Rental iPhones on Oasis?

Can someone please tell me about this service? The Hubs and I are going on Oasis in August and I'm worried how we will stay in touch on that huge ship if we do separate activities. What is the cost of the rentals and how do they work?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Can someone please tell me about this service? The Hubs and I are going on Oasis in August and I'm worried how we will stay in touch on that huge ship if we do separate activities. What is the cost of the rentals and how do they work?

Here is some info:

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/docs/rccl-pdfs/connect-brochure.pdf

Awesome concept but service was spotty when we rented them. At the time, they gave you until the 2nd or 3rd day to return them for a refund if you weren't "WOWed." :) That was a few years ago.

PS - I've heard they can sell out quickly so if you're going to get them, consider doing it soon after you board.

Can you reserve them in advance?

No

So, it would be $60 for a couple to have the phones. Do they charge per call or minute or is that included in the fee?

No charges for using the phone beyond the rental fee. Note that you cannot call or text to anything else besides another ship phone.

I would reiterate that if you want to get them, make that your very first stop when you get on the ship and board early. We were on board Allure by 11:40 and we went right to the Card Room on Deck 14 where the phones were being rented and there was line that did not look that long in front of us but moved INCREDIBLY slowly. There were two employees helping but one did not seem to know what she was doing, and there were several parties ahead of us renting 6-8 phones (!), including one couple who did not seem to be very familiar generally with how to work a cell phone. After we got in line it grew very long behind us. We were there about 45 minutes

Note that they will link up your phone with anyone else in your party (in or out of your cabin) who is also getting a phone and those are the people who you can call or text.

We found that the phone did not always work. It was OK. I would probably get it again but it had some limitations. One cool thing was that you can use it as a tracking device to see where the other people are who have the phones. But it is not always exactly right (example, it showed us at Rita's Cantina but we were sitting in the Aqua Theatre, which is nearby). And sometimes the location service did not work.

The phones did not work on Labadee or anywhere else off the ship.

No

No charges for using the phone beyond the rental fee. Note that you cannot call or text to anything else besides another ship phone.

Yeah--I get that. I can see where this might be good for some. We usually use the sticky note method.

Or call our own phone and leave a message.

We used to do that but these ships are way to big to run back to your room to see if there is a message.

I also think a different prior poster was talking about the 'old' phones they used to rent.

We rented the newer IPhones last year and they worked anywhere on the ship.

You could also text and they have a gps so you can actually just see where the other person is. It also automatically loads every morning with the schedules for everything for the day so you do not have to carry the paper one with you.

I also do not think using your own phone is a good idea. I have heard some plans will give you roaming charges for any use at sea.

We are going on the Allure this October & plan to rent them again.

We use the house phones, they are all over the ship and we also use post it notes. Another thing we do is agree to meet at a certain time, if the meet up does not pan out then the note does. All free. Also we pick a favorite bar and can always be found there if the other stuff does not work out. Its never been a problem.

Archived