Young Teens & Formal Dinner

Is it okay for a young teen to wear slack, button shirt & tie without a jacket to the formal dinner?

:confused:

Would they wear what you are asking to a wedding if the invitation stated tux or suit and tie?

Formal dinner is not a dress up contest. It is a nice dinner that should be enjoyed by the families and their friends. I believe that as long as the people present are clean, neatly dressed and well mannered that is the bottom line. My two boys (14 & 15) will be in nice slacks, a dress shirt and nice shoes. They will use their best manners, be polite to the waiters and staff plus our table guests. It is who they are and not the clothes that they are wearing that will make them gentlemen.

Thanks!

Formal dinner is not a dress up contest. It is a nice dinner that should be enjoyed by the families and their friends. I believe that as long as the people present are clean, neatly dressed and well mannered that is the bottom line. My two boys (14 & 15) will be in nice slacks, a dress shirt and nice shoes. They will use their best manners, be polite to the waiters and staff plus our table guests. It is who they are and not the clothes that they are wearing that will make them gentlemen.

Thanks!

Obviously clueless as to what a formal dinner and evening is all about. It is not mcDonald's with table clothes.

They should atleast wear a tie. FYI~Carnival is getting more strict about the formal night policy. In April on the Spirit they asked people to return in appropriate attire. Nice pants, shirt and shoes are the same thing they would wear any other night by Carnival guidelines.

Happy Cruising,

Donna

They will use their best manners, be polite to the waiters and staff plus our table guests. It is who they are and not the clothes that they are wearing that will make them gentlemen.

Thanks!

Do they only use their best manners and are they only polite on formal night. Not a pleasant image of what they do on the rest of the cruise.

Class is not determined by the clothes you wear, it's how you act and behave. I would far rather sit with someone who was well behaved then an ill mannered table mate in a tux.

BTW, my boys are always well behaved and wouldn't even think of reprimanding someone who wasn't dressed as they thought appropriate, they have far more class than that.

Just returned from the conquest on 6/19. Suit coats and tuxes were by far the minority. I did see a lot of dress pants w/shirts and ties. The first formal night seemed more formal as more people really dressed for the captain's dinner. I wouldn't go out and buy a jacket just for the cruise and I certainly wouldn't waste the money on renting a tux. He will be in the norm if he wears slacks/shirt/tie.

Wow. You're getting some bad advice and opinions from some on here.

I will direct you to Carnivals requirements:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

The dress code pertains to adults AND children.

Remember, there's a difference between being seen, and being noticed!

Bon voyage!

The only one's "CLUELESS", are those who take offense at such attire.:rolleyes:

Well said!

From the Carnival requirements:

sport coat, tie and slacks

If you want to follow the letter of the law, just have a sport coat for your young man. But if you're close (no jacket), the only people who will mind are the ones with self-image issues. ;)

My three teenage boys wore dress shirts with ties and docker pants the first night and collar shirts with docker pants the 2nd time, but both times with their skateboard tennis shoes. :) We're on a budget and care more about how people treat each other than making a fachion statement. Your boys will look great no matter what they wear! Have a wonderful time!

Is it okay for a young teen to wear slack, button shirt & tie without a jacket to the formal dinner?

:confused:

My boys were 13 and 14 when we cruised in 2002. I found them suits for formal nights. Tux or a suit is requested and there's always the Lido deck if they don't want to wear approriate attire.

Why can't we lift the bar for our young people instead of everyone coming down to the lowest common level.

just got back saturday on inspiration and the family seated with us had a son i believe was 13 and he was dressed that way and was perfectly fine.Enjoy! your biggest problem might be just getting him to eat in the dining room. our teenage daughters 13 & 14 joined us for formal night but there were just way too many knives,forks,and spoons foor them and they chose to eat with the friends they made at the buffet's the rest of time.

I would like to respond to tumeroll's responses.

Why is it that when a question is asked people like you must push their values on others. Why isn't it OK for a young teen to wear a pants and a button down shirt if that is what the parents want. Does that somehow spoil your vacation?

I think that it's OK for my son who is 13 to wear slacks and a shirt. Frankly, they grow so fast, a suit is a waste of money since they will most likely take the jacket off and use it once anyway.

I think that if the kid is happy, they will have a better time. Thus, the parents will to.

Only my opinion. Formal night does not mean that you have to wear a tux or suit if you don't want to. The whole idea of a vacation is to enjoy oneself and get away from the 9 to 5 grind most of us endore daily.

You shouldn't judge people for what they wear........

Enjoy......

We were on the Elation sailing and my 15 year old son wore a shirt and tie on first night and second formal night wore a button down shirt with slacks. He was what most boys that age were wearing except most of the other boys had tennis shoes on with thier slacks. No one gave them any problems at all. Enjoy!

I would like to respond to tumeroll's responses.

Why is it that when a question is asked people like you must push their values on others. Why isn't it OK for a young teen to wear a pants and a button down shirt if that is what the parents want. Does that somehow spoil your vacation?

I think that it's OK for my son who is 13 to wear slacks and a shirt. Frankly, they grow so fast, a suit is a waste of money since they will most likely take the jacket off and use it once anyway.

I think that if the kid is happy, they will have a better time. Thus, the parents will to.

Only my opinion. Formal night does not mean that you have to wear a tux or suit if you don't want to. The whole idea of a vacation is to enjoy oneself and get away from the 9 to 5 grind most of us endore daily.

You shouldn't judge people for what they wear........

Enjoy......

Garry:

I see your a newbie....

We have all learned to ignore Tumeroll. Most of his responses are to offend people. Our saying here for him is "Dont feed the trolls"....

Wow. You're getting some bad advice and opinions from some on here.

I will direct you to Carnivals requirements:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

The dress code pertains to adults AND children.

Remember, there's a difference between being seen, and being noticed!

Bon voyage!

Ok - Here is the policy that I was directed to......

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

So according to Carnival's own policy slacks, shirt and tie will meet the requirements for the "formal night" for any male who would like to attend. It does not day tie and slacks and coat any where in the policy. Casual resort wear is an option. Oh, yea, by the way, our family is not worried about being seen or noticed... LOL :-) Just to have a fun relaxing vacation.

Thanks again for all your comments......:)

Archived