Wow....Hal shouldn't have ticked me off....

alwaysfrantic

WELL guess what???? you're not the only one............. I just wrote to my TA and told them to cancel our Noordam 21 day trip and we are seriously considering the Celebrity Eclipse even if it is for 14 days........... our travelling companions are going to be doing the same thing..... Now to figure out how to delete that sailing from my list...

Just go into the user CP and go into your signature. Delete your countdown clocks and save.

I hope you enjoy Celebrity. I've found them to be a hot mess.

We loved the Eclipse! The spa suite was small'ish (just a regular size balcony cabin really) but everything else was excellent, especially the included Blu dining room.

And, in case you're interested ~ I purchased their premium beverage package and my DH took the regular package. Well worth every penny for each of us (especially since I have a pesky specialty coffee "thing" and those few cups of mocha latte daily can add up!). I was able to order excellent wine, my favorite cosmo, taste wine before purchasing a bottle, etc. ;)

Thanks! The ship looks beautiful, actually more to my "style" if that makes any sense. And Costco has such a good onboard credit offer for bookings right now that it would be worth more than the OBB credit I have for Noordam.

I never expected to be looking at a new trip....yet here I am!

Thanks! The ship looks beautiful, actually more to my "style" if that makes any sense. And Costco has such a good onboard credit offer for bookings right now that it would be worth more than the OBB credit I have for Noordam.

I never expected to be looking at a new trip....yet here I am!

don't forget to go to the HAL boards future cruiser's list - we'll happily add you and wish you bon voyage.:D

and please come back and give us your opinions - I have a feeling some will be interested:D

have a great cruise and a wonderful time:)

Sorry Lorene - but it's not the wine thing anymore - it's the way HAL has handled the whole thing and the replies without addressing any concerns.

I don't expect them to 'give me' anything - but I do expect them to have a little empathy and not just send the pat reply that was plastered across the FB page.

I also expect someone who is in customer service to understand the word empathy - I certainly had some when I did it. yeah, you're right - I better get off the boards.

I also sent several messages to HAL and posted on Facebook (FB) and all I got was the comment they posted on FB. I was upset at their lack of empathy and lack of respect to their customers. Sometimes one must WALK THE TALK........... I cancelled my cruise.

This is a textbook Business Sense 101 case of a company not following the simplest, cheapest and proven techniques for customer relations. You are a loyal, vocal and high end customer who makes the case for splurging when appropriate (most expensive ship, unique itineraries, penthouse suite, hosted parties).

The boilerplate response to you and others extends and magnifies HAL's original mistake: the significant change in policy with no notice. Their lack of foresight in rolling out a new program, including lack of standardized information and training for all customer-facing staff, is atrocious. The haphazard roll out mid-cruise(!) that KirkNC and others witnessed is ridiculous. All of this could have been avoided had HAL spent 10 minutes talking with any traveler, frontline customer service rep or man on the street and asking them what they thought would happen.

HAL has every right to change anything they like for their bottom line. However, their lack of transparency, poor execution, lack of apology for their initial mistaken roll out and their apparent inability to grasp that backtracking after public outcry without acknowledgment that they upset their loyal fans does not bode well for their future in a very competitive marketplace.

For the record, my first HAL cruise (selected for the itinerary) is in a few weeks. I don't drink wine and am not affected one way or the other on this particular policy. The concern this raises goes more to HAL's regard for customer relations and commitment to loyal customers with concerns.

Such is your positive presence, Kazu, that the thought of you and others who fill this HAL board with so much information and insight would "jump ship" to another line makes me a bit dispirited.

I don't hold out much hope for a corporate entity that has botched this much for so many days without putting someone in authority out front to take a stand, explain the policy, answer all questions and remind us of why HAL has so many fans but perhaps they will surprise us all. The clock is ticking though.

Well said........

To each his or her own. I have sailed quite happily with other lines, but I prefer HAL. The idea that anyone would allow the alcohol policy, or the smoking policy, or any one directive, to so influence their purchasing decisions that they decide to forego HAL is ludicrous to me. I have sailed on many a ship, to many a port, without having any alcohol at all. It IS possible to have fun without a wine glass in hand.

I don't think people are changing for the sole reason of the change in the alcohol policy. If you read this board over the past year, it seems HAL has been on a downward spiral for awhile, with more and more passengers returning disgruntled. Even many of the long time loyal cheerleaders have been complaining. I think the change in the alcohol policy, or more specifically, how HAL handled it, has been "the straw that broke the camel's back".

I don't think people are changing for the sole reason of the change in the alcohol policy. If you read this board over the past year, it seems HAL has been on a downward spiral for awhile, with more and more passengers returning disgruntled. Even many of the long time loyal cheerleaders have been complaining. I think the change in the alcohol policy, or more specifically, how HAL handled it, has been "the straw that broke the camel's back".

At some point it's time to move on yet it seems that others want to be begged to stay. Sometimes it's good to leave something that you are tired of and come back with fresh eyes or move on entirely. Why keep beating a dead horse hoping it will come back to life?

Funny (not laughable, just odd). I used to be the kind of person who said, "Doesn't matter what line I'm on, as long as I'm on a ship". I still feel that way to a certain degree, but have developed, over time, a preference for HAL. It would take a major kerfuffle to get me to stop sailing with them.

Incidentally, I was on a HAL ship (the MS Rotterdam) from June 22 to June 29, in the Norwegian Fjords. I had a BLAST. Nothing had changed since my last cruise in June 2011 - in fact, everything was perfect. So the increasing complaints may be valid, but I choose to continue to sail with HAL :)

Funny (not laughable, just odd). I used to be the kind of person who said, "Doesn't matter what line I'm on, as long as I'm on a ship". I still feel that way to a certain degree, but have developed, over time, a preference for HAL. It would take a major kerfuffle to get me to stop sailing with them.

Incidentally, I was on a HAL ship (the MS Rotterdam) from June 22 to June 29, in the Norwegian Fjords. I had a BLAST. Nothing had changed since my last cruise in June 2011 - in fact, everything was perfect. So the increasing complaints may be valid, but I choose to continue to sail with HAL :)

OK....a major "kefuffle" would keep you from sailing HAL. Inquiring minds want to know what that is... You put us down for this immediate policy change "kerfuffle". We may think yours is foolish, as well!! We all have different things that are important to us and it's sort of presumptuous to judge.

Those of you who are most upset appear to be the most upset because you had some vision of HAL as a friend or a home away from home or a place like Cheers where everybody knows your name.

But guess what? HAL is a business. They aren't your pal, they aren't your neighbor, they aren't your friend. You're not in a relationship except for a contractual one, and HAL writes the contract. That's what end of the bargain you're on. ;)

Take your business elsewhere--that's your right. But this talk (on [the incredibly high number of] other threads, too) of broken hearts and sadness . . . my goodness. HAL is a cruise line trying to make money. That's what they want: your money. Not your love and affection.

</end rant>

OK....a major "kefuffle" would keep you from sailing HAL. Inquiring minds want to know what that is... You put us down for this immediate policy change "kerfuffle". We may think yours is foolish, as well!! We all have different things that are important to us and it's sort of presumptuous to judge.[/quote

I have been lurking on these threads, LindaM, but I am pretty sure that same (very good) question has been presented to Cruise or Lose a few times and he/she has declined to offer that info.

I have to agree with the posts that you and Kazu (among othes) have made regarding this issue. To try implement this immediately was nasty particularly for those who were past final payment. I'm not convinced, as others have suggested that this new wine policy will lead to higher revenues and keep the cost of HAL cruises stable. But, even if it does, HAL will have less value for me as ANOTHER of the things I enjoyed with HAL has disappeared. For me its not about spending less, it is about my value for what I do spend. Hopefully this will lead to a revision of the wine list and improved service in the MDR. I would also like to see policy that would allow passengers to pay a fee to bring on their own wine. Just a few bottles even.

Those of you who are most upset appear to be the most upset because you had some vision of HAL as a friend or a home away from home or a place like Cheers where everybody knows your name.

But guess what? HAL is a business. They aren't your pal, they aren't your neighbor, they aren't your friend. You're not in a relationship except for a contractual one, and HAL writes the contract. That's what end of the bargain you're on. ;)

Take your business elsewhere--that's your right. But this talk (on [the incredibly high number of] other threads, too) of broken hearts and sadness . . . my goodness. HAL is a cruise line trying to make money. That's what they want: your money. Not your love and affection.

</end rant>

I guess we just thought our business was valued. Thank you for your sound advice - as posted - I'm already researching.

thanks for inviting us to leave - I am sure HAL will appreciate it (and the stockholders) when they are selling off cabins for $199 - I'm sure those people will pay a lot of money on board:rolleyes: NOT!

btw - here's a tip - if you don't like a thread you don't have to read it! If it doesn't concern you that many HAL posters are coming on to post on this issue - that many loyalists are looking to leave - then you have blinders on.

Businesses don't succeed if they don't have customers. and while those posting may be in the minority - (or so we think) there are readers here and readers on face book.

We know business 101 thank you very much - HAL has failed abysmally at communicating.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it - if you don't want to read it - then you don't have to - or you can just put me on ignore.

Does Celebrity have a walking deck like HAL? That is something we really enjoy and are looking at moving to X as well.

The walking areas on X ships are on the upper decks, circling the area above the pool. There are areas on the lower decks ( deck 5 on Solstice class and not sure the number on the other classes) but you cannot circumnavigate the entire ship on these decks although on the Solstice class ships the deck is fairly long. (Also one side, usually the port side, is the smoking deck. ( hint if you do consider booking X and you don't want to smell cigarette smoke avoid staterooms above the portside "promenade" deck)

Do you know what has been the saddest part of the last few days of discussion re the wine issue? It has been watching people who have been friendly with each other for a long time start to tear each other apart.

I have, for the most part, just been observing and feeling worse as the issue drags on. I like our little community here and am hoping it can repair itself.

I actually pulled up other cruise lines to see what else was out there. While the wine policy on Celebrity is the same, I can sail on a lovely ship for 14 nights instead of 11, similar ports, similar room, for about the same price.

It looks lovely. I would not have really "gone shopping" for other options had it not been for their weekend proclamations.

Now I don't know what to do!

We did a 12 day cruise on Celebrity's Solstice in March and loved it though we did find the ship to be too big for us. It wasn't crowded at all as there are a lot of public rooms, it just took too long to go from A to B and our verandah cabin was very tight, not a lot of room and the bathroom was also small. We were in Aqua Class and I would only book that again on Celebrity as we loved the Blu Dining Room. The food was good especially the Buffet for lunch and if you want a change, then Celebrity is worth trying.

Jennie

Do you know what has been the saddest part of the last few days of discussion re the wine issue? It has been watching people who have been friendly with each other for a long time start to tear each other apart.

I have, for the most part, just been observing and feeling worse as the issue drags on. I like our little community here and am hoping it can repair itself.

I have my doubts. I find it very distressing to be basically called a moron when I can't see something on an iPad. It happened more than once. That has been about the nicest thing that has been said. When you get beaten on any time you post something it wears you down. I really see very little value in being here. I said I would post from my Oosterdam cruise but I really don't see the point anymore ............

I have my doubts. I find it very distressing to be basically called a moron when I can't see something on an iPad. It happened more than once. That has been about the nicest thing that has been said. When you get beaten on any time you post something it wears you down. I really see very little value in being here. I said I would post from my Oosterdam cruise but I really don't see the point anymore ............

It certainly is all very disheartening. There have been more than enough hurt feelings to go around. I have never before suggested a topic should be shut down but this one seems to be doing great harm to our board.

Not on the ships I've been on. I'm talking one that goes all the way around.

I would like to try Celebrity and we have a Hawaii cruise booked for next April on the Solstice. I also really like their TA itineraries. The lack of a promenade deck like the HAL ships really has me having second thoughts though. I don't know how I'll enjoy all those sea days without a beautiful teak deck to walk around.

Archived