Carnival Stockholder on board credit

Cisleman

As a owner of 100 or more shares of Carnival Stock has anyone gotten the on board credit the corporation promises? Is it in addition to other on board credits such as the one I get from AMEX Platinum? Are these good for more than one booking or just a one time benefit? As I recall when I was entitled to a referral credit on our first cruise on Seabourn a number of years ago they told me on board I was only entitled to get the higher of the two which was the referral credit and they denied the AMEX Plt credit.

I always get my stockholder on board credit. I either send a copy of my dividend slip or share certificate to my travel agent and the credit is awaiting me on the ship. ,or if I forget I take a copy on board to prove ownership ,give it to reception and a couple of days later get my on board credit.:)

Carnival Shareholder Credit is one of the few OBC's still combinable with the $400.00 Referral Credit and as well the AMEX Platinum or Centurion OBC benefit of $300.00 or $500.00.

This ^^^^^

We have had the shareholder OBC five times so far for a total return of $1,250 and have been able to combine it with our Amex OBC. Not bad on a total investment of $4,668!

And I get a dividend and, right now, I am sitting on an unrealised capital gain of around $1,000. In terms of percentage return, probably my best ever investment.

This ^^^^^

We have had the shareholder OBC five times so far for a total return of $1,250 and have been able to combine it with our Amex OBC. Not bad on a total investment of $4,668!

And I get a dividend and, right now, I am sitting on an unrealised capital gain of around $1,000. In terms of percentage return, probably my best ever investment.

I agree - a good investment. But only if you cruise at least once a year.

The stock is sitting today at $37.36 so 100 shares would only cost $3736. So each 7 day cruise would give you a 2.7% dividend tax free. This is in addition to at $1.00 per share normal taxable dividend. AS a straight investment, I would not recommend it - the price of the stock has not done much. But if you take a cruise or two each year with one of the Carnival llines, it s definately worth it.

I agree - a good investment. But only if you cruise at least once a year.

The stock is sitting today at $37.36 so 100 shares would only cost $3736. So each 7 day cruise would give you a 2.7% dividend tax free. This is in addition to at $1.00 per share normal taxable dividend. AS a straight investment, I would not recommend it - the price of the stock has not done much. But if you take a cruise or two each year with one of the Carnival llines, it s definately worth it.

I bought the stock at $30.38 and would have bought it earlier (and cheaper) but for an independence conflict. :cool:

We do tend to cruise at least once a year, sometimes more. So, the $250 OBC represents a tax free dividend of 5.36% on the cost of my holding. The regular dividend is around 2.68% (taxable). So, after tax I am looking at a net return of around 7% - 7.5%.

However, what I am actually doing is subtracting the OBC from my cost of ownership rather than counting it as income (the regular dividend is income). That gives me a cost of ownership of $22.81.

In direct answer to your post, fax a copy of your proof of ownership to Seabourn,, at the Seabourn Club desk. You are entitled to $100 for a 7 day cruise and $250 for a 14 day or more cruise. List your booking number and other data regarding the ship, date of sailing etc. As noted by other posters, you get the benefit for all Seabourn cruises you make. Good luck. Maxine

• 3 years later...

I haven't seen this question posted so I am hoping there are other Canadians who may benefit from my question.

I am a Canadian who is interested in purchasing 100 shares of Carnival Corp. so I too can receive the on board credit while cruising primarily on Princess and HAL ships.

My question is in regards to the value of this investment for Canadians.

Since the shares are classed as foreign equity stocks, the dividends paid would be subject to foreign tax withholding of @ 25%. Combine this with the extra income tax information required to be submitted to Revenue Canada, I would like to hear from other Canadians who own shares and how they feel about the withholding tax. Is this a worth while investment overall and what would the rate of return be on the investment?

Greatly appreciate any information provided.

… Since the shares are classed as foreign equity stocks, the dividends paid would be subject to foreign tax withholding of @ 25%. Combine this with the extra income tax information required to be submitted to Revenue Canada, I would like to hear from other Canadians who own shares and how they feel about the withholding tax. Is this a worth while investment overall and what would the rate of return be on the investment?
We hold 100 CCL shares in an RRSP account where they are exempt from the 15% US withholding tax. We've had the shares for many years and have benefited greatly, not only from capital appreciation and dividends (which we reinvest) but from generous OBC provided on every cruise taken aboard any cruise line in the CCL family, including Seabourn.

Thanks MightyQuinn

I was planning of purchasing the CCL shares from within my TFSA. I am hoping that the withholding tax would be exempt also. The shares have risen quite a bit over the past few years, I am wondering if they will continue or if I should wait for a stock market correction.

Because CCL is a "paired" stock (it is both a US and a UK company) it has always been treated as a UK company by our broker despite the fact that we purchased it on a US exchange. Good news, there is no withholding under the UK-Canada tax treaty even if you hold the stock in a standard investment account.

TFSAs probably would not qualify for a withholding exemption as, unlike RRSPs and RRIFs, they are not retirement accounts.

Thanks LonCan

I have been reading about TFSA not being a good place to hold foreign dividend stocks for many reasons, so I will have to look at opening a new regular investment account specifically to hold the CCL stocks.

Thank you for the information about the stocks classed as "paired". This is something I have not come across but will investigate further.

Are you dealing with an independent broker or one from a bank? Saving the 15% US withholding tax makes the investment a much better deal.