Back from Freedom Western

Just returned from Freedom Western itinerary 7/21 departure. Our cruise was flawless from start to finish. We are "seasoned cruisers" having been on more than 20 cruises and the

service, attentiveness of the staff (all departments), and the interaction and availability of the Captain(Master), Hotel Director Cruise Director and his assistance truly personalized the trip.

Rather than restate what has been written on this board in detail many times, I will affirm that RCCL and specifically Freedom has an exceptional product. However I do have some specific comments: The DreamWorks characters are subtly injected into the activity schedule and hence it does note become a themed cruise like other lines, food in the dining room was very good considering it is mass produced (Chops has very good food, but is not a good value), the windjammer buffet has enough food and variety to feed the 9th calvary and it is good. Last time we were on Freedom they did not have the soda machines for those taking advantage of the soda package it is a nice option with countless soda and flavored water options. If you intend to buy liquor (bottles to take home) on board, be advised that you will find better prices in port. RCCL policy is to price match port prices, just take a picture of the advertised price and show them in the shop on board. Ketl One vodka on board $22ea, in Falmouth 2 for $35.

Only comment on ports of call is that there were 3 ships in port in Cozumel. We took a $16(rt) taxi ride into town and it was nearly deserted. Many shops closed, even the duty free shop at the pier in the center of town was closed. The International Pier where we docked (and the other 2 ships) will undoubtedly become a well developed center for duty free shopping and a place to buy things that you don't need.

Docked in Port Canaveral at 6:15 and we walked off w/luggage at 7:00a. Be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Bill

If you intend to buy liquor (bottles to take home) on board, be advised that you will find better prices in port. RCCL policy is to price match port prices, just take a picture of the advertised price and show them in the shop on board. Ketl One vodka on board $22ea, in Falmouth 2 for $35.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Sailing on Freedom on September 1st, Western Caribbean. Out of the three ports would you say Falmouth is the best for Duty Free liquor? I'm mainly looking for Johnnie Walker Blue.

Thanks

Our sailing had children of all ages, all well behaved. The high percentage was pre and young teen. At age 12 she may really enjoy the flow rider. The staff there spend a lot of time instructing young kids...she should have a great time...they also have the Royal Kids(I think that is the name), program with structured activities if that is something she would like.

For liquor, consider purchasing in Falmouth or Cozumel. There are sales in the port shops that are better than ship prices and the selection at port shops is naturally much greater. Again, ship will price match. Needless to say (but I'm saying it) Jamaica has greater selection of rums and Cozumel has a greater selection of tequila. If I recall correctly all one litre varieties of Bacardi on the ship were 2 for $20.

Thanks for sharing! Sailing with mom and sister Feb. 2nd. Love Kettle One! Made a note of that one! How did you find Grand Cayman? Sis and I are beach people, but mom not so much being that she's 81 years young!

Thanks for sharing, nice report! Did you happen to notice if there were a lot of Quinceanera's on board? I think the week before you there were a lot. I'm just trying to get an idea because next year we have to take our vacation in July and was wondering if one week was more popular with Quinceaneras so we can avoid that week. Thanks.

Just curious did they price match for you? I always think its funny because once you leave port it's not like you can go back and purchase it...

They would have price matched , however I was unsure at the time, so I purchased in port. I did show them the pic I took and they would readily price matched. I'm not a big fan of showing the results of our shopping just so they could match, I would just as soon buy from the merchant with the lower price. Now, if they would match and offer a 3 - 5% additional price reduction...then I would jump on it.

Thanks for sharing, nice report! Did you happen to notice if there were a lot of Quinceanera's on board? I think the week before you there were a lot. I'm just trying to get an idea because next year we have to take our vacation in July and was wondering if one week was more popular with Quinceaneras so we can avoid that week. Thanks.

We did not notice any Quinceanera's on our cruise.

Thanks for sharing! Sailing with mom and sister Feb. 2nd. Love Kettle One! Made a note of that one! How did you find Grand Cayman? Sis and I are beach people, but mom not so much being that she's 81 years young!

We have been to GC several times and done many excursions there...this time we enjoyed having this magnificent floating resort all to ourself (almost) while others went ashore. Of course GC is the most developed of the ports that we stopped at. For me it tends to me crowded and pricey and lacks the personality of the other ports.Though we don't snorkel , I'm told it is and excellent port for that.

I was on this same cruise and I have 3 teens. There were 35 girls celebrating their quinceanero. My teens met them. They were super nice and my son got to practice his Spanish on them. It was a good experience for my kids to meet other teens from all over the US and world. I think FOS does a good job keeping the teens busy at night until 1 am. Daytime activities were on the schedule but they didn't do a lot of them because of lack of participation.

They would have price matched , however I was unsure at the time, so I purchased in port. I did show them the pic I took and they would readily price matched. I'm not a big fan of showing the results of our shopping just so they could match, I would just as soon buy from the merchant with the lower price. Now, if they would match and offer a 3 - 5% additional price reduction...then I would jump on it.

Thanks for sharing! Did you find any good rum in the ports that we can't get in the US? I heard there's some kind of rum creme that's supposed to be very tasty, but I'm not sure of the name or where to get it.

Thanks for sharing! Did you find any good rum in the ports that we can't get in the US? I heard there's some kind of rum creme that's supposed to be very tasty, but I'm not sure of the name or where to get it.

That's Jamaican creme rum. Not sure the brand. May be Appleton. I've not been able to find it up here in the Northeast, but have found it on a few islands besides Jamaica on our trips. Good stuff and a good swap from Baileys in coffee!

I was told that there is no Diamond/Diamond Plus/Pinnacle breakfast area in the MDR. Can you confirm that. That is one of my favorite D+ perks! Was really sad to hear that was not offered on Freedom.

Also.....what did you do in Falmouth?

Archived