Carnival Glory...Quick Review

Smucci

My family and I just sailed the Glory week of 7/21 Boston to Canada. Family includes Twin DS 17 years old, DD 4 years old, DH and DMom. Third cruise for me and DH and first cruise for everyone else.

The most disappointing aspect of our cruise was the poor weather and since that is out of Carnival's control, that is good news to future Glory cruisers.

The weather was foggy (which meant the fog horn was blown every TWO minutes, but rather be safe than sorry). This put a damper on sitting outside on the Lido deck, but since it rained/drizzled most of the time, it didn't really matter. OK, onto the Positives of the cruise, and there are many of them!!

Embarking was a breeze. We got on board early, so we enjoyed the noon buffet and of course, Guy's burgers which were out of this world!

Food: The food in MDR was very good, albeit small portions. So we would order 2 appetizers, or, if you're like DH, 2 main courses. Desserts were out of this world. Buffet food was ok, but cant complain, its buffet food. Good enough to put something in your stomach when hungry. The Fish and Chips place was out of this world!! Too bad I didn't try it out until the second to last day of the cruise. Its on the second floor of the buffet area, which is why I didn't discover it until later in the cruise. Fried fish, fried calamari and fried oysters were to die for. Calamari fritters, ahi tuna watermelon and octopus salad were superb. String fries too! Highly recommend this place!

The pizza was phenomenal, if you like thin crust. Perfect for when the 11:30 pm comedy show lets out and you need a little something to snack on. Burrito bar was delish too. Guys burgers were out of this world as well.

Brunch on sea days were absolutely delish.

Crew: The crew could not have been more friendly and accommodating. They always had a smile, a nod of their head and a "good morning" as you walked passed them. Huge shout out to our wait staff in the MDR Reymundo, Rony and Demitri. They memorized all 6 of our names by the second nite of dinner. Our DD turned 4 while on the cruise and they made her birthday dinner extra special. We ordered a birthday cake and the crew made a huge deal of her turning 4 yrs old. Our room steward was hardly seen, but our room was always clean and we always had a cooler full of ice. DD loved the animal towels, too!

Cleanliness of the Ship: I constantly saw crew members wiping down common areas (door handles, elevator buttons, railings). The ship is extremely clean and the crew's effort to keep the ship clean is very noticeable. Tables in the buffet were usually all clean and ready for use. Food servers in buffet always had plastic gloves on.

Entertainment: We saw a few comedians, some were better than others. But cant complain about any of them. We saw the MotorCity show, which was very good.

Onboard activities: There is something for everyone to do, how little and how much you want. DH enjoys a cigar from time to time, so we spent some evenings in the Bar Blue (smoking bar) and we made some new friends of our own in there. Goran, the bartender, was fun and made a good drink too!

Camp Carnival: As I said, DD turned 4 during the cruise. She could not wait to go to camp every day and I had a hard time convincing her to leave camp to spend time with us. They had so many fun activities and the camp staff was sincere and responsible. I wish I could have brought camp home with me!! Face painting, tshirt decorating, magic shows, bingo, silly dance time, I could go on and on. Very pleased with the camp.

Teen Programs: My Twin 17 year old DS were 3 weeks shy of their 18th birthday. They went to the teen clubs, but found it "lame" that instead of just letting the kids hang out, there was an activity schedule. My boys met other kids their age in the teen clubs, but they spent most of their time in groups with their new-found friends, roaming the halls (quietly!), sitting in the common areas or the buffet or in the hot tubs. They had a great time and met a lot of nice "kids" their age. There was an incident of a teen bringing alcohol into the club and it was handled appropriately. Parents called, dad reaming out his son in front of everyone, etc. All of the kids my sons hung out with seemed to be really good kids. It was nice to pass by my boys hanging out in the common areas and to see them making new connections.

One of my DS works out religiously, so he frequented the fitness center. He said it was limited on the equipment available, but he still found plenty to do there. The hot tub and whirl pool in the fitness center was very nice as DH and I used it several times.

Cheers Program: DH was listed in another stateroom than I was so he was able to purchase the CHeers program by himself. If we were both listed in the same room, we both would have had to purchase the program, and it would not have been worth it in that instance. However, it worked for us having just one of us purchase it. DH figured out he paid $4 per drink on the program, and he orders all top-shelf liquor. You are not supposed to share drinks purchased on the program, but no one really kept track, so we were able to share the 15 drinks per day. Very worth it for us. Unlimited sodas and smoothies too on the program!

Disembarking: We used the "self-assist" method where we carried our luggage off the ship instead of having the crew pick it up for us. We were off the ship by 8:30 am and heading home via livery service for a 1/2 hour drive north.

I'd be happy to answer any questions. Happy Cruising!!

That sounds pretty much like a review of any Carnival cruise I've ever been on. :)

Makes you wonder which Carnival ships the groaners cruise on.

So far I've cruised on Destiny, Victory, Glory and Valor

and can only say good stuff about those ships

-and all seven cruises I've done on those ships so far.

Just about to present myself for more of the same torture,

come September and Glory again!

Bring it on: I love suffering like this!

Cheers Program: DH was listed in another stateroom than I was so he was able to purchase the CHeers program by himself. If we were both listed in the same room, we both would have had to purchase the program, and it would not have been worth it in that instance. However, it worked for us having just one of us purchase it. DH figured out he paid $4 per drink on the program, and he orders all top-shelf liquor. You are not supposed to share drinks purchased on the program, but no one really kept track, so we were able to share the 15 drinks per day. Very worth it for us. Unlimited sodas and smoothies too on the program!

Nice review until I got to this part. It's bad enough you can't follow the rules that you clearly understand (in essence, you stole but just didn't get caught stealing) but I wonder if you also shared those sodas and smoothies with your kids and made them accomplices is your illegal activities? Great ethics to be teaching them......"kids, it's okay to steal as long as you don't get caught"...... :mad:

Nice review until I got to this part. It's bad enough you can't follow the rules that you clearly understand (in essence, you stole but just didn't get caught stealing) but I wonder if you also shared those sodas and smoothies with your kids and made them accomplices is your illegal activities? Great ethics to be teaching them......"kids, it's okay to steal as long as you don't get caught"...... :mad:

seriously? nobody asked for a lesson in ethics. :rolleyes:

to the OP, glad you had a great trip. Mind sharing what you did in Canada? I'm going to be on her in a few weeks. Hope you took good care of her for me!

seriously? nobody asked for a lesson in ethics. :rolleyes:

Seriously?

It's one thing to do the wrong thing and get away with it and even pat yourself on the back for doing so. It's a completely different thing to tell the whole world what you got away with and when the world says what a crock, you shouldn't be surprised. Same with smugglers. You want to smuggle, that's between you, Carnival, and your conscious. You want to blab here about it and drag the rest of us into it, I'm going to tell you just how wrong you are.

Simply put, when you do something wrong and then go on a public site and run your mouth about it you have completely and fully asked for a lesson in ethics. And probably a lesson in keeping secrets as well. :rolleyes:

we cruised this week also and had a great time, just wish the weather had been a little better, st johns was a hard rain most of the day, not a nice day to out. felt sorry for the people who did the zip lining, we went by them and it was raining hard and they were up on the lines.

• 4 months later...

That sounds pretty much like a review of any Carnival cruise I've ever been on. :)

Makes you wonder which Carnival ships the groaners cruise on.

So far I've cruised on Destiny, Victory, Glory and Valor

and can only say good stuff about those ships

-and all seven cruises I've done on those ships so far.

Just about to present myself for more of the same torture,

come September and Glory again!

Bring it on: I love suffering like this!

Hi. How was your sailing in September?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 weeks later...