Tampa - Picking Up/Dropping Off Rental Car at Embassy Suites

agp_mzk

Hello,

We are sailing out of Tampa on the 5th. We will be driving down, but none of us owns a vehicle large enough to haul four people plus luggage, so we decided to rent a small SUV. We have two one-way rentals arranged with Budget, and the cheapest pick-up/drop-off point in Tampa was the Embassy Suites.

How far is the Embassy Suites from the port? What will be the best way to get to/from the hotel to the port?

Thanks for your help!

Hello,

We are sailing out of Tampa on the 5th. We will be driving down, but none of us owns a vehicle large enough to haul four people plus luggage, so we decided to rent a small SUV. We have two one-way rentals arranged with Budget, and the cheapest pick-up/drop-off point in Tampa was the Embassy Suites.

How far is the Embassy Suites from the port? What will be the best way to get to/from the hotel to the port?

Thanks for your help!

Google Maps is showing 1.1 miles if I have the correct Embassy Suites. Apparently they have an Avis location there.

Also, I would think a large car would be less expensive than a SUV and should be big enough for four people and luggage unless all of you are over-packers (a common affliction with beginning cruisers).

The main reason you're getting a better rate is because you're not dropping off at the airport where there are a lot more taxes and recovery fees. I presume you're picking your car up at a neighborhood location rather than an airport as well. If not, see if there is a neighborhood location close to you and check those rates as well.

Yes, we found that the off-airport locations were considerably more affordable, and also more convenient. Our pick-up location is only about 2 miles from my house.

The price difference between a large car and a small SUV was about $10. Split between four people, it just made sense to go for the larger vehicle, especially for an 11 hour drive!

Yes, we found that the off-airport locations were considerably more affordable, and also more convenient. Our pick-up location is only about 2 miles from my house.

The price difference between a large car and a small SUV was about $10. Split between four people, it just made sense to go for the larger vehicle, especially for an 11 hour drive!

Since you are coming from out of state, is Budget charging you a drop charge?

I'm sure that somewhere in all of the miscellaneous "fees", there is something added in for us picking up and dropping off in different locations. None of the fees are particularly high, though, and they aren't named, so who knows...We got a good overall rate, so we didn't really care how it broke down.

Glad to hear that we are a very affordable cab ride from the port!

I'm sure that somewhere in all of the miscellaneous "fees", there is something added in for us picking up and dropping off in different locations. None of the fees are particularly high, though, and they aren't named, so who knows...We got a good overall rate, so we didn't really care how it broke down.

Glad to hear that we are a very affordable cab ride from the port!

You would know it if there was a drop charge in there. It would be $150-$250, but just to make sure it's not going to be added on in Tampa call them and make sure.

Where are you coming from?

Thanks for all of your help! We are coming from Knoxville, TN.

We were not going to be charged a drop fee. However, I stumbled onto a discount code through my work that I wasn't aware of before yesterday, and I was able to rebook us for a week-long rental that, even with parking charges at the port, will be significantly less than our original reservation. :)

Leaving in just a couple of days now!

Thanks for all of your help! We are coming from Knoxville, TN.

We were not going to be charged a drop fee. However, I stumbled onto a discount code through my work that I wasn't aware of before yesterday, and I was able to rebook us for a week-long rental that, even with parking charges at the port, will be significantly less than our original reservation. :)

Leaving in just a couple of days now!

In Cozumel hire a taxi for 4 hours. It will cost you about $80, but for four people that will be a cheap excursion with your own private driver. From Puerto Maya go south away from San Miguel and off the grid. Go to the beach club at Playa Palancar where you can hire a snorkeling trip to the reef, para-sailing, have some margaritas or cerveza, guacamole, lunch, sit in the palapas on the beach, sunbathe or swim or kayak...

CarnivalFantasy1-26-08143.jpg

CarnivalFantasy1-26-08141.jpg

When you've had your fill at Playa Palancar then hail your driver who is standing by and drive down to the lighthouse at Punta Sur or on over to Playa Bonita to sit on their patio watching the surf, have a drink, etc.

CarnivalFantasy1-26-08167.jpg

Circle on around the island and then stop off at the Mayan ruins in the center of the island.

Thank you for the suggestion. Those pictures are mouth-watering! We have spots booked at Nachi Cocom beach club for Cozumel. But Playa Palancar looks amazing as well.

We'll be starting the drive in a little under 24 hours! I can't wait!!

Thank you for the suggestion. Those pictures are mouth-watering! We have spots booked at Nachi Cocom beach club for Cozumel. But Playa Palancar looks amazing as well.

We'll be starting the drive in a little under 24 hours! I can't wait!!

Playa Palacar is where the locals go. There's no cover charge, you just pay for what you order.

Archived