank 100% as to how to pick a restaurant. Don't miss having the fish soup (soupe des poissons) for a first course. It is typical of the area and delicious.

Ahhh! Sometimes I dream of good soupe de poisons and I bet we could have a good discussion about this wonderful soup. Having tried it all over the south of France I have discovered that my favorite version is what I can usually get in Nice's old town. We often head to the Cours Salaya for lunch...just so I can enjoy "my soup" at one of the cafes.

Hank

Ahhh! Sometimes I dream of good soupe de poisons and I bet we could have a good discussion about this wonderful soup. Having tried it all over the south of France I have discovered that my favorite version is what I can usually get in Nice's old town. We often head to the Cours Salaya for lunch...just so I can enjoy "my soup" at one of the cafes.

Hank

I know, I know! My mouth is watering. In 15 more days I'll be there continuing my "research!"

Hank

We once had a "cheapo" version that was thickened with bread - go figure, it was our favorite. Had this in Arles though.

Edited by buggins0402

Lot's to do in Antibes - it's a great destination (IMHO much better than Cannes). My top three are 1 - Sunbathe/swim at Plage de la Gravette - surprisingly good snorkeling for the Mediterranean. 2 - Visit the Picasso museum - brilliant selection of Picasso plates on the top floor ;). 3 - Wander around Port Vauban - amazing super yachts.

• 3 months later...

In researching the transportation from Cannes to Antibes, I've looked at the train website - sncf dot com. For a 10-minute ride, it's $11 one-way. So, for DH and I, round-trip, it will be $44. Does that sound right? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

In researching the transportation from Cannes to Antibes, I've looked at the train website - sncf dot com. For a 10-minute ride, it's $11 one-way. So, for DH and I, round-trip, it will be $44. Does that sound right? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Bus would be cheaper. Here's a tripadvisor thread that may help

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187221-i454-k3516859-Bus_to_Antibes-Cannes_French_Riviera_Cote_d_Azur_Provence.html

We've done both. Bus stops are more central in both cities and bus is cheaper. Bus fares have gone up since the date of the tripadvisor thread - but not by much.