luggage question!

don't know which forum to put this in, maybe someone will move it to the proper forum, anyhoo..........

i'm in search of some nice, spinner, hardbodied/hard sided inexpensive (read: cheap) luggage

anyone have experience or recommendations?

i got some Heys Valet 2 piece (21" & 27") at Sams Club, for $109.00 for the set, great price, but seems a bit flimsy, so i'm kinda leary

anyway, recommendations and suggestions greatly appreciated!!

I bought a really nice 5 piece set in 2010. It was made by Caribbean Joe and has really served me well. It has been through 3 cruises so far, a flight to Tucson and quite a number of road trips. It still looks brand new. I love the 360 degree spinny wheels. That was a must! Mine is bright greenish blue. Very tropical. :)

don't know which forum to put this in, maybe someone will move it to the proper forum, anyhoo..........

i'm in search of some nice, spinner, hardbodied/hard sided inexpensive (read: cheap) luggage

i got some Heys Valet 2 piece (21" & 27") at Sams Club, for $109.00 for the set, great price, but seems a bit flimsy, so i'm kinda leary

Cheap and flimsy

You get what you pay for is my experience

You'll probably get 2, maybe 3 trips out of them.

We decided we will spend a bit more for our next set, we usually by cheap sets that only last a couple years. By the third year my wheels have given out and I'm dragging my luggage through the terminal.

Do you have any Ross stores in your area? That is where I get my luggage. They usually have a very nice selection at a fraction of the price.

This made me laugh. When we cruise we are limited to 1 piece of luggage, plus a small carry on. We usually have 4-6 traveling in the same car/van, so space is limited. I was in Ross's the other day and they had a piece of luggage so big a person could literally fit into it. I don't know how anyone could even move that one around. But I was like "look,that is going to be my 1 piece of luggage", Almost bought it as a joke.

And I bet that large piece of luggage was very affordable :) Next time you want to save money on taking one of your family members?!?!? You might want to go back and get it. Lol

PS - If you are cruising out of Galveston there is also a little store in La Marque by a Mexican food restaurant across from the Super 8 that has the luggage that fully spins around. I believe they were $99 there. I will try to find actual names and report back.

This made me laugh. When we cruise we are limited to 1 piece of luggage, plus a small carry on. We usually have 4-6 traveling in the same car/van, so space is limited. I was in Ross's the other day and they had a piece of luggage so big a person could literally fit into it. I don't know how anyone could even move that one around. But I was like "look,that is going to be my 1 piece of luggage", Almost bought it as a joke.

I just purchased a 29" spinner from Ross for $49.00. I looked online to get other pieces and found I could purchase a 5 pc. set for $160. I'm thinking of taking it back and purchasing the entire set.

I purchased a 3 pc set (29", 24", and 21", not a spinner, but just plain wheels) from Big Lots about 5 years ago. It's been on several vacations and cruises. It was $79 for the set. If you have a Big Lots or a Ross they usually have some good pieces.

A consideration about the spinners- Usually the extra 2 wheel add about a pound of weight. Also there is more room inside a 2-wheeled 22" than a 22" spinner.

Poly material is better than ABS.

For durability--

DD has schlepped a Jordache 24" (26"?) brown tweed 4wheel suitcase LAX-FCO (with 1-2 plane changes, trains and cobblestones) at least 10 times. All the wheels are still intact. Extremely lightweight. Bought it at Goodwill for $5.

mRz6q2sDne8ECrYvvXRpBVQ.jpg

From you username I am assuming you are in Texas. In most malls, or used to be, there is a chain called Bag'nBaggage, I worked for them years ago. At least look there, maybe more expensive but they can make recommendations for you needs.

If you are not flying a lot, just about anything will do. Because I worked there we have some high end luggage, but when we were going on a trip to Europe, we bought some Samsonite that had updated wheels and handle to make it easier to get through airports. Not exactly sure what we spent, but it seems it was around $160-$180 for a 29" piece. I was never a big fan of Samsonite when I was selling luggage, but this was a good deal for us.

Advice from a former luggage salesman. Don't worry about too much about how it looks, get what will work best for you and your travel style. If you are flying, do not get the cheapest thing you can find; you may be sorry. Get something in the middle price range, check the outlets because like every industry, this change fro year to year and just because it is out of style does not mean it will not work. We used to sale pieces for 40-60% off because a pattern is out of style.

We had a "set" that we'd accumulated over the years from Walmart. We had them about 12 years they had been on many planes and cruises as business trips, conferences, and road trips. They were all 2 wheeled. They still had all their wheels and zippers, but were starting to lose zipper pulls and about half the little stands on the bottom that countered the height of the wheels had been knocked off.

A couple years ago I saw a lovely red set in Marshalls while we were Christmas shopping for the grandkids. I couldn't justify spending the money at that time. But my daughter noticed and said something to my husband. He, in turn went and bought the whole set for me as my Christmas gift.

When I looked my set up online all the pieces would have sold for $950+ and he bought4 pieces for just under $300 there at Marshals.

I recently bought a suitcase at Walmart. It's the traveler's club hybrid. It's got elements of hard sided and softside. It has two sides so that you can split things up. It has 4 spinner wheels and is very light weight. Plus, it seems very sturdy.

Ross, Marshalls, TJMaxx Burlington, WalMart and Target all have great luggage that won't break the back, but your best bet is probably the first four.

I agree- especially with your first 4 suggestions LOL. As another poster who was a former luggage salesman said- like any other "fashion statement", luggage has seasons and styles. They can go 40-60% off because they are out of style. Thats the type of luggage you can pick up at Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and Burlington.

I could care less what "season" my luggage is- as long as it works!

I have an Atlantic (little seahorse emblem) set but I am on the market for a new set because it has lasted my family for years and does not have 360 wheels. If it wasn't for the 360 wheels I wouldn't be shopping- buy right and buy once (for the most part).

Actually- on my last cruise my friends cheap luggage popped as she was lifting it onto the bed at a hotel in Miami leaving a gigantic rip with no handles! We had to scour Lincoln Road before the cruise to find a new one!

I love my Samsonite spinner set that I bought Tuesday Morning. My husband is on a plane every week for business and it still looks amazing. It has also been through 2 cruises. No damage since May 2012.

Archived