Steak House Info?

I Luv Crusin

I just booked my next cruise and was thinking of booking the steakhouse. I've heard many different things about dress and tips in the steakhouse but this is what the website says:

*Please note: Steakhouses are only available on Conquest-class, Spirit-class, Splendor-class and Dream-class ships. Please refer to Carnival.com to see if your ship has a steakhouse onboard. Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. If requested time is full, the next available time slot will be assigned. Dress Code is Cruise Elegant. Jeans allowed on Cruise Casual evenings. The $35 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staff's gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free. Please allow 2 1/2 hours for dining experience.

Has the gratuity policy changed again? It was always included but last time I cruised in the spring we were told it wasn't included. Hmmm. Has this changed?

I just booked my next cruise and was thinking of booking the steakhouse. I've heard many different things about dress and tips in the steakhouse but this is what the website says:

*Please note: Steakhouses are only available on Conquest-class, Spirit-class, Splendor-class and Dream-class ships. Please refer to Carnival.com to see if your ship has a steakhouse onboard. Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis. If requested time is full, the next available time slot will be assigned. Dress Code is Cruise Elegant. Jeans allowed on Cruise Casual evenings. The $35 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staff's gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free. Please allow 2 1/2 hours for dining experience.

Has the gratuity policy changed again? It was always included but last time I cruised in the spring we were told it wasn't included. Hmmm. Has this changed?

Nothing has changed. No shorts.

The gratuity (15%) is included, and yes, a former Carnival executive told me this (we paid for dinner, he paid for drinks, my bill was more). When we eat in the steakhouse, we always leave more. Even before we knew.

The same hold true for when it was known as a supper club

does it really take 2 1/2 hours? i have a reservation but dont hink i want to be there that long

The BEST steakhouse at sea (of all the major lines). Still a bargain at $35. We also tip extra - typically $20 for the two of us.

You can let your server know right off the bat how you'd like your meal served, from a time standpoint. If you want to have it go slow (2.5-3 hrs) they can accommodate. If you'd like to be out in 1.5 hours, again - not a problem. Since we dine there virtually every night, we tend to enjoy a shorter experience. Don't think I'd want to be there for 2-3 hours each night of the cruise!

Tom

It's ALWAYS been included. Who was it that told you it wasn't?

It is good but not on same level as say a Morton's.

Do miss the porterhouse though.

I agree with golf. It's not as good as a NY Steak house.

We've tried Ruth's Chris, Bern's (Tampa), and Prime (Bellagio) two times each. Overall I prefer the Carnival product... YES, I can't believe I'm saying that! While I've had good steaks and service, for the most part, at the aforementioned places. Carnival is, for the money, the best deal hands down IMO. We have experienced some less than stellar situations on Carnival, but that's over MANY (70..80.. ?) meals there.

Tom

I agree with golf. It's not as good as a NY Steak house.

Which is probably OK, since you are at sea and not at a New York Steakhouse.;) I agree with Tom. A very good meal at a reasonable price. Wish all their ships had one.

We've tried Ruth's Chris, Bern's (Tampa), and Prime (Bellagio) two times each. Overall I prefer the Carnival product... YES, I can't believe I'm saying that! While I've had good steaks and service, for the most part, at the aforementioned places. Carnival is, for the money, the best deal hands down IMO. We have experienced some less than stellar situations on Carnival, but that's over MANY (70..80.. ?) meals there.

Tom

If only those you mentioned (and others) were $35/person.:eek:

The BEST steakhouse at sea (of all the major lines). Still a bargain at $35. We also tip extra - typically $20 for the two of us.

You can let your server know right off the bat how you'd like your meal served, from a time standpoint. If you want to have it go slow (2.5-3 hrs) they can accommodate. If you'd like to be out in 1.5 hours, again - not a problem. Since we dine there virtually every night, we tend to enjoy a shorter experience. Don't think I'd want to be there for 2-3 hours each night of the cruise!

Tom

Never thought to do that. Thanks.

Usually takes 2 2 1/2 hours but last year we took our 1 year old at the time, grandson and service was worst ever and took 3 hours.

Tom

I think I've had better deals, but not at any high dollar, high overhead type places. More like out in the country type of places that only locals might know about. No ambiance, but some serious and inexpensive steaks.

On cruise lines, can't help but notice that RCCL's porterhouse is 18 oz, the same weight as Carnival's ribeye, and the ribeye is a better steak to most people.

I think I've had better deals, but not at any high dollar, high overhead type places. More like out in the country type of places that only locals might know about. No ambiance, but some serious and inexpensive steaks.

On cruise lines, can't help but notice that RCCL's porterhouse is 18 oz, the same weight as Carnival's ribeye, and the ribeye is a better steak to most people.

Not only that, but Carnival is the only one which carries Prime grade beef. NCL, Celebrity, and RCI don't... that speaks volumes to me.

(Edit -- On the NCL Breakaway their "fancy" seafood place - OCEAN BLUE - carries one steak, and it's a prime grade ribeye. Odd that it's there, and not in Cagney's!)

Tom

No doubt! When the steak alone approaches $50-100, you know you're going to have a big check coming your way!

Tom

True enough, Morton's the porterhouse was $70 and each side was between 8-15 (although they have an app of beefsteak tomatos and gargonzola and vinigarette that is to die for), add a drink and bottle of wine and you get an "oh baby" when the check comes (unless it is a business dinner:cool:).

Not only that, but Carnival is the only one which carries Prime grade beef. NCL, Celebrity, and RCI don't... that speaks volumes to me.

(Edit -- On the NCL Breakaway their "fancy" seafood place - OCEAN BLUE - carries one steak, and it's a prime grade ribeye. Odd that it's there, and not in Cagney's!)

Tom

Spice rubbed ribeye medium rare.....my stomach is growling and its early!

Can't help but notice Carnival REMOVED the Porterhouse from their menu.

Archived